PDA

View Full Version : Fuel hedging among UK airlines

equinox145
2nd May 2004, 13:12
Does anyone have any info on which airlines in the UK have hedged their fuel and by how much? I would also be interested in data for European airlines.

Human Factor
3rd May 2004, 12:36
I would imagine that sort of data is very commercially sensitive. The bigger companies will potentially save billions of dollars each year if hedging is done well.

SLFguy
4th May 2004, 09:41
Actually good hedging should never cost.. having taken a position on a fuel cost all major players will 'arbitrage' their position against other petroleum dependent/sensitive indicies to ensure no 'loss' occurs should fuel prices become cheaper than the option price.

Bet Emirates do well tho!

equinox145
4th May 2004, 12:16
There seams to be plenty of info about US airlines. In general the majors are not hedged because they didn't think prices would be so high. Hedging costs money up front and most couldn't afford it are were forbidden to do so under the terms of their restructuring agreements. Bad news for them as South West and Jet Blue are hedged at 100% and can therefore set ticket prices.
In 2002 BA said they hedged fuel at 90% until March 2003. Since then they have been quiet on the subject. According to information available, EasyJet is not hedged but is belatedly trying to, RyanAir is hedged 100% Lufthansa is 90% this year. There are a lot of airlines in Europe and I'm trying to get a feel for where mine stands in comparison to the competition. Any info and source is appreciated.