PDA

View Full Version : Concorde

coopervane
1st May 2004, 23:23
Now that all the hype has setted down with regard to Concorde's retirement,has anyone heard of any plans to put one back in the air for display and prosperity?

There was talk of this by BA at the time but it seems to have died a death.

Any whispers???:confused:

Coop & Bear

HZ123
3rd May 2004, 13:10
It will never fly again unless someone like Bill Gates or the Chelsea man want to get interested in avaition nostalger

slingsby
3rd May 2004, 15:28
Alas never to grace our skies again. All of the engines have been donated to museums or scrappe/sold. Ancillary equipment sold as well, a phenomenal amount of money would be required to put one back in the air, that is if the frenchies would let it. But sadly, buy a DVD, put the surround sound on full volume, and remeniss over a piece of history.

AlanM
4th May 2004, 07:45
Or just pop to LHR and see it sat next to 27R threshold with departures around it and imagine a lot... :)

Noah Zark.
5th May 2004, 21:52
I was in New York last week, went to see G- AD. Sadly, it is starting to deteriorate already. Black rain stains around the fuselage, under the flight deck windows, along the tops of the wings.
It's a bloody travesty. :sad:

Max Angle
7th May 2004, 15:01
I see the one at Manchester is now on a raised plinth in the a/c park. They are supposed to be building a hanger for it to go in, what do you reckon the chances of that ever happening are?. Somewhere around zero I reckon, another one left to rot.

fireflybob
7th May 2004, 18:38
As the fate of Concorde is now seemingly inevitable perhaps now is the time for those who would like to see son (or daughter) of Concorde to stand up and be counted.

And before all the dream-stealers start saying it will never happen/it's too expensive etc remember that many told the Wright brothers that they were crazy and that their idea would never work! What would have happened if they had listened to the sceptics?

scroggs
7th May 2004, 18:49
Concorde will not fly again under any circumstances, as Airbus (the engineering and design authority for the aircraft) will not support it. That completely overrides any individual or corporate ambition for the aircraft.

There will not be a supersonic replacement for Concorde until the problems of supersonic flight over land ('sonic boom'), excessive fuel consumption and environmental effects are addressed and solved. Research into these areas is ongoing and has a direct impact on military aircraft design, so the techniques will be developed. Once they are, the aerospace industry will start prompting the airlines to consider a new supersonic aircraft. I would guess that you'll have to wait 50 years or more to next see one in commercial service - and the concept may by then have been overtaken by extra-atmospheric flight.