PDA

View Full Version : UK and JAR licence question

stiknruda
29th Apr 2004, 11:19
Yes I should probably know this but I don't, so aplologies for another "micky mouse" licence entitlement question.

I have a UK (old fashioned hearing aid beige covered) PPL. This allows me to fly a G reg anywhere and anything non G reg in the UK FIR.

I have been asked about flying a Danish reg aircraft from Denmark to Sweden and then down through Germany to Holland and then the UK.

Q1 Can I legally do it, on my current PPL?

Q2 Could I do it if I had a JAR friendly UK issued licence?

Q3 Is my old fashioned licence JAR friendly?

Q4 What do I need to do, if anything, to my UK PPL to gain the same priviledge as a JAR licence?

Q5 Is there such a thing as a validation? I had a validation to my Swazi (3D) licence to operate C9 aircraft in the C9 FIR.

Q6 How long can the Danish, factory built aircraft remain in the UK with an export CofA before it needs to cxhange to a different register?

Thanks chaps,

Stik

FNG
29th Apr 2004, 12:26
Hi Stik, is your map as upside down as your aeroplane usually is? Shouldn't that be Sweden-Denmark-Germany-Holland-UK?

The validation requirements, if any, depend on individual countries. Your UK licence is an ICAO licence, but it's up to each ICAO member state to decide what requirements it imposes on pilots wishing to use their licences in its territory on aircraft registered in a state other than that which issued the licence (consider the common example of the UK-US conversion). Check out http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm It is interesting, by the way, to see that ICAO lists its licensing FAQ under "trivia".

You will need to start with a trawl through the websites for the Scandi-German-Dutchie CAA equivalents.

I will leave it to others who know of these things to answer the rest of your questions.

What type of crate may this be?

Brooklands
29th Apr 2004, 13:11
Stik,

I seem to remember from similar discussions in the past that the "2 out of 3" rule applies with regard to nationality of licence, aircraft and airspace. So you should be OK with a UK licence in a Danish A/C in Danish airspace, and a UK licence in UK airspace in a Danish aircraft. Unfortunately that doesn't help you with the other countries.

In theory a JAR licence ought to help solve your probelms, but I don't think that it does in practice - I've this nasty feeling that some countries still require some sort of "validation". Somebody like FlyingForFun will probably know chapter and verse on that one. Anyway JAR licences self destruct every five years :( (or so I believe).

Brooklands

FNG
29th Apr 2004, 13:20
Alas, these days even some CAA licences explode after five years. I did the PPL course just as the JAA transition was taking place, but elected for some ill-defined sentimental reason to have a CAA licence, but they changed the licence life to five years.

Justiciar
29th Apr 2004, 13:32
Hi Stik!

My feeling, reading LASORS is that the renewal or revalidation of the SEP rating in your UK licence is a JAA valid rating. JAA itself is a series of uniform standards involving mutual recognition by participating countries. JAA itself is not some sort of pan-european system of regulation with any legal force in itself. It is therefore down to the individual countries to implement mutual recognition, which according to the JAA website is what Denmark and Sweden have done. That is not to say there will not be individual regulations in the countries concerned limiting say the flying of a Danish registered aircraft by a holder of 'foreign' licence.

edited....
Looking again at LASOR, page 26: The transitional provisions cover you and you have all the privileges of a JAR licence.

I suspect therefore that there is nothing you have to do to make your licence JAA friendly. There is nothing to validate if I am right since you already hold a JAA compliant licence.

A UK Export C of A is not an authority to fly. In the UK an aircraft with such a certificate will have been removed from the register as preparatory for export, with the duty of registering then applying to the country of export. If this is the same in Denmark, then it may be that the aircraft cannot be flown from Denmark without the registration process being done in the UK or without the Danish CAA granting a C of A to cover the flight (and presumably the route). It is therefore inmportant to check with the Danes exactly what their Export C of A means.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP554.PDF

is the relevant UK document, which makes it clear that a UK Export C of A is not an ICAO document.

Hope that helps. Hows the Pitts?

Ludwig
29th Apr 2004, 15:19
Stik

We had a simpliar issue when we bought our Pitts as it came from Finland. I shall not go into the details of how we did it but one MAJOR problem you may find if the aircraft is to imported here for good, is that the moment it leaves it's current home airspace, the registration and Cof A is cancelled. We had a really big headache with the Finish system, and only managed to get it onto the UK reg. by the skin of our teeth. Don't know whether Denmark is the same.

Give me a call if you want to know more.

Cheers

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Apr 2004, 19:27
AFAIK the old CAA licence (like what I've got) is quite stable, and doesn't self destruct until the pilot pegs it (ie it's valid for life).

Currency, of course, is another matter, and depends on such stuff as valid medical and C of E.

SSD