PDA

View Full Version : flying both bus and boeing

alexban
5th May 2004, 20:26
Hy
Anyone knowing if there are pilots flying currently,both Buses and Boeings? For ex 737 and 320 family .Are there some airlines doing this in Europe?
What will require such a practice,beside CAA aproval ,i guess?
thks
Alex

Human Factor
5th May 2004, 20:40
It's not permitted except perhaps for certain company Chief Pilots (in theory) and CAA checkers. However, you can be dual rated on the 757/767 or the 767-400 (not that they've built any) and the 777. I've also heard that the intention is for the 7E7 and the 777 to be dual rated. You can also be dual rated on the A320 and A330. Not sure about the A340 though.

Justbelowcap
6th May 2004, 10:19
In BA we have a technical manager, FZ, who flies both the airbus and B757/767.

Re-Heat
6th May 2004, 10:19
It is simply too expensive to do 2+ sim rides every 6 months per person as opposed to 1 for all pilots if they had Airbus and Boeing ratings. It is also potentially dangerous to be rated on such different aircraft at the same time. I believe the CAA now allow chief pilots of fleets who are not rated across all the types they manage. Flight training and tech may be another matter though? (JustBelowCap confirms this as above! Replied at same time)

It is possible to be rated across the whole Airbus fleet as the differences are far fewer, with reduced conversion courses etc that make it more economic to have that flexibility from pilots.

PS Delta fly 767-400s, and the future JSTARS will be on that platform for USAF, which is definitely being built.

bankrupt
6th May 2004, 10:55
I personaly know a freelance pilot who flies both bus and boeing mixed, There is no regulation prohibiting it. Except that you may not do so on the same day in airline ops.

cheers