PDA

View Full Version : Open cockpit headsets & helmet advice please

yawningdog
5th May 2004, 21:49
Could anyone recommend the best headset & helmet combination for an open cockpit microlight with no windscreen? Airspeed no greater than 50mph.

I'm trying to decide between "COMUNICA", "MICRO AVIONICS", "FLYCOM" and "LYNX".

Is the "Side Tone" facility in the Micro Avionics headset actually useful?

Any suggestions please?

bar shaker
6th May 2004, 07:07
Yawningdog

The best of those, by some margin, is the Flycoms.

I switched to them and they are a revellation. Very comfortable, draught free, excellent viz and the removal of virtually all outside noise thanks to the Peltor DNR hardware inside. The result is your RT will be crystal clear and you don't need the volume high to hear what's being said back (so good for your long term hearing ability).

I can't fault them and they are cheaper than most of the others on your list. Two helmets, the Icom adapter, power lead and the PTT will be less than £600.

yawningdog
6th May 2004, 08:26
Thanks, I'll check them out.

springers
6th May 2004, 08:40
Agree with Bar Shaker. Flycom is best by far in terms of performance and costs less than the others.

Flycom only promote their products on the web and rely on word of mouth, passing on the saving on advertising costs to their customers.

S

tacpot
6th May 2004, 22:06
I can add my endorsment of the service from Flycom, even though I haven't used their helmet/intercom.

T.

Genghis the Engineer
7th May 2004, 07:04
I've not used the Flycom, but do own a set of Communica equipment. Other than the irritatingly fragile telephone plugs with which they have an enduring love affair, the attenuation and comfort are excellent. Also they are just up the road from you in Winchester, so it might be worth driving up to try a set on.

I've also flown with Lynx quite a lot, and prefer their headsets (by a very small margin) although I've found my own Communica helmets more comfortable - even with the Lynx headsets. The Lynx headset plugs are very robust but do incorporate a positive latch which needs to be undone to exit the cockpit in a hurry - you need to decide for yourself whether that's a problem.

If you are flying totally open-cockpit, whichever make you go for, I'd recommend having a visor latch and a chin guard below the visor (the former is for obvious reasons, the latter stops deeply irritating drafts down your neck). All the main makes offer these, but not necessarily as standard fit.

G

FNG
7th May 2004, 13:48
Not specifically open-cockpit related, but does anyone have a recommendation for a helmet for use with bog standard DC headsets?

AerBabe
7th May 2004, 13:56
The bone dome kit they do is meant to be quite good - apparently they occasionally turn up second hand on Ebay and such places.

eharding
7th May 2004, 14:42
FNG,

DC K-Series helmets - an inner cloth/mesh suspension liner that a
'standard' 10-* series DC headset will fit into, which then
snaps into a thick plastic helmet shell. The snap connectors
are a sod though - even after reading the instructions
and working out they're directional - so it's not a 2 minute
job to install and remove the headset. Fairly light, after
a while you don't notice wearing it during aeros. For
what it is, a bit pricey - I shipped mine in from the US, and
even after DHL caught up with me for duty, still cheaper
than buying in the UK. Not sure about how much head protection
they would give over a 'proper' helmet, but they do stop
your headset falling off in negative G, which was the point
of the exercise, and I assume would give more head protection
than a cloth helmet. Oh, and deeply unflattering appearance.

Ed.

yawningdog
7th May 2004, 22:11
Thanks for the replies. I'm going for the Flycom.

FNG
8th May 2004, 07:12
Thanks Ed, that's very helpful. I'm partly looking for some lightweight head protection, and partly, as you guessed, for something to stop my headset falling off when lurching about upside down.

FNG
9th May 2004, 09:48
Ed, so far my Googling has not located a source for the helmet you describe (not even the DC website itself). Could you kindly point me to your supplier? Thanks.

Edit: found it, along with lots of other aerobatic goodies. Oh joy, a 9G kneeboard!

http://www.aerobaticproshop.com/david_clark_helmet_kit.htm

I must say that $386 seems a lot for a plastic helmet (compare the prices of skiing and climbing helmets).

eharding
9th May 2004, 13:39
FNG,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/dchelmet.php

...$336...I ordered 2, and the shipping was $98.36. After
duty, I think the unit price came at at about £250 - I note
T******r in the UK are quoting £285 inc delivery. Not cheap
by any means, considering what you get for the money, but
they seem to do the job...as usual, once the term "aviation"
enters the equation, the price seems to triple....

Ed.

Wide-Body
9th May 2004, 17:01
FNG

Don't mess about. If you need a helmet get a proper one. I use a kevlar Gentex with DC electronics. Alpha are about to produce a new lightweight called the Alpha Eagle.

I still have a share in the 52 with your name on it. Off all week if you want to claim that Chippy flight.

Regards

Wide

FNG
9th May 2004, 18:10
Cheers, Wide. My problem at present is that Mrs FNG has locked the sack of cash in a cave guarded by trolls and accountants. How is Monday? I plan to visit Evo at Goodwood but aim to be back Walthamwards circa 1500 local. Otherwise, later in the week as I have not much work on. We can discuss helmets over a beer (boys, eh?).

Ed, thanks for your PM. I'll email you.