PDA

View Full Version : JAA Licence abroad?

boeingbus2002
28th Apr 2004, 22:09
Just a quick question to those who have jobs abroad.
If you have a JAA licence and you are working in a non-JAA State..then what happens to your licence?

I know some have converted to the national licence of that country, (Oz, S.Africa etc.) and this will be revalidated by the revalidation checks you do. However does your JAR licence automatically get revalidated this way too?
Some airlines in non-JAA states accept JAA licences, (Emirates?) so what happens in this situation?

From what i gather, and need clarification on is the TRE signing your check needs to be JAR authorised too. If not, does that mean a spell workin abroad could mean potentially letting the JAA licence lapse, requiring complete re-test if you want to get it back?!

Thanks

IRISHPILOT
30th Apr 2004, 04:13
hi BB.

It does not matter at all, where in the world you fly: There are several JAR-OPS operators in Latin America and the Caribben, and all these will keep your JAR licence current. Also, most of the European Agencies will keep the licence current, if outside JAA territory while in their employ.

Mostly, you will not do another full licence (which often is based on some old national European licnece), which would involve passing several tough subjects again, but you'd get a validation instead, sometimes just over the counter, sometimes you'll have to write Airlaw.

A JAR TRE is necessary and also a JAR approved simulator to keep your licence current.

regards, IP

boeingbus2002
1st May 2004, 16:13
Thanks for your reply IP,

I know flying for a JAR-OPS operator isn't a problem, whereever they are based since they would have a JAR TRE and approved sim to sort out the paperwork.

However if a job is obtained with a non JAR-OPS operator, (Where I have my licence converted/revalidated to another national licence) what would happen then? Any revals would be accepted to that authority but would my JAR licence lapse?

Would it just mean a simple trip (with cheque!) to Gatwick to sort it or more tests again.
Cheers

ONCECIMBER
2nd May 2004, 06:34
Hi there, IRISHPILOT!

U seem to know quite a lot about this licence-stuff!

1 more question for you then, or other takers?

I have a current Danish JAR licence with app 7000 hours on it. What will it take for me to get a UK validation?

Do I still have to go through the whole procedure, ie, all the exams and so on, or are JAR licences validated on a regular basis?

Thank you in advance!

And keep the shiny side up!:cool:

smiert spionom
2nd May 2004, 09:47
Hey Once Cimber,
Or should I say Fast Lane ???

Rgds.

Smiert "Supermand" Spionom (ex qi)

IRISHPILOT
3rd May 2004, 15:06
BB: Sorry, but you'll need a JAA examiner there to keep your JAA licence. - The cheque will not do. Don't know which tests would be involved though. I believe that depends for how long the licence has lapsed (and on the goodwill of the officer you are talking to that day).

OC: You wouldn't be flying an EMB145 for a well known and little loved Dutch company!?!
There are no validations for JAA licences in the UK. Not every JAR country does it this way, but the UK CAA will accept your Danish JAA licence including all ratings. you can of course swap it for a British licence if you want to, but I kept my Irish one for nostalgic reasons.