PDA

View Full Version : Side-stick controlls

DanAir1-11
29th Apr 2004, 00:57
Once again I ask that you forgive my ignorance!.

Could any persons whom have flown with side-sticks please
advise how long it took to get fam'd with them, especially when coming off older gen types. For me personally, I could not imagine getting comfy real quickly with side-sticks, but then again I am an old f@rt now and as they say you can't teach and old dog new tricks... Understand and admire the technology behind them, just can't get my head around not having a yoke in front .

Regards

Iceman49
29th Apr 2004, 01:38
It takes about 3 seconds to get used to the side stick control...or for a slow learner like me...7 seconds.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Apr 2004, 07:07
That must be these easy electric jet things.

My experience of old fashioned manual aeroplanes is that it can often take as much as 5 minutes.

G

Pegasus77
29th Apr 2004, 09:52
It takes more time getting used to the sight of the nice table in front of you which you could use for writing, for your laptop, or just for dinner :-)

P77

Tree
29th Apr 2004, 16:46
It takes a long time to get used to the fact that:

A. You cannot tell how much control input the autopilot is entering.

B. You cannot tell how much control input the other pilot is entering.

In either case it could be full control input but you have no way of knowing that.

BigHairyBum
29th Apr 2004, 19:43
Beware of the tendancy to overcontrol and get into pio. The side stick should be treated like a lump of dog sh1t! Try not to touch it, if you do, then use two fngers for as little time as possible!

:mad: :E :mad:

Lemurian
30th Apr 2004, 12:28
I'm all for it.
It allows female first officers to fly in skirts.:rolleyes: :=

EFP058
30th Apr 2004, 15:58
I have never personally flown a bus, neither the real deal nor a simulator, but everyone who did and talked with me about this very issue said it takes about three to five minutes of actual handflying to get used to it and another ten or so minutes to feel comfortable about it.

My guess would be that it is more a mental thing than anything else. If you absolutely donŽt want to get used to it, chances are you wonŽt (or at least youŽll have a hard time in the process).

Spearing Britney
30th Apr 2004, 19:12
Before anyone asks when BigHairy writes pio it stands for pilot induced ossscillatiionssss (can't be arsed trying to spell it right and getting flamed!).

Two circuits and it's done, very intuitive...