PDA

View Full Version : NotamPlot v2.1

ianfallon
5th May 2004, 08:56
Just to let you know that NotamPlot v2.1 is now available for download. This version addresses two bugs:

1) Often areas were being misinterpreted and drawn incorrectly as sets of small triangles.

2) If the selected NOTAM was formed from multiple, overlapping areas, the overlapping part was drawn as clear rather than shaded.

Regards,

Ian
http://www.notamplot.flyer.co.uk

bar shaker
6th May 2004, 07:20
Rustle

I don't think this should be kept quiet.

For those that haven't read Flyer this month, Ian has been awarded the Flyer Special Award for his work in developing Notamplot and making it available free of charge.

Deservedly so!!

Well done Ian

:)

S-Works
6th May 2004, 11:49
perhaps not everyone was aware of or uses the software?

So get off passing judgement on others eh!

Send Clowns
6th May 2004, 13:00
Thanks Ian, I have installed this at home and recommended it to the school I fly for. It's great.

rotorcraig
6th May 2004, 15:51
Wasn't aware of Ian's award (don't buy Flyer), but very deservedly so!

Well done!

RC

KCDW
6th May 2004, 17:19
Just downloaded, installed it and tried it out.

What an excellent utility.

Maybe the CAA will come knocking on your door and pay you big bucks for it, it's the sort of thing they should be producing.

Well done Ian, a well deserved award.

Keef
6th May 2004, 18:23
I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here too - BRILLIANT piece of software. I used it in its former guise, and use it now in the new one. Well done, Ian, and thank you.

Next time we meet in the vicinity of a bar...

ianfallon
8th May 2004, 18:11
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback - it makes the effort worthwhile if people are out there using it and happy with it.

Do email the address on the website if you find any problems btw. I may not answer immediately but all constructive feedback is appreciated. Unfortunately the source NOTAM information is still hand-crafted text so is open to erroneous interpretation by (any) software, so we need to be vigilent when looking at what is plotted. If you find a bad plot, do email!

One day we might have a structured way of getting the NOTAMs at source - you never know, although don't hold your breath, it would require all countries to buy into it probably! I hope we're at least going in the right direction in the mean time!

I realise there are a lot of extra features that people would like too. It's just getting the time to implement them (and have some spare for flying :) )

Thanks again,

Ian

Gertrude the Wombat
8th May 2004, 19:09
(and have some spare for flying) And working! (I must take some of the blame for 2.1, as I sit at the next desk to Ian and showed him the multiple-triangle problem. And as someone who maintains a free public service web site I do understand the time pressures.)

Fuji Abound
10th May 2004, 13:52
I just wanted to add my thanks - it is a brilliant peice of software and just wants needed!

One comment - could it be extended to cover Europe? I suspect the answer is somewhere in the problems of obtaining the raw information.

Many thanks again.

S-Works
10th May 2004, 14:51
Rustle,

or maybe I was somebody else long before Sep 03 and maybe I already knew about the software but was more making a point about your attitude?

Just because other people may not have gone on record saying they agree with you does not give you the right to say they make you sick ( the icon of which I see you have now removed).

Oh and for the record I do think the software is very nice but then I don't have any problem operating the AIS site either.

S-Works
10th May 2004, 16:33
Sometimes you are an immature turnip, rustle (isnt rustle the soubd a nappy full of C£%p make?)

Mr Wolfie
10th May 2004, 19:01
BoseX and Rustle - I don't want to get in the way of your little "handbags at dawn" routine as it is highly amusing, but I thought it may be time for someone to point out to Rustle that he isn't one of only two people to thank Ian for his work as the following thread might demonstrate-

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112456&perpage=15&highlight=notamplot&pagenumber=1

For what its worth-

Rustle - I too thought the tone of your post a little unneccesary.

Ian F - Notamplot is a great peice of work. Thank you, and well done with the award.:ok:

.......OK Gents .......... back to the playground taunts.......:ouch: