PDA

View Full Version : What aeroplane?

AfricanEagle
30th Apr 2004, 19:17
I would like some advice, please.

A french friend of mine will be spending a two month holiday in Italy. He is a student pilot and may have his licence by that time.

He has asked me to find him an aeroplane for the period (rent) with the intention of flying 120 / 150 hours (they will most probably be all with another pilot on board).
He will want to be able to travel (typically Rome - Cannes) with two pax and some luggage.
Home base will be a 600m grass strip, sea level.
I believe a fixed gear a/c would be best, VP an option, range a necessity, good low speed handling quite important.

I have taken into consideration the following aircraft:
- Diamond DA40
- Piper Archer
- Cessna 182
- Robin 235
- Piper Cherokee Six.

Any comments / suggestions greatly appreciated.
(also because I'll probably end up doing most of the flying)

AE

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Apr 2004, 19:21
Not sure about the Diamond as I have never flown one and have no clue about its performance but at face value all of those would do the job.

More a matter of what you fancy, availability and how fat the wallet is.

FD

rustle
2nd May 2004, 16:16
In light of your two comments:

He is a student pilot and may have his licence by that time.

and

(also because I'll probably end up doing most of the flying)

You/he want something that you are both comfortable with by the sound of it, and possibly something that you already know from the RHS reasonably well :)

Sensible
2nd May 2004, 16:38
Since your friend will be low hours, it's best that if possible that he flies the same type of aircraft that he has trained in especially flying to unfamiliar airfields.

I once had the misfortune of having to take control from another pilot whilst I was in the RHS and it was not a pleasant experience. Flying RHS is very different. I know instructors do it all the time but they probably get used to flying RHS BEFORE it all goes wrong not WHEN it all goes wrong. So an aircraft that you are comfortable with from the RHS is an important consideration.

And I'd give the cherokee six a miss on the basis that everything goes bad the same as any other aircraft only quicker! Stick to a non complex 160hp maximum. There may be insurance issues with a high performance complex and a low hour pilot in any event

Papa Charlie
2nd May 2004, 17:05
Quite agree Sensible. Plane's like the DA40 are classed as complex because of constant speed prop etc and our club require a minimum 100 hours before checking out and flying the DA40. Stick to flying what he has most experience in.

Going straight from the skills test to touring is a large step especially with more complex navigation and planning.