PDA

View Full Version : Help for flying to France please

stillin1
2nd May 2004, 15:37
I would like to take my Europa to France for a day-trip this summer. Can any of you point me in the right direction ref:
Paperwork required
Best GA friendly airfields to use just over the other side from Dover (and on the English side)
Useful tips.
Other people / clubs planning to do the same so that I might join in.
I am an experienced pilot - just wishing for any good heads-up before I go :cool:

wet wet wet
2nd May 2004, 20:26
I'm surprised that the search function failed to answer most of these questions.

fireflybob
3rd May 2004, 01:32
Excellent article in April issue of Pilot mag called "Paperchase" ref paperwork requirements when going outside UK etc.

Hope this helps - have a good safe trip!

PS While since I have been but the lunch at Le Touquet was always very good!

stillin1
3rd May 2004, 08:42
Ah! there's the rub my irascible correspondent ~ Surprisingly I am not so stupid and / or lazy not to have searched the web, indeed many web sites were found, most undated and therefore unable to have their validity determined.
I merely requested advice from those that had "done it" (see last sentence in my post).
Hope your reply made you feel better since it did nothing for me

Fireflybob ~ thanks I'll search out a copy.;) :ok:

Spinningtop
3rd May 2004, 13:29
This might be of use, it was first written in 2002 but it has been updated since. It seems quite concise.

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/flying_to_france.htm

Best of luck with the trip!!

wet wet wet
4th May 2004, 07:57
Stillin1

I did not mean to cause offence, I was just trying (clumsily) to point out the PPRuNe is a vast resource from which I for one have learnt much. You will find that most of the questions that we might want to ask have already been asked and answered on these threads, so a good first starting point is to undertake a search.

So, searching PPRuNe for “France” in the “Private Flying Forum” reveals a list of threads that will answer some of your queries. For example this recent thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127332) discusses the documention required for going abroad.

For what it is worth I too would recommend Le Touquet as a first destination, either just to visit the excellent restaurant that is on the field or, if there is time, to walk (or hire bikes) and go into town. But a search for “French Airfields” will list the many threads that have discussed the alternatives.

Wherever you go have a great time!

Charlie Fox
4th May 2004, 08:06
Customs Forms & details can be found here. (http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/forms/gen-aviation-rep.pdf)

stillin1
4th May 2004, 08:49
WWW ~ good point on the search facility within PPrune. I AM stupid cos I had not thought of it Doh!
Thanks to all you other guys ~ plenty to get started with.
Thanks one and all:ok:

Keef
4th May 2004, 22:37
As one who makes regular trips to France, I'd certainly recommend Le Touquet for your first one, assuming it's in the right part of France. If you're going from Cornwall, you might prefer somewhere nearer that end of the world.

Le Touquet is quintessentially French, but is extremely used to British pilots. The airport restaurant is excellent (and open every day, these days). There are usually taxis waiting to take you into town, or you can rent a bike. If you're really keen you could probably walk (I've done that, but not lately).

Don't try talking to Lille Info this year; use Manston Approach for the channel crossing, and change straight to Le Touq Tower when you get to mid-channel.

stuartforrest
6th May 2004, 14:34
I took the trip (my first) to Le Touquet last week and took along an instructor for the day just to help me out and it was a very nice trip and I learned loads. Le T. is indeed a lovely place to land at and you can take a nice walk into town and have a lovely lunch by the sea.

The airfield and local handling is a doddle and they were very polite and helpful. Cant speak highly enough of that place.

I am supposed to be venturing further to Quimper in Brittany on my next trip so that will be a new experience. They may not be so "english" there but lets hope so.