PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting in Africa this winter

Big Haboobs
6th May 2004, 09:33
I've searched the threads and know that there has been some chat on this subject, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have just got my fATPL with 200 hrs TT, 25 multi. Thinking of doing an FIC in England and instructing for the summer - perhaps get those hours up to 400 or so - and then head off to check out the seasonal charter market in Africa. I understand Botswana is the place to be?

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's done this before - job prospects, pay (if any), when to go, what they want etc.

Many thanks

BH

B Sousa
6th May 2004, 18:18
You fixed wing types are lucky. There is a chance for work at 200 hours. As to Helicopters nobody will look at you in the states without 1000-1500 and an Instrument ticket.
You could always have fun though. Get a sign around your neck and head for Capetown before it gets to cold.
The sign should say "Show me Big Habboobs"........

fireitup
7th May 2004, 09:59
Until the goose lays the egg...head up to maun or windhoek and build command time, very important!!

We all have been there, keep CV'S with all the charter/contract queens!!

good luck
Fire:ok:

Big Haboobs
7th May 2004, 15:53
BSousa

The States?
Helicopters?

Am I missing something?

4HolerPoler
7th May 2004, 17:50
Don't worry Big H; you'll get used to Bert. He's a regular and if it ain't the USofA, Vegas in particular, choppers or getting slammed in SA then it ain't jack. Bert relates all else in life to these cornerstones of society. Carry on.

No offense Bert. Keep your revs up fella. Buy you a drink one day.

4HP

B Sousa
7th May 2004, 21:42
Big Ha Boobs writes:

BSousa

The States?
Helicopters?

Am I missing something?

Well I dont know are you missing something or is it your not getting the message. Im just saying that you stand a better chance flying fixed wing with low time than helicopters........just a comment. In the states Insurance is the big problem, in africa not as much as some have seen, Although rates are catching up quick.

And yes I have and continue to fly a bit in Africa.....
As to jobs others who are currently there will fill you in........
Enjoy the forum...........

boeingbus2002
8th May 2004, 16:28
BSouza
You got any details of those who want low timers?!!
Would my 300 hrs be too much!! :E :E

Blue Skies

B Sousa
8th May 2004, 17:18
As I said others who are currently there can fill you in. It appears to be the only place in the world where lowtimers can get work.........

yachtpilot
9th May 2004, 05:36
Can anyone advise on the best place to try in Africa for work...I find sending unsolicited CV's from Europe a waste of time...I hold an FAA ALTP ( UK Citizen ) plus a UK CPL/IR and have 6750 hrs total...6250 Turbo-prop...would ideally like work on a Twotter...
Any suggestions.. ??

little-paddy
25th May 2004, 21:18
Can anyone tell me the best or required license for Africa? Is it better to go with the FAA CPL/IR or JAA? Are both acceptable as long as it is Icao?

Thanks,

L-P

Herc Jerk
28th May 2004, 00:28
YachtPilot;

You might like to try Zimex and/or Schriener (sp?). Both have contracts in various parts of the dark continent, rotational work and decent/steady pay.

Happy sailing

HJ

p.s. sorry low time guys, these companies are not entry-level.

bluesafrica
28th May 2004, 00:52
Correct spelling is SCHREINER AIRWAYS BV. They are working still in Lagos Nigeria as ACN (Aero Contractors) and in many other places...
Blues:ok:

arugbarbarroja
29th May 2004, 12:14
Do you know the SCHREINER AIRWAYS BV web page?

Good information, thank you.

cpt hamna sheeda
29th May 2004, 12:23
http://www.schreiner.nl

arugbarbarroja
29th May 2004, 13:10
Thanks, but there are no info in that page, only "welcome" but without any link.

bluesafrica
29th May 2004, 15:25
Try ACN's web page directly. (Schreiner company in Nigeria)

http://www.acn.aero/

Blues:ok:

arugbarbarroja
29th May 2004, 16:03
Thanks Bluesafrica, thatīs the page I was looking for.

DUXNUTZ
15th Jun 2004, 05:51
Howdy...

Rumours abound, but am curious types of aircraft that are flown in Maun and whether rocking up with 1500hrs (bush time in s/e aircraft) would get you a look in.

Anyone?