PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation

McJiz
28th Apr 2004, 17:28
Hi,

First post for me although I've been reading the boards for quite a while now (first time caller, long time listener hehe).

I have a question regarding PPL(A) revalidation and would appreciate any information you experienced types could share.

The last Certificate of Experience entered in my flying logbook is dated 26/08/99.

Now, it is obviously been more than five years since that date so what is the procedure for me to revalidate?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I did actually do some flying since then with a University Air Squadron but this wasn't signed off by the QFI when I left. Can I use this flight time towards my PPL?

Worst case scenario and I can't use this flight time, I think I have to do another GFT but do I need to do any more ground exams?

Thanks very much in advance :ok:

McJiz

rotorcraig
28th Apr 2004, 18:25
Welcome to PPRuNe as a poster!

Similar answer to one I posted yesterday to another question; the information you need can be found in LASORS 2004 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF) (warning 4.7Mb download!)

Section C5 (page 122) covers Licence Reissue, including Expired Licences.If the holder of a UK National or JAR-FCL pilot’s
licence has not held a valid Certificate of Test,
Certificate of Experience or Certificate of
Revalidation for any type/class rating that has
expired by more than 5 years** they may not have
their licence re-issued until such time as an
appropriate valid medical certificate and Certificate
of Revalidation are obtained. Applicants may either
renew an existing rating within their UK or JAR-FCL
licence or may wish to transfer a type/class rating
that he/she is currently flying under the privileges of
their non-UK ICAO licence.Detail as to what needs to be achieved to obtain Certificate of Revalidation is in Section F (page 246 onwards), varies by type, and made my brain hurt!

RC

McJiz
28th Apr 2004, 18:42

Will try that download you suggested.

Hopefully see you in the sky soon!

McJiz

RodgerF
29th Apr 2004, 08:56
McJiz

Since the last CofE in your log book was dated 26/8/99 it would not expire until 25/9/00. This is the date used to determine whether you are in the 'less than 5 years' or 'more than 5 years' case. You won't need to do the full Skills Test, just an LPC.

StrateandLevel
29th Apr 2004, 16:41
If the rating has expired, a Skill Test is required to renew it.

If the rating is still vald a Proficiency Check is required to revalidate it.

The content of the Skill Test and the Proficiency Check are the same, and entered on the same form SRG1119.

As its less than 5 years the examiner can renew the rating and no fee is payable to the CAA.

McJiz
29th Apr 2004, 17:54
Thats great news, saves me a little bit of expense anyway.

I'm looking to revalidate this summer with a view to sitting my ATPL ground school later in the year (Yup, another wannabee!).

Thanks Rodger, Strateandlevel and Rotorcraig for your replies.

Good to "meet" all of you :D

Thanks again

McJiz

BEagle
29th Apr 2004, 18:32
Strateandlevel, whilst you are, of course, totally correct, the problem is that many people don't know the difference betwen the PPL Skill Test and the SEP Class Rating renewal Skill Test.

Basically McJiz, you won't need to do any written exams (make sure that your FRTOL is valid though) - and the only flying you'll need to do is whatever it takes to get you ready for what you remember as a 'GFT'. Although it hasn't been called that for 5 years now!

McJiz
29th Apr 2004, 20:05
Thanks BEagle :ok:

After doing a search I noticed this question had been asked a few times before! Should of looked before posting, I'll remember for next time. Sorry!

One last thing. As I stated previously I'm hoping to embark on a career in commercial aviation and have recently bought a shiny new Professional Logbook.
How do i go about transferring my old logbook entries to my new one?
When I attend an FTO to revalidate my PPL should I talk to the examiner then and he can verify the transition from old to new? (sign the new book certifying correct).
Do I need to send them both to CAA or is none of this necessary and I just fill in my new logbook with the hours?

Last question on the subject, I promise :E

Cheers again,

McJiz

BEagle
30th Apr 2004, 07:21
You are only required to keep the old log book for 2 years since the date of the last entry.

Transfer the summary totals to your new log book and sign it.

You will not need to send either log book off to the CAA - and any good Flight Examiner should be able to give you a Form FCL 150CJAR for your licence after you pass your renewal skill test. Your licence will then be valid as soon as he/she has signed the form.

If you have an ancient style PPL (that tatty plastic thing) and want new style licence, stress to the CAA that you do NOT want a JAR-FCL PPL (which only lasts 5 years), you want your lifetime UK PPL re-issued in the new format. There may be a CAA fee if you want the licence reissued though.