PDA

View Full Version : Flying between America and Canada

221B
4th May 2004, 07:55
Does anyone know what arrangements or restrictions there are for British citizens to undertake a private flight between Canada and the USA? It would be with an FAA licence based on a UK PPL, if this makes any difference.

Thanks.

Skylark4
4th May 2004, 08:42
You must have a visa.
I had a hell of a problem in 2001,i.e. before 9/11 when I flew from Calgary to Oshkosh. The 'instant visa' you get by filling out a form on an airliner is only available on airliners and ships It is not, in fact it specifically excludes, private aircraft and yachts. Even before 9/11, the US Immigration people were not exactly friendly.
You must have a full visa in your passport and it must be less than 10 years old. If in doubt, e-mail the Embassy. Do not phone them, you get a premium rate call which may only be to a message machine, I can't quite remember.

Mike W

Edit. It will take at least six weeks to get a visa so, if you have time, start now, without checking first.

In case anyone thinks "flash B*****d", I was not the pilot, I was cost sharing in a Skylane with three Canadians and my Daughter was working in Calgary at the time. A wonderful, once in a lifetime adventure. Every pilot interested in homebuilt/ vintage aircraft should go to the EAA Airventure once in his lifetime.

TonyR
4th May 2004, 08:51
Last summer I crossed the Canada / US border a number of times along the St Lawrence river.

Hired aircraft from Kingston,

No problem after you get the visa waver (green bit of paper) on your first visit to US ( I arrived in Canada first and got the visa waver at a vehicle border crossing).

All officals were verry nice and helpful

Tony