PDA

View Full Version : IMC issued on MPA IR rights.

mad_jock
5th May 2004, 10:28
On issue of my Multi crew IR for my type i had enquired what I would do about flying SPA IMC. The local opinion was that I had to complete a full IMC course because I didn't have any IMC rights on my JAR CPL.

On issue of my type rating etc I was given a IMC and the current LASORS has the updated section now.

Basically as long as my MPA-IR is valid I don't need to do a thing.

Does this IMC include MEP as long as you have a valid MEP class rating?

MJ

IRRenewal
5th May 2004, 11:20
Does this IMC include MEP as long as you have a valid MEP class rating?
Yes, the IMC rating does not differentiate between SEP and MEP (rightly or wronly, but that is a different topic).

Just reading through LASORS (Sectin E3.4). It would appear you do need to get a separate signature in your licence to revalidate your IMC rating once every 25 moths. So your statement 'Basically as long as my MPA-IR is valid I don't need to do a thing.' is not completely valid.

Regards

Gerard

mad_jock
5th May 2004, 12:05
The top of page 12 Section E says you don't need to keep it revalidated as long as your IR is valid so every time I have a LPC it should be valid again for 25 months. You just have to show willing and have it issued which they will do for free with the IR.

I have never held an IMC before so don't have a clue about the ins and outs of it all. I just want it on my lic so if I do need to get home in a kitted SPA I can.

And if I have read it wrong and you do need a signature, who signs it? The TRE doing the IR or do I need to go and find a IMC examiner to sign it off? And what paper work needs submitted I presume a form of some type would need to be sent to the CAA.

MJ

BEagle
5th May 2004, 12:12
Not entirely correct, I fear, IRRenewal. LASORS states (as mad_jock has correctly deduced): The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) is not automatically entitled to fly using the privileges of an IMC Rating in single-pilot aeroplanes. They will be required to obtain a separate IMC Rating endorsement on the basis of their most recent multi pilot IR proficiency check or skill test. In this case, the IMC Rating will be valid for a period of 25 months from the date of the IR(A) skill test and will not need to be revalidated if the IR remains valid.

mad_jock, you will therefore need:

1. To have an IMC Rating endorsed onto your licence. Only the CAA may do that and it'll be based on your last IR test date.

2. No other administrivia IF you maintain a valid IR. No signatures, nuffink.

IRRenewal
5th May 2004, 13:23
I stand corrected. Next time I read LASORS I'll take the time to read it properly.

Gerard

mad_jock
5th May 2004, 14:15
Cheers all. I got issued the IMC for nothing when they issued my type rating.

I presume this IMC for MPA IR holders is just to give JAR holders the same rights as an old style CAA CPL.

Apart from avoiding class A airspace what are the major differences to holding a SPA IR? I am current on the limitations for SPA IR holders. And currently fly manually a TP CAT 1 aircraft.

I only have a down loaded lasors. And its a right bloody pain reading a whole section.

Just for personal knowledge....

In that lasors section it states that for a twin you would need to do the standard multi stuff of missed approaches etc under screens.

As there is no IMC single and IMC twin how do the PPL's get valid on twins IMC?. It would be a pretty nasty day if they had an engine failure and had to fly it in with out any previous training.

Cheers

MJ

BEagle
5th May 2004, 15:11
Except that UK CPL/ATPL holders had licence-lifetime IMC privileges!

The lack of clear regulatory requirements for maintaining IMC Rating privileges in multi-engined ac is an omission, in my view. Really there ought to be IMC(SE) and IMC(ME) Ratings to make it clear, the ME one being equally valid on SE aircraft.

The main IMC Rating differences compared with an IR are mandatory take-off and landing minimum visibility requirements (1800m vis below cloud), plus recommended 200 ft additions to approach minima, with a recommended minimum DH of 500 ft, MDH of 600 ft. No IFR privileges in Class A airspace, but improved SVFR privileges compared to those for unrated pilots (3 km instead of 10 km).

mad_jock
5th May 2004, 16:05
Thanks those minimum are way more than I would need for pleasure flying.

MJ

IRRenewal
5th May 2004, 19:58
In that lasors section it states that for a twin you would need to do the standard multi stuff of missed approaches etc under screens.

If you decide to do your test in a twin, you have to do the asymmetric bits. If however you decide to do the test in a single there is nothing stopping you from exercising the privileges in a twin afterwards.