PDA

View Full Version : D-Day Airshow

GWYN
3rd May 2004, 13:58
Does anyone have any information on, or indeed know if there is going to be a D-Day Anniversary airshow at Caen next month?

I know I should give them a ring, but not sure if my Franglais is up to it.

There is nothing on the airport website.

Thanks in advance for any info.

GWYN

welkyboy
3rd May 2004, 19:19
If there is, it will be difficult to fly to, cos, if the rumours we'veheard are true most of Normandy's airspace is closed from late May until mid June due to "security" issues. Bush is going and the Americans are paranoid about security, he is due to land at Caen in his Boeing757 with a whole load of other aircraft, there is already an army of "security police" camped on themilitary area at Caen.
A Notam is to be issued by the French shortly.

QDMQDMQDM
3rd May 2004, 20:46
I understand there is some kind of meeting of reconnaissance aircraft (L4s etc.) at Cherbourg?

QDM

GWYN
4th May 2004, 10:28
Thanks. Will there be a worthwhile airshow though? Caen may not be available but what about the other fields. Last time in 1994 we flew to Deauville and hired a car.

Mark 1
4th May 2004, 12:41
I'm planning to go there with a freind in his L4 (covering for his NPPL territorial restrictions). My research has not come across any airshows in Normandy for the event.

I went in 1984 when there was an excellent show at Caen. Reagan had just departed in the Nimitz from his brief visit, and there was no undue red tape. Pity they can't do the same again.

'Would be interested to know more about the L4 gathering though.

GWYN
4th May 2004, 13:40
I was there in 1984 too, Mark. An absolutely outstanding event - we even camped on the airfield. I particularly remember the two red Hunters, G-HUNT and G-BOOM I think as well as many other types.

If there's an L4 gathering it should be an opportunity for Captain Kirk to go and give a 'salute' to the massed security forces in his Cub!

skua
5th May 2004, 21:15
Tthere are loads of events going on that w/end and the following. The best event looks as though it will be the mass para drop at Ranville on the Saturday (the one on the 50th anniv. was fantastic). Details are on the Normandy tourism website, the exact address of which I have forgotten!

A Pprune remembrance/gathering looks obilgatory...

Skua

Mark 1
12th May 2004, 09:12
I've just checked out the restrictions at:
http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/supaipmetro/SUP_2004_45_EN.pdf

It looks like a bit of planning is required to avoid a 45000 Euro fine/ 1 year in prison.:rolleyes:

QDMQDMQDM
12th May 2004, 10:00
The organisers of G-VFWE are putting on a D+7 commemorative fly-in in Cherbourg on 13th June. They particularly want Austers and Pipers. More details at Abingdon on Saturday.

QDM

ex jump pilot
13th May 2004, 19:48
I had a word a few weeks ago with the G-VFWE boss about the Cherbourg fly in.
Assuming the weather is OK, I shall be taking the L4J that I have a share in. Will probably depart on the Saturday returning on the Monday going via Calais as we as a group wish to minimise the time the plane spends over the water..

rosewellian
13th May 2004, 20:27
I received a form from GVFWE organisers and am now already booked into the June 13 Cherbourg celebration in Grasshopper L4J. G-BCPJ, will be departing Popham. Will also be at Abingdon on Saturday.