PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Popham this weekend?

AerBabe
28th Apr 2004, 09:45
For the microlight trade fair of course. :) At the moment I'm planning on going over on Sunday. Anyone fancy meeting up for bacon butties and a cup o' tea?

bar shaker
28th Apr 2004, 10:36
Going on Saturday, but that's dependant on Wx
:bored:

Hopefully Ben will bring the jet powered Doodlebug along again :}

VP959
28th Apr 2004, 11:58
I'll be floating around on both days I suspect. Saturday is looking a bit grim on the weather front though (nothing new there then, traditional Popham weather..............)

Irv
28th Apr 2004, 15:09
.Anyone fancy meeting up for bacon butties and a cup o' tea?

I should be there Sat and Monday, say hi -

There are now new caterers and new menus at Popham, provided by "Cheryl and Alison" but don't worry, they now understand pilots enough to ensure there should be plenty of bacon standing by. The new extra 'thing' at Popham is 'Popham Cream Teas'. It just means if you have a bacon sarnie at your departure airfield before you set off due weather delays, you can have something different but equally tasty and unhealthy on your arrival

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2004, 15:48
I'll be around, possibly chatting to VP959. I'm the younger and better looking of the two.

G

AerBabe
28th Apr 2004, 15:54
Good grief... what on Earth can he look like then!
;)

VP959
28th Apr 2004, 16:00
Aerbabe,

We've met actually, at Fly London a week or so ago as I recall.

bar shaker
28th Apr 2004, 16:11
VP I have PM'd you :)

Fly Stimulator
28th Apr 2004, 17:18
I too plan to be there on Saturday, weather permitting.

Trying to decide whether to stay overnight. Anybody know what the beer tent situation is this year? Will there be one? Will it close early?

bar shaker
28th Apr 2004, 17:32
FS

There will be a beer wagon and it will stay open for campers but no idea how late it will stay open. Same with the food.

Fly Stimulator
28th Apr 2004, 17:43
BS,

Thanks for that. It could be weekend of flying contrasts - Saturday night in a muddy field at Popham with the microlight crowd followed by Sunday night in Laon with Aussie Andy.

Boris Johnson will be asking me to write the 'High Life' column in The Spectator at this rate!

Monocock
29th Apr 2004, 20:37
Weather looking like it's going to be porridge.

If not, i'll be there.

Taildragger
29th Apr 2004, 23:01
Aerbabe .....
I should be there Sunday, but without Le Dragger Grande though. She is in the shop for an Annual and six cylinder changes. Wont be ready till mid May and we are sweating on the VFWE at Kemble, so can't give you a ride. But do feel free to feed me a Bacon Butty.

FNG
30th Apr 2004, 06:48
Fly Stim, whilst it is true that Aussie Andy is very grand and fashionable company indeed, you can't write the High Life Column unless you are a serial shagger, coke fiend and jail bird. Do you qualify? I hope the weather gets better for those who are going. I enjoyed the mayhem of the circuit when I last visited the fair (generally good airpersonship on display, but having extra eyes would have been handy.

bar shaker
30th Apr 2004, 16:55
It looks like I will now be there on Sunday.

Damn this weather.

BS

Fly Stimulator
30th Apr 2004, 19:47
FNG,
One or two elements there which remain aspirations rather than achievements, so Taki's job is probably safe for the moment.

AerBabe
2nd May 2004, 15:19
I was in two minds whether to go to Shuttleworth today instead, but opted for Popham on the grounds that it was cheaper. It would have been, had I not ended up buying a helmet. :rolleyes:

What a great show though! Thanks Genghis, for the personal tour of the flight line - always an education, although I think I'm going to start making notes.

I want one of these:

http://www.airliners.net/photos/small/3/3/2/389233.jpg

Monocock
2nd May 2004, 17:19
What colour is your helmet Aerbabe?

:}

AerBabe
2nd May 2004, 17:43
You're so bad.
I'm going to ignore that. :p

I chose a colour to match the aircraft, of course. :ok:

VP959
2nd May 2004, 18:16
Must be a girlie thing, being colour coordinated. I presume you chose the blue one AerBabe?

I always buy black gear, as then it can't clash with anything I climb into, but I have a friend and colleague who insists on flying a PINK aeroplane wearing a pink and yellow flying suit. No accounting for taste I suppose, although I can't really complain having blagged a ride in his new one today (which was really rather good, IMHO). I think G the E blagged a ride as well, as he was certainly looking hopeful of getting one as we taxied in.

Funny old world when you pay more for the helmet than you do for the aircraft share though, innit AerBabe?

AerBabe
2nd May 2004, 18:28
Yes, I did go for blue. White shows the dirt and it's difficult to see where the blood stains are on red. Besides, it goes with my favourite pair of high heels. :cool:

Funny old world when you pay more for the helmet than you do for the aircraft share though You're not wrong. I'm still trying to work out which it says more about. Worst thing is not being able to take the helmet home and wear it in bed. :(

VP959
2nd May 2004, 18:45
AerBabe wrote:

"Worst thing is not being able to take the helmet home and wear it in bed. "

This seems entirely unreasonable. It should be every Englishpersons right to wear a helmet in bed (and to polish it regularly if required.......).

Monocock
2nd May 2004, 19:10
I visited the fly-in today and was met with such disdain by a fellow visitor that I thought it best to leave by 11am!!

I arrived deliberately early by air so as not to get in the way of any microlights arriving (speed clashes etc). Upon landing I specifically asked where "non-microlight" parking was so as not to get in the way of those that the fair was aimed at. I then parked up at the back (as suggested by A/G) and started walking across to see what was going on.....

"There's always one 'aint there" came a voice across the grass. I turned to be met with a bearded and somewhat red-faced looking man of about 40 years. "I beg your pardon" I replied.

"Alwyas one to ruin it for the rest" he spluttered.

"So you didn't like my landing ?" I retorted.

"In case you hadn't noticed mate, this event is for microlights" I was told.

It was at this point that I realised that I was best to leave it be. This guy looked shady. I was standing in the middle of a grass field with him and he had a leatherman tucked into his over stretched belt...!!!!!!

"Have a good day"......I said........what else could I say?!! I walked off dying to turn round and catch him flicking the V at me but decided against it. It was at this point that I also decided that I wouldn't be staying long.

I thought it was quite sad really. I had genuinely come along to see what was going on. I was interested in that Doodlebug thingy and was meeting the rest of may family there who had come by car as my little 1948 a/c can't carry 4 people.

By 11 am I had gone.

As I climbed away from runway 26 I decided to rename the microlight. From now on they shall be referred to by me as Micropolites.

I do hope the rest of you found the event slightly more welcoming.

P.S Aerbabe, just 'cos you,ve got a helmet now, please don't turn into a rednecked SEP abuser.........

:ugh:

VP959
2nd May 2004, 19:50
Monocock, I feel deeply ashamed that another microlighter should treat you this way, if indeed it was one. It is far from typical behaviour. In fact, in my experience microlighters are a very friendly lot, if perhaps overly exuberant on the alcohol consumption front, on the whole.

I rather suspect that you encountered one of the know-it-all spotters that tend to congregate either side of the strip at events such as these. They tend to be somewhat lacking in social skills on occasion and the remark made to you sounds fairly typical of one of their ilk.

If you are ever in the area again I'd be more than pleased to try to take you for a whizz in a microlight and introduce you to some of the more polite members of that fraternity.

Monocock
2nd May 2004, 20:03
That's a very kind offer.

I must admit, this pikey man did have a pair of bino's and a spiral bound A4 book so you're probably right.

Similarly, if you fancy a non-micropolite flight I'd me more than happy to reciprocate.

:ok:

yawningdog
2nd May 2004, 20:18
That's a shame you met someone like that. Can't have been a pilot. There were loads of spotters there today. I actually noted them with fondness as they waddled around in mutual admiration of all things wings. They are a breed to themselves. You missed a really nice little event in wonderful sunshine. Loads of microlights & group A aircraft in & out all the time.

I arrived just after a formation flight by the 2 jet powered Doodlebugs which was a pitty. Quite good aerojumble stalls. Wasn't too sure about the stalls selling "rag dolls" & "baby clothing" though!!

VP959
2nd May 2004, 20:28
Goodness knows why some internet weirdness made my post appear twice. Still, I've deleted the extra one now..............

(If this appears twice, please just assume either more internet weirdness or perhaps an excess of your favourite tipple causing double vision..........)

AerBabe
2nd May 2004, 20:41
It should be every Englishpersons right to wear a helmet in bed (and to polish it regularly if required.......). Sheesh, VP959, you seemed like such a Nice Man.

Monocock - Moi? Turn into a SEP abuser? Only if you ask nicely. :E Sorry to hear you had a run in with a spotter. I'm surprised your friend wasn't down at the carpark, hurling insults at all the people who drove in. :rolleyes: Also a shame you missed the Jet-Bug. It was the first time I'd seen them; very efficient way of turning money into noise. I'm not sure I'd want to stick a jet engine that close to my bottom though. :uhoh:

Genghis the Engineer
2nd May 2004, 22:14
I confess that on my own walk around the flightline I wasn't quite sure what all the people in yellow jackets were there for - they've not been there in previous years, and their sole function seemed to be ordering perfectly well behaved people around (including some otherwise harmless spotters). Personally I ignored them and they seemed to go away.

I enjoyed the weekend, albeit very quiet on Saturday (something to do with 2000m viz and a 400ft cloudbase). I think that Monocock's experience was atypical of the generally friendly attitude that prevailed.

G

bar shaker
3rd May 2004, 11:23
I had a great day, yesterday, meeting up with Fly Stimulator and VP959. I flew in with Microlight and Group A friends and am really angry about what was said to you, Monocock.

Why not come to Spamfield (http://www.wightparty.org/), where I can assure you a really good welcome. The Saturday night festivities must be amongst the best aviations do's any where in the world. GA need PPR at Sandown that weekend.

Aerbabe, must get Fly Stim or VP to introduce us one day. Did you get the NW job?

AerBabe
3rd May 2004, 16:05
Bar Shaker - Yes, especially if I DO get the job! Thanks for asking ... no, I haven't heard. They were meant to call on Friday, but apparently the fella was 'not at his desk'. Guess I find out tomorrow. :ugh:

Fly Stimulator
3rd May 2004, 17:54
It was indeed a good day and a chance to meet up with a lot of friends, though I failed to spot Aerbabe, Genghis and, worst of all, the jet bug!

The morning fog put an end to my planned romantic trip to France with Aussie Andy, but I did get to hear his Strine tones gabbing on at some length to Farnborough on the way home while hundreds of others waited in frustration with their fingers poised over their ptt buttons! ;)

A grand day out!

FNG
4th May 2004, 10:30
Fly Stim, I bet Andy won't read this thread, as Australians think that microlights are very small torches, but what bribe do you offer me not to dob you in to the great man for your last comment?

paulc
4th May 2004, 10:53
Sunday was a good day (much better than monday)

The yellow jacketed people were there to stop people crossing the landing runway to get to the aircraft parking unless they were a pilot / passenger. This was only done between 11am & 2pm which was a particularly busy time although outside these times people could still cross when supervised.

Aussie Andy
4th May 2004, 13:57
So that's why my ears are burning today then! http://members.lycos.co.uk/andyhardyuk/pprune/pip5.gif FS called me on Sunday when we landed to say as much.

In fact the Farnborough frequency 125.25 seemed very quiet to Adrian 1013.2 and I as we flew back, at least in contrast to the morning's cacophony of mainly microlighters heading for Popham.

We saw what I can only describe as "clouds" of microlights passing beneath us, and swarms of gliders around and above us between about Reading and MID in both directions. But it is a big sky, thank God!

Wasn't it just a cracking day to go flying :ok:

Andy

p.s. any spotters (ref the other thread) interested might like a look at our photos here: http://community.webshots.com/user/andyhardyuk/ and our track here: http://members.lycos.co.uk/andyhardyuk/pprune/Benson_Le_Touquet_Track.gif - I submit these as evidence that I did nothing wrong and that I am not a terrorist! ;)

Floppy Link
4th May 2004, 14:55
"In case you hadn't noticed mate, this event is for microlights" I was told.

"Of course, I'm thinking of buying one, please may I have a look at yours?"

"Err splutter waffle I don't have one"

"So why are you here then?"

"I'm a spotter"

"Oh f*** off you annoying ****!"

thanks to Reichman's Stude for providing the correct response. As detailed on the Spotter Police (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128992) thread

:E

Evo
4th May 2004, 14:58
Sadly my wit departed when faced with my annoying spotter. 30 seconds later I had all sorts of suitable replies, but by that point he was off laughing with his mate... :(

"Oh f*** off you annoying ****!"

would have worked though :ok:

FNG
4th May 2004, 15:17
Shades of the "World's Wittiest Man, Master of Wit and Ready Repartee" joke (United Nations World Heritage Joke Number 8)

AerBabe
4th May 2004, 15:38
How come all the 'proper' trade stands were staffed with one middle-aged man and several pretty young girls? Okay... rhetorical question...

I asked one of these young girls a question about helmets (stop sniggering at the back!) and she passed it on to her middle-aged man. He replied to the chap stood next to me. Chap stood next to me ignored him & carried on looking at the leaflet he was holding. I tried desperately to get M-A M's attention and failed. Young girl smiled sympathetically, made no attempt to correct M-A M and then served the next customer. :rolleyes: I decided if they didn't want to answer my question, they wouldn't get my business.

Monocock
4th May 2004, 15:46
I can sort of see what happened. Blokes can find it difficult discussing helmet issues with girls.

:eek:

bar shaker
4th May 2004, 15:48
The man's a fool then Aerbabe.

He missed the oppurtunity to serve a fit young lady aviator and throw a whole stream of double entendres into the sale :E

Mike Cross
4th May 2004, 16:02
Australians think that microlights are very small torches
They seem to be spot on. I suppose this amount of flame would appear small to an Australian
http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/flames.jpg
This is an alternatively fuelled microlight, I think he was using Prawn Vindaloo when the engine is clearly designed for Chicken Jalferezi, hence the afterburner effect.

Mike

Monocock
4th May 2004, 16:04
Good job the bird in the foreground had been given plenty of warning and had found something to hang on to...

Aussie Andy
4th May 2004, 17:31
Mike: that's brilliant ;) Best larf today!