PDA

View Full Version : High-flying frog stows away in in-flight salad (merged)

PAXboy
4th May 2004, 14:12
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - An airline passenger was given a nasty fright when a frog with a taste for adventure stowed away in her in-flight salad.

The passenger discovered the airborne amphibian perched on a slice of cucumber while on a Qantas flight from Melbourne to Wellington in February.

"Naturally there was a bit of consternation by the passenger who called back the attendant," Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry quarantine general manager Fergus Small said on Tuesday.

The flight attendant removed the salad and the 4 cm (1.6 inch) whistling tree frog, which was killed by quarantine staff when the aircraft landed.

While frogs had been known to hitch rides in the cargo holds of aircraft, it was the first time the Quarantine Service was aware of one being found in a meal, Small said.

Qantas was not immediately available for comment but a spokesman told The New Zealand Herald newspaper the airline had since changed its lettuce supplier and introduced "additional procedures into the salad supply process."

This is a straight post from the souce below and this URL contains no additional information at the time of posting.

Yahoo News (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040504/80/esowy.html)

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

rotornut
4th May 2004, 23:17
Live frog found in airline meal

An airline passenger received a shock when she found a frog in her in-flight meal, New Zealand authorities say.
The 4cm (1.6-inch) whistling tree frog had stowed away in a salad on a Qantas flight from Melbourne to Wellington.

"There was a bit of consternation by the passenger who called back the attendant," said Fergus Small of New Zealand's Ministry of Agriculture. The attendant removed the salad and the frog, which was killed by quarantine staff when the aircraft landed.

Mr Small said frogs had been known to travel in the cargo holds of aircraft, but it was the first time the country's Quarantine Service was aware of one being found in a meal.

A Qantas spokesman told the New Zealand Herald newspaper that the airline had since changed its lettuce supplier and introduced "additional procedures into the salad supply process".

The whistling tree frog is found in south-east Australia and New Zealand. The male of the species has a whistling call.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/3682869.stm

Aussierotor
5th May 2004, 02:50
French passenger puts in complaint as he didnt get one in his salad

TheNightOwl
5th May 2004, 02:51
Beats finding half a frog, I suppose!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:D

yarmouth
5th May 2004, 03:18
The frog " croaked" on arival in WLG

CAT1
5th May 2004, 08:16
I found a frog sitting next to me in the flight deck recently, in the first officers seat.

Dogma
5th May 2004, 10:26
Gather the chef was short of Frog Gras.

airship
5th May 2004, 13:09
Polly in Fawlty Towers once said "Don't speak so loudly, everyone will want one!". I prefer grubs myself - more protein. ;)

PAXboy
5th May 2004, 13:27
The frog is lucky that it wasn't FR, or he'd have been charged extra for the salad. :}

hangar
5th May 2004, 16:34
at least she knew it was a fresh salad
:E

The Invisible Cat
5th May 2004, 19:50
In JetBlast every stray thread gets merged or deleted

Between here and "DG Reporting points", one can count three threads about a miserable frog one would have eaten for breakfast and still be hungry.

two weights and two measures ?
:E :E

The Invisible Cat
5th May 2004, 20:22

flyblue
5th May 2004, 22:20
TIC,
back to your basket!
NOW!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/ivn.gif

Navy_Adversary
6th May 2004, 12:59
I hope that the passenger had only purchased an economy ticket, it would leave a bad taste if you had bought a first class ticket:D

takenthe5thamendment
7th May 2004, 09:12
If it had been on my salad I would have been hopping mad! :)

PAXboy
7th May 2004, 14:59
Hhmm, I wonder TT5A, if you had kissed the frog - what would have happened??? :ooh:

takenthe5thamendment
7th May 2004, 22:57
I aint ever gonna kiss a French person PAX. :D

PAXboy
8th May 2004, 14:46
Dear oh dear, TT5A, whatever happened to the entente cordial? The Queen was just across Le Manche to improve cultural relations and there you go ruining everything? :p

spiney
14th May 2004, 19:56
At least the frog appears to have survived the Salad Dressing - I can think of a few airlines where this may not have been the case...