PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair emergency at Charleroi

thebiffo
29th Apr 2004, 21:43
I heard a report that a Ryanair flight from Charleroi to Dublin (this evening, 29th April) had to make an emergency turn around. Does anyone have any details on this?

SNNEI
29th Apr 2004, 21:49
Sorry, no details, but CRL runway is closed according to FR website. Flights being diverted to Liege/Luik. Those bloody 200's need to go....

(And if turns out to be a 737-800, I still stand by that comment! ;-)

Jet A1
29th Apr 2004, 22:38
http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0429/plane.html

jonathang
30th Apr 2004, 08:24
Those bloody 200's need to go.... Why ?

If its just a tire burst , quite common and llikey to have nothing to do with the fact its a 200.

A/c was EI-CJC and CRL reopened this morning.

Farrell
30th Apr 2004, 08:30
Courtesy of RTE news (this type of reporting makes me so proud to be Irish!)

According to one of the 120 passengers on board, there was a loud engine noise as the plane took off.

Words fail me!

Approach_plate
30th Apr 2004, 09:36
there was a loud engine noise as the plane took off

Quote of the day/month/year me thinks :ok:

mpw119.4
30th Apr 2004, 09:55
Just the one engine making a noise was it?

:ooh:

fintan
30th Apr 2004, 12:13
Problem with the landing gear , oil on the runway, passengers evacuated down the emergency chutes.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/2004/04/30/story145309.html

SNNEI
30th Apr 2004, 12:17
Jonathang,

I know that's a controversial statement I made, but I stand by it none the less. I'm not saying that these planes are doomed to crash, but they are having too many tech issues now. They are too noisy, too delay prone, and many are nervous flying them.

Regardless of how I feel flying them (quite OK actually) they are becoming a liability and that is good reason enough for Ryanair to be rid of them.

carolosm
30th Apr 2004, 12:42
noisy???

go to any european capital and check the noise level man. higher than any aircraft taking off according to studies

have a good day:ok:

No comment
30th Apr 2004, 13:49
Hushkitted?....My Ar$e

steamchicken
30th Apr 2004, 14:43
Definition of a Hushkit: a simple amplifier strapped to a jet engine to remind complainers that it can always get worse!

jonathang
30th Apr 2004, 14:53
are too noisy, too delay prone, and many are nervous flying them.

Agree too noisy.

Delay prone disagree , they are faster to turn on the ground than the 800s.
Don't have the figures but 800s have their fair share of tech problems.

lost soul
30th Apr 2004, 17:21
Having been in the flying business for some 30 years I would have to say that the 737-800 is by far the most reliable aircraft I have ever operated. It is a far from a perfect beast, but the boringly evolutionary approach to it's design has meant very risks were taken and it shows in the reliabilty figures. (I have also flown 737's of most other marks plus bigger Boeings!)

SNNEI
30th Apr 2004, 18:56
It has also been reported that the First FR Dublin-EMA service also had a few problems i'm afraid. Again a 200 series.

Sorry, but the frequency of problems with these planes is now in my opinion too high for joe public.

No matter how much those of us who know something about aviation try to say there is no serious risk, we have to accept that most who fly don't know so much about the aviation world and will be nervous about all these incidents.

It is with this in mind that Michael O'leary must consider getting rid of the 200's

EastMids
30th Apr 2004, 21:37
First ever inbound to EMA suffered from flaps not deploying beyond 20 degrees, emergency crew activated but flight landed without further incident - 737-200 EI-CON. First outbound seriously delayed due resulting tech.

hostie
1st May 2004, 01:28
Just in case anyone's having problems reading the links...

Ryanair jet makes emergency landing

A Ryanair jet on a flight to Dublin made an emergency return to Charleroi airport shortly after takeoff last night because of a problem with its landing gear.

The airport had to cancel some flights to clean oil from the runway, but normal flights resumed early today, reported Breaking News.

After landing, the 120 passengers and five crew on the no-frills carrier's Boeing 737-200, bound for Dublin, were evacuated down the chutes for safety reasons.

One passenger was slightly injured.

Ryanair said the plane "experienced a technical problem on takeoff," so the captain turned around and "the aircraft landed safely." It did not elaborate.

There were still some delays today after workers spent the night cleaning up the oil, said airport spokesman Pierre Fernemont. He said four flights had to be cancelled.

Avman
2nd May 2004, 10:05
My Son saw some footage of the evacuation on Belgian TV. According to him pax were running in all directions like spooked animals. Haven't seen it myself. Anyone else?

Hotel Tango
2nd May 2004, 16:49
And just how long did the full evacuation take as a matter of interest?

lod
2nd May 2004, 17:37
EVERYBODY PLUS CREW OFF UNDER 85 SECONDS. NICE WORK GUYS

DoctorA300
3rd May 2004, 10:17
Wot, all 9 of them :E :E :E
sorry, couldnīt resist.
Doc

Lite
3rd May 2004, 19:54
I read, I think it was in Flight International, that Ryanair were looking at exploiting the used aircraft market, by making some good lease rates on Boeing 737 Classic series aircraft - I believe the figure was as many as 50 aircraft.

I'm presuming that the reason for doing this, is to more quickly phase out the 737-200s with 737-300s (much better economics along the way adding 18 extra seats over the -200s) but I don't understand the mentality considering the huge order for brand new aircraft that the airline has. I'm sure that the ex-buzz -300s must have done something at Ryanair to consider the growth in the -300 fleet?

Why not simply replace the -200s on a "one -200 retires, an -800 replaces it?" schedule over the next few months, or as with EasyJet who I believe insisted Airbus deliver 18 319s in the first six months of delivery, ask Boeing to increase the delivery rate?

If the -800 proves too big for a number of routes, then why not operate a dual fleet of Boeing 737 -700/-800 or -600/-800?

I just don't understand why they would increase adding older, more costly to operate aircraft as a long term decision.

SNNEI
3rd May 2004, 21:06
Lite,

I believe that plan is now off the agenda. It seems it was only a bargaining tactic to scare Boeing into further price reductions on more 737-800's.

This method of "bargaining" has come much into fashion with Aer Lingus these days too! ;-)

Skunkie
3rd May 2004, 22:59
noise apart....I've been flying on 200 and 700 series, but I prefer 200 for the kind of engine (think rolls royce, correct me if I'm sayng something outdated or totally wrong...I'm stewardess not pilot). Which other probs have a 200 serie other than noise? technical problems, I mean, not more fuel needed or shorter range....

Skunkie

BALIX
4th May 2004, 07:58
The engine on the 200s is the Pratt and Whitney JT8 (I think), a splendid beast conceived in the early 60s. If you sit in a window seat just aft of the wing you get a good view of the oil oozing out of the joints throughout the flight.

Mercator
4th May 2004, 10:25
Concerning the incident at EBCI there is a great footage here (in Dutch) :
http://www.vtm.be/asx/vtmnieuws/vtmnieuws19uur_Vr.asx

nibor
4th May 2004, 10:54
Thanks for the footage MERCATOR.
I would like to know where security were, how did a camera crew get out to the aircraft and in the face of the cabin crew?

SNNEI
4th May 2004, 10:57
The camera crew were onboard the flight. I believe they were from France 3 television.

antonovman
8th May 2004, 10:37
i've sat around 20 minutes watching this double dutch and i cant see anything about it

jettesen
8th May 2004, 11:38
Great video footage. Glad to see at least the slides inflated considering how old the aircraft are!

jonathang
8th May 2004, 13:42
Why would how old the aircraft have to do with how old the slides are? Please say you didnt possibly think the slides were the ones installed when the aircraft was first produced.

Would you drive a car that was 40 years old on grounds that it maybe dangerous its brakes could fail?

Pretty sure they would have been replaced at least 10 times.

Sorry just sick of the 737-200 negative ill informed comments.

Is quite possible one of the early 800's could have older slides !!!

jettesen
8th May 2004, 13:48
It's ryanair we're talking about here

jonathang
8th May 2004, 13:57
jettesen,

Your point? They are still required to follow the same maintenance program that all carriers follow.

Produce facts.

Can think of many airlines that have had more serious incidents than FR have.

I am not an ATPL yet but I don't worry for a second when I go flying in a 36 year old light aeroplane because I have confidence in the strict maintenance schedule thats been conducted over the aircraft's life time.

Before this comes up the scoring on the hulls of the 200s. Ryanair made the decision to ground some of the fleet. These scores were caused by a bad paint job.