PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check!

Ginge_One
3rd May 2004, 20:45
I finished uni a year ago and have sat behind a desk since, wishing I was sat in an aeroplane.

I’ve been an instructor on an Air Cadet VGS for quite a few years and really enjoy it. I would love to do it full time and have been seriously thinking about topping up a PPL and doing an instructors rating, with the view of making a career out of it.

However, I’ve seen quite a few negative comments on this forum about the working conditions and prospects for career instructors. Is this the case for an unlucky few, or is it the norm for the whole of the industry?

I know that no job is secure in this world, especially in the aviation world. But I guess the question is, am I in a dream world thinking I can make a career as an instructor, as well as supporting a family (some years down the line) and living a comfortable life style? If not, it would be great to hear some encouraging stories that ended happily ever after.

SLFguy
4th May 2004, 13:11
I know that no job is secure in this world, especially in the aviation world. But I guess the question is, am I in a dream world thinking I can make a career as an instructor, as well as supporting a family (some years down the line) and living a comfortable life style?

I'm not a pilot but I am 45 and was unfortunate enough not not 'go for it' when I was younger.

You can very easily turn your dream into reality - just take your obvious desire, couple it to your talent and work hard.

Good luck.

Raw Data
4th May 2004, 13:12
am I in a dream world thinking I can make a career as an instructor, as well as supporting a family (some years down the line) and living a comfortable life style?

YES.

IRRenewal
4th May 2004, 17:18
YES.

I think I agree. Just do the sums. A PPL instructor might get £15/hour. Absolute maximum is some 1000 hours per year, realistic is more like 600. So, could you live the life you want to on 9K to 15K a year? If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no, why not consider getting an instructor rating without giving up the day job?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Gerard

Ginge_One
5th May 2004, 11:59
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I thinks it's a matter of biting the bullet and seeing what happens.

I guess I'll never know unless I give it a bash. Whats the worse that could happen :D

Raw Data
5th May 2004, 13:02
Whats the worse that could happen

Well, let's see... you could instruct for a while, maybe get some multi time, happen to be in the right place at the right time and get a job flying a little turboprop such as a Jetstream, get noticed by an airline and become a First Officer, progress through to a command, become a trainer as a result of your instructing experience, and retire rich and happy.

(shudder) awful fate...!!! :ok:

The point is, an instructing career will almost certainly result in poverty. Not necessarily... but probably.

Of course, if you never try... ;)

WestWind1950
6th May 2004, 19:08
@SLFguy

I'm not a pilot but I am 45 and was unfortunate enough not not 'go for it' when I was younger
and what's keeping you from going for it now? at least becoming a pilot, if not an instructor? I know lots of "older" people that start flying... some after retiring (they have more time then). Unless, of course, you have medical (or financial) reasons, go for it! ;)

Westy (doing instructing part-time and less and less due to lack of students :{ )

Knightsky
10th May 2004, 01:33
I worked full time as an instructor 2001-2003 and had to make myself available 7 days a week in order to average 600 hours annually. That makes for a lot of drinking tea between students or waiting on the weather.

Whilst not thinking about the financial implications I enjoyed every minute of it and would not turn the clock back. However as I only earnt when I flew (block to block) even a £10,000 salary would have been manna from heaven!!!!! Things were just getting desperate when the first commercial job came along. 12 months on I can look back with fond memories but I know the reality was far less romantic.

If you are serious about making a career from instructing then aim high and find a position with one of the bigger commercial schools where a salary is paid. Otherwise the advice about instructing on the weekend or after the day job should be given serious consideration.

Best of Luck...............