PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy brake pads?

Sensible
1st May 2004, 22:48
Can anybody tell me where I can buy disc brake pads for a permit aircraft with what I think are 150 Cessna brakes? As the aircraft is on a permit the brakes don't need the CAA certification.

Cheers

TonyR
1st May 2004, 22:54
Here (http://www.lightaero.co.uk/) at Light aero spares

DubTrub
2nd May 2004, 00:40
Your local brake/clutch relining place. Search on Google (http://www.google.co.uk)

Take them your knackered pads there, get new wearable surfaces bonded on (and/or riveted, as appropriate).

Example: "Bonding & Reline Ltd", Thurmaston, Leicester

Excellent for all Permit aircraft brake (and clutch!) relining requirements

stiknruda
2nd May 2004, 16:44
Sensible - LAS is where I normally go but you'll need access to a rivetter. LAS sell an economical little one (there are two types, a screw in jobby and the hit it with a hammer jobby).

Not sure where you are but I have one!

Stik

Sensible
2nd May 2004, 17:01
Thanks stick but The pads that I have are sort of kidney shaped and they don't have any metal backing. I think that they are Cessna 150 brakes but never having stripped a cessna down I can't say for sure.

stiknruda
3rd May 2004, 11:35
Sensible - I though you were referring to Cleveland wheels (IIRC the C150 has 600x6), wth the kidney shaped pads rivetted to the backing plate.

Stik

Sensible
3rd May 2004, 11:56
The brake assembly is marked Good Year Part No 9541458 TSO-C26 Assy 9532181. The actual pads are eleipical/kidney shaped and measure about 50mm x 23mm. There is no metal backing on the existing disc and in fact one of the pads seems to be stuck/wedged into a recess on a fixed part of the assembly wheras the other fits in a recess but rammed forward by the hydraulic piston. Odly, the disc is like a toothed cog and is loose within a splined wheel so one brake pad and the disc are free moving against the other fixed pad.

A and C
3rd May 2004, 13:33
This sounds like a very old type of brake that I have seen on Beech aircraft but not for some years , most people replaced them with a cleveland brake kit years ago.