PDA

View Full Version : Rats jumping ship?

Underdog
5th May 2004, 13:45
Just received an email from BA saying that Captain Alan Stealey (Chief Pilot Longhaul aka General Manager) is resigning and is taking up post as Vice President Flight Ops. at Emirates.

Should we Nigels be worried or celebrating?

Underdog

Diesel
5th May 2004, 15:18
A little worried methinks......

White Knight
5th May 2004, 15:53
and should we desert rats be worried or celebrating????????

Roobarb
5th May 2004, 15:55
In don’t hear the sound of sobbing and fond farewell toasts to this particular individual.

I wonder if he might be able to persuade all his mates to leave too?

http://www.80scartoons.8k.com/roobarb10wee.gif

I’ll take on the opposition anyday. It’s my management I can’t beat!

Well thats Me
5th May 2004, 23:16
One less drain on the precious resources.

hec7or
6th May 2004, 21:40
dear chaps

as a recent visitor to my local jobcentre after my company ceased trading, leaving pax, crew, groundstaff and creditors in the lurch., and with a mortgage to pay and two preschool daughters to feed and clothe, might I humbly suggest that you lot have very little to worry about.

dontdoit
7th May 2004, 11:04
hec7or - from your post of 10th April 2004 (less than a month ago):

<<By a soupcon of misfortune, the real world beckons, with it come the franchises and the low costs. You see, the passengers pay the wages, not BA, despite how it may seem in your own little protectionist racket.

In the company I work for, we work with our management, not against them, this is why BALPA membership in our ex franchise operation is less than 50%.>>

What lesson have we learned? Management don't always know best, as your Duo experience has helped to prove. A large dose of cynicism about any airline "manager" is IMHO quite healthy. That is why the boys/girls posting above are more than entitled to say what they do. As you reminded us, "the real world beckons".

TDK mk2
7th May 2004, 13:08
I hereby nominate Lord Flashart to replace him in that position.

frangatang
8th May 2004, 07:13
Can mr TCAS take porky bannister with him,and why did porky leave early anyway,l thought management were allowed to carry on signing autographs until they were 60

hec7or
8th May 2004, 10:21
dontdoit

thanks for the reminder! my words have been eaten along with the humble pie.

woodpecker
9th May 2004, 18:11
I think he thought he was doing a good job, but during the 777 overhead rest issue he realised he was just one of Mike Jeffries pawns.

I used to like the man, but after the way he treated fifty retiring Captains over the restructuring/Christmas Bonus I changed my mind. (wrote to them all personally saying they would get the bonus like everybody else and then changed his mind, or was it changed for him?)

By the way, where did Porky go?

ETOPS
9th May 2004, 19:59
By the way, where did Porky go?

Retiring to Dorset or somewhere at the end of this month....

behind_the_second_midland
15th May 2004, 11:24
Porky's gone as well. Shirely to replace Stealey.

Lord_Flashhart
15th May 2004, 12:58
Thank you for the suggestion. However I am currently mulling over a job offer from Emirates and may be joining Captain Stealey.

However that said with ex RAF pilots now beginning to occupy very senior managemant positions in BA I may stay as I expect to see ex forces pilots treated better in the future.

I suspect some enhanced may be on the cards now.

LF

parcel
15th May 2004, 13:24
LF

Good idea - do join Emirates!
"I expect to see ex forces pilots treated better in the future."
May we take it that you mean better than non-ex-forces pilots, instead of fairly, along with everyone else. That would be a pity.
If ex-forces guys had to do some time with other little airlines before joining big airways, you might, just might, realise how well you actually are treated.

:)

BOAC
15th May 2004, 15:23
However that said with ex RAF pilots now beginning to occupy very senior managemant

Whaaat! Flash - are you saying Shirley is a crab?

Lord_Flashhart
15th May 2004, 16:14
No but GM shorthaul and SM Shorthaul are. Its only a matter if time.

Parcel

We all know deep down that the RAF and to a large extent the Royal Navy supply a far superior product to the Civilian world than a cadet entry or DEP system.

LF

TopBunk
15th May 2004, 16:43
LF

Alright I've finally bitten .... you really are either a supreme wind-up king ar a total pr@t.

Unfortunately for all us mere mortal BA pilots I think you are the latter. May I join the silent majority in directing you to the Emirates web site where your undoubted talents will gain their due recognition. You really are a disgrace to the civilian world.

I have had the pleasure of flying with many ex-forces pilots who I can say have been generally delightful to fly with - so I can't have flown with you .... yet. Be careful ... very careful!

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th May 2004, 17:27
Supreme - or at least persistent and blatant - wind up king.

Cheers

Lord_Flashhart
15th May 2004, 17:53
I am sick and tired of stating that I am not a "wind up king" or whichever particular Americanism that is levelled at me, usually by people with a poor command of English.

I did not enter this thread to debate the merits of ex RAF pilots that civilian companies are lucky to employ (my opinions on that are well documented elsewhere). I entered a post merely to highlight that sooner rather than later the higher echelons of BA will be filled with ex forces managers and this can only be good for the airline.

LF

Diesel
15th May 2004, 18:37
Lord Flash

Whatever the truth or otherwise of your assertions about the quality of various pilots, you utter arrogance is breathtaking.

Take a look at your comments again.

Diesel8
15th May 2004, 20:08
"ex RAF pilots that civilian companies are lucky to employ."

If you truly belive they are superior, then I am truly worried, perhaps you got your speedpants on backwards or your bonedome is too tight, seem to be cuting of the circulation to your head.

Great pilots are found equally on both sides of the Civil/MIL fence.

SecurID
15th May 2004, 20:46
We all know deep down that the RAF and to a large extent the Royal Navy supply a far superior product to the Civilian world than a cadet entry or DEP system

With that arrogant attitude, we in Dubai would rather you stay where you are. I have flown with good ex-military and bad ex-military, as well as good and bad cadets. Deep down you know that is true of most airlines.

mark exclamation
15th May 2004, 21:33
LF, I must say I pity you....as GODS gift to aviation (reminds me of the BOAC Captain going to heaven joke!) it must be difficult putting up with the rest of us!
Such a shame, as if you had joined Easyjet instead of BA you would have been Chief Pilot by now instead of floundering in the right hand seat of a Jumbo!

Anyway, we are being diverted from the original post by a bit of LF's bellyaching......
.......anyone shed light on why AS might have left and why Porky has chucked in the limelight which he seemed to crave for most of his career?.....is there even more trouble at mill?.... or are they just fed up being pawns?

Well thats Me
15th May 2004, 22:55
Flash
Quote >>> No but GM shorthaul and SM Shorthaul are.

Are you honestly saying BA has a GM and Sm for you pilots ( :uhoh: and each fleet !!!!!!!!! ) , no disrespect intended but what big MANAGEMENT decisions has to be made for pilots then? let me see now theres ............................................................ ............................................................ ............. and ............................................................ ........................
Oh but theres ..................................
Nope - i cant think of a single one,what on earth do they do then? :{ :{:

yachtpilot
16th May 2004, 05:18
Whenever I make the mistake of reading one of 'FlashFart's posts I start the same old debate in my mind.... ''Do we need more psycho testing of pilot applicants or does it just not work ?''

BWBriscoe
16th May 2004, 09:21
We've diverted somewhat from the topic of the post!

Does anyone know why both have decided to leave and who will be replacing them?

Is there trouble that some of us don't know about?? :confused:

behind_the_second_midland
16th May 2004, 10:17
Stealey's gone for cash no doubt.

Bannister's gone because he is 55 and wasn't offered a management extension.

New GM Longhaul is Steve Sheterline
New GM Shorthaul is Dave Warner
New SM Shorthaul Robin Glover
GM Tech and training tba

BTSM

ruserious
16th May 2004, 17:34
As one of the recepients of BA's newly exported GM would any of you care to give us a heads up on what to expect. :cool:

L337
16th May 2004, 18:15
Yup, He posts on this forum under the name of Lord_Flashart.

:p

Good Luck to you all.

:D

L337

Hot Wings
16th May 2004, 20:43
I see that Shirley has decided to get rated on the 744 instead of the 777. I suppose it reduces the chances of him flying around on one engine!!!!

BWBriscoe
16th May 2004, 23:05
"New SM Shorthaul Robin Glover"

Sorry whats 'SM' stand for?

rob777
17th May 2004, 17:02
Senior Muppet.
:E

Preppy
17th May 2004, 17:51
SM =

Does the "M" bit stand for "Mason" or "Masonic"?

;)

BWBriscoe
19th May 2004, 19:17
I know I'm completely missing this and I'll probably kick myself, but what is an 'SM'?

Seriously this time! ;)

BOAC
19th May 2004, 19:38
BWB - you are obviously NOT going to get an answer otherwise, so:
Senior Manager

BWBriscoe
19th May 2004, 22:28
So what's the difference between the Senior Manager and the General Manager?

Captain Airclues
19th May 2004, 22:50
BWB

The General Manager is generally senior to the Senior Manager.

Airclues

BWBriscoe
19th May 2004, 22:55
Obviously the GM is senior to the SM, but what is the difference in jobs?

maxy101
20th May 2004, 00:23
Probably about 30 k a yr (plus options)

Diverse
21st May 2004, 06:40
Difference between General and Senior Managers,

General Managers don't leak company information. Usually it's senior managers. i.e.' a senior member of staff is quoted as saying...' , people never say 'a general member of staff was quoted as saying...';)

Hot Wings
21st May 2004, 11:07
Hot off the rumour press - SW to take over from Shirley:{

Roobarb
21st May 2004, 11:46
Really? That's one way of making him fly with a trainer:8

ETOPS
21st May 2004, 12:42
SW to take over from Shirley

Aaaargh! We are all doomed - doomed I tell you................