PDA

View Full Version : LA Flying Schools?

MichaelJP59
6th May 2004, 10:52
I'm away in Los Angeles next week, and hoping to get some flying in over there, a few questions though, if anyone can help:

- does a lesson over there count as time towards my PPL here?

- if not, should I even log it?

- anyone got any recommendations for a good flying school in the LA area?

Thanks,
- Michael
(PPL student)

Keef
6th May 2004, 14:42
It counts if the school is JAA approved. However, to have a lesson over there you need a visa, which you won't have time to get. To take a lesson without a visa is illegal, so don't do it!

MichaelJP59
6th May 2004, 15:53
Right, I didn't realise you needed a visa.

Does that apply even if it is not a lesson but a demonstration flight i.e. I don't take control?

- Michael

Charlie Zulu
6th May 2004, 17:25
Yes the visa requirement still applies as a demonstration flight is normally sold as a trial lesson or introductory lesson.

Because you don't have a licence then any flying you do with an instructor will be "under instruction" if you take control or not.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Keef
6th May 2004, 18:51
Basically, if you touch the controls the FAA could decide you were receiving flying training. Don't risk it.

If you can find a non-instructor PPL who is prepared to take you for a jolly round SoCal, that could be fun. I just got back from two weeks touring California, Nevada, and Arizona and it was wonderful. The aircraft rental was less than it costs me to put the fuel in the UK based aircraft I fly (the same make and model, too).

MichaelJP59
6th May 2004, 20:16
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a miss then this time given the complications.

- Michael

englishal
7th May 2004, 07:38
Basically, if you touch the controls the FAA could decide you were receiving flying training. Don't risk it.
And as we all know, each light aircraft in the USA is fitted with a "homeland security" agent on the back seat......

There is nothing illegal about "renting" a FI to take you for a trip as far as I know, its not the FAA who give two hoots on your immigration status anyway, its the FBI / HS......Get him to take you to "Big Bear" and a jolly to Catalina while you're there, great places.

EA

Sensible
7th May 2004, 07:52
Michael, it might be better if you post here asking if anybody is going to LA hourbuilding and offer to share the cost of the aircraft. The LA basin is really for more experienced pilots anyway because of intensive air traffic control due to the high volume of both jet and general aviation aircraft.

If you were to undertake any flight training and get caught then it will prejudice your future visits to the USA.

Enjoy your visit

MichaelJP59
7th May 2004, 07:59
I'm only there for a few days anyway so was really thinking of an hour or two on a purely "sightseeing" flight, not any sort of training towards my PPL.

Anyway, after some more searches on here I think I now understand the visa situation.

Thanks,
- Michael

PhilD
7th May 2004, 08:19
Sensible

Speaking as someone who flew a rented plane around the LA basin on my first flying outside the UK with <100hrs total time, I can assure you that it is no more difficult than the South East of England, and in some respects (e.g flight following) it is easier.