PDA

View Full Version : When good charts go bad!

Fly Stimulator
4th May 2004, 18:03
Hot on the heels of the famous case of the Stokenchurch mast, it seems as if the French have even worse problems with one of their new charts.

I ordered the full 2004 IGN set last week from a French online supplier and today received the following telling me that one of them is being withdrawn because it could put flights at risk:

SECURITE DES VOLS

Madame, Monsieur

Nous vous informons que l'IGN nous a demandé de retirer de la vente les cartes OACI 1/500 000 Sud/Est (944) car elles comportent des informations pouvant mettre en péril la sécurité des vols.

Anybody know exactly what unforeseen peril has emerged to cause this?

IO540
4th May 2004, 18:04
They left off some new TRA?

It took them a year or so to put them on in the first place!

2Donkeys
4th May 2004, 19:53
They failed to incorporate the substantial changes to the Lyon TMA.

Bad move.

IO540
4th May 2004, 20:15
Does anyone know if the printed Jepp 500k charts are affected? I was just going to buy a set for the whole of France.

More annoying, possibly, is the fact that I've just spent US$500 on updating my KLN94B/KMD550 databases. The cards haven't arrived yet but if these are wrong too, I will make sure they replace them FOC.

GRP
4th May 2004, 20:27
Did they fail to make the changes at all or get the changes wrong? I've not got last year's chart to hand but the current one has the Lyon TMA looking bigger than I remember and according to the NOTAM only one correction is needed.

I don't suppose the supplier hinted that they might reissue the chart? I only just got mine last week, direct from SIA and have scribbled the missing airspace on with a pen since that is an area I do visit a couple of times a year although I wouldn't normally find myself on that side of Lyon.

The 1,000,000 charts seem to be correct - any reason to suspect not?

squibbler
5th May 2004, 17:44
From www.freetranslation.com

SECURITE OF THE FLIGHTS

Madam, Mister

We inform you that the ign asked us to withdraw sale the cards OACI 1/500 000 Souths Is (944) for they behave the news being able to jeopardize the security of the flights.

So there you go.................:confused:

IO540
5th May 2004, 18:26
GRP

Someone, somewhere (here?) said that the 1M SIA charts have been recalled.

I forgot to renew my subscription to SIA so I can't check it myself. But I will email them.

Fly Stimulator
5th May 2004, 18:59
2Donkeys,
Thanks for the info. I'll get my felt-tip pen out!

GRP,
My supplier (Boutique de Pilote) did say that customers could exchange the chart from mid-May when it's re-issued, either at one of their branches (including the one at Le Touquet presumably) or directly with IGN at:

I.G.N. (Institut Géographique National)
Camp des Landes
Administration des ventes
41200 VILLEFRANCHE SUR CHER
France

squibbler,

I think my condensed translation in the original post was better than your machine's, though the latter does have a certain eccentric charm I admit!

The full version is along the lines of "We wish to inform you that IGN have asked us to withdraw the ICAO 1:500,000 South East chart from sale because it contains information which could put flight safety at risk."

IO540
5th May 2004, 20:38
Does anyone here have a URL for any announcement of the chart recall? I am trying to check if the Jepp GPS databases I have ordered are correct, but Honeywell just say that Jepp have said nothing to them, so they must be OK...

IO540
10th May 2004, 13:17
It turns out that both the IGN chart (mentioned in the Notam) and the latest Jepp 500k VFR/GPS chart are wrong.

One way to see the latest airspace info, go to ais.org Notam site and do a narrow route briefing from somewhere in the UK to Lyon, and the Notam about the IGN chart error appears at the end of that. At the end of the notam there is also a URL at SIA where the details can be found, as a PDF.

The Jepp VFR/GPS chart (I have just seen the latest one) doesn't have the same error as the IGN chart has, but it has a different error in the Lyon TMA shape, relative to the SIA chart page given in the URL referred to in the Notam. I assume the SIA printed chart is right; certainly the one I have seen appears correct as per the SIA website.