PDA

View Full Version : Type Ratings

weegsltl
28th Apr 2004, 22:35
Hello,

As an ATPL'er is there a maximum number of aircraft types that you can by type rated on at one time?

Secondly what needs to be attained in order to keep the rating on the type current.

Lastly if the licence gets frozen due to not been current what is involved to get it unfrozen?

I ask because a friend of mine rekon's his uncle, who is a freelance pilot, is certified on A320/321/330/340 B737/757/767/777 fleets and a few other more obscure types. I believe he may of been current on these types at one time, however doubt that he can be current on them all at once and thus be able to take a flight whenever asked by an airline.

Thanks....

P.Pilcher
29th Apr 2004, 20:42
To be type rated on an aircraft, you undergo a course of ground training in the operation of the systems of the aircraft which is completed by undergoing some form of written or computer set test. Then you undergo practical training in the handling of the aircraft in normal and abnormal situations - emergencies by flying the aircraft and/or it's simulator. Once this is satisfactorily completed the Civil Aviation Authority endorse the aircraft type on your licence. Any number of such aircraft can be endorsed, but the endorsement is only valid for 5 years unless the pilot actually flies the aircraft and undergoes recurrent training on it or its simulator.

Once the aircraft is so endorsed, the airline will further train and test the pilot to ensure their competency in operating the aircraft in accordance with the proceedures laid down by that airline (they are all different).

Hence your friend's uncle may have all those aircraft types endorsed on his licence, but before flying any of them for an airline he will have to undergo training to make him "current on type". With large airliners, due to their complexities pilots are rarely "current" on more than one type at a time. The one exception is the B757/767 which were specifically designed to enable pilots to be "dual rated" by making their handling characteristics similar and providing them with similar flight deck layouts.

P.P.

pilotusa
11th May 2004, 17:11
The A320 type rating is also valid for the entire A320 series of aircraft, i.e. the A319, A318, and A321. At least, this is the case in the United States with an FAA type rating. The cockpits of this family of aircraft are virtually identical with each other.

pilotusa
12th May 2004, 02:24
US FAA type ratings never expire, so it's possible to have dozens of type ratings listed on your ATP certificate. In fact, pilots have been known to have their ATP certificates go on for several pages just to hold all the type ratings. They are all valid as long as currency is maintained on them (virtually impossible to do.)

There is no limit on how many can be kept current as far as regulations (US FARs) go. Most airlines, though, place a limit on their pilots maintaining currency on only one or two types at any given time. That's a decision of the air carrier, not the US FAA, though.