PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with haze

ozplane
28th Apr 2004, 09:23
I hope all the experienced private aviators out there don't think this is a foolish question but how do you deal with haze? The forecast for my return route from Fenland on Sunday was for "all the 9s" but steering 180 degrees into the midday hazy sun and staring out of a 36-year old, and therefore fairly scratched, windscreen was not my idea of fun. As my route passed 3 gliding fields it was a question of "eyes out" of the cockpit all the time and my GPS isn't bright enough to overcome the glare. I resorted to steering 160 for a bit and then 200 for a bit longer until the familiar landmarks came up, thus avoiding the worst of the fug. Any offers? (I was using a pair of Ray-Bans BTW)

yawningdog
28th Apr 2004, 09:45
Just make sure your planning is spot on, and always be prepared for low viz. Always plan to avoid gliding sites, impossible to see gliders even on good viz days.

If you have to make diversions, make sure you are up-to-scratch with a technique, before you set off on an unplanned course. If not, you could end up with more problems.

Always try to be on frequency with a radar service, preferably RIS, nice to have someone looking out for you.

There's nothing you can buy that lets you see through haze or cloud.

140cherokee
28th Apr 2004, 09:46
If forward viz is really bad, fly quadrantals, declare IFR and get a service. Won't excuse you from the need to look out, but you'll have done everything possible (doesn't require an IMC/IR to do this in VMC).

If the murk is due to an inversion, try and climb on top (CAS permitting)

IO540
28th Apr 2004, 10:08
how do you deal with haze

Get an IMC Rating, navigate 100% IFR (GPS/VOR/DME) and get an RIS if possible. Haze must be the #1 biggest pain in UK flying; these great summers but no horizon...

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2004, 11:03
Careful and thorough flight planning.

Religious use of the stopwatch.

Not relying upon any single source of navigation information (even GPS).

Advance familiarisation of good landmarks (better still, navigate to a line feature and follow it the last couple of miles) around my destination.

Ask for a RIS to keep my workload and stress levels down a bit.

And yes, fly quadrantals regardless.

G

ozplane
28th Apr 2004, 16:07
Thanks chaps...good advice as always. Only problem is getting a RIS on a Sunday in that bit of East Anglia.

Fly Stimulator
28th Apr 2004, 17:22
Going higher can help too. I flew back to London from Fenland on Saturday when it was hazy low down, but at 6,000' it was lovely.

Clearly airspace will sometimes rule this out, but around East Anglia you do usually have that option.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Apr 2004, 18:16
Going higher can help too. Yep. One particular day the top of the haze was 4000', above which it was perfectly clear and the top of the haze layer gave a nice horizon :). (Being able to find the destination airfield, one I hadn't visited before, peering down through nearly a mile of crud, was another matter however :(.)

FJJP
28th Apr 2004, 23:14
Flying in haze towards the sun is a real bitch. However, water features generally stand out up-sun - rivers and lakes in particular are useful navaids. However, beware flooded fields - they can seriously distort the picture. Be accurate with your flying, to give your navigation the best chance. Also, don't be afraid to use LARS - ATCOs are an incredibly helpful bunch if you ask them nicely for assistance [the deadliest and deadest aviators are loaded with false pride and egos the size of the crater they generally create at the end]...

Irv
28th Apr 2004, 23:29
Flying in haze towards the sun is a real bitch

Every year seems to get worse, or maybe its just my eyesight and memory! :(
One problem is always knowing wher the top of the haze is, and whether its worth 'trying' to get on top.
It's worth knowing that the forecast inversion 'top' for different areas of the country is available on the Met Office website for free, (but you have to register) - its just in a slightly inconvenient place for the majority of GA - go to the ballooning section from the main aviation page:Start here (http://www.metoffice.com/aviation)

I am nagging them to duplicate it over to GA pages or at least link it.

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Apr 2004, 05:56
Hi O,

The course bracketing which you applied is certainly something I use at times, you just have to make sure your navigational awareness is spot on.

Although it won't solve the problem altogether but can help no end, have you thought about improving the windshield situation? There are several product ranges available that can rejuvenate windscreens and make life a lot easier but if that does not work you may have to bite the bullet and get a new one put one on.

Whilst you investigate how to tackle the screen get yourself a can of 'Plexus' and use that. It is amazing stuff and just sprays on and then you wipe it off.

Best of luck.

FD

Evo
29th Apr 2004, 06:50
This is probably a stupid question, but do you need a transponder to get a RIS? I would have presumed that you would, but I can't find it written down.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Apr 2004, 07:04
Every time I have asked somebody from NATS that question, I've been told no - you don't need a transponder.

However, I think once ever have I actually been given a RIS in an aircraft without a transponder, all other times it's been refused.

So, regardless of what the rulebook or NATS may say, I'd work on the assumption that you won't get a RIS unless you have a transponder fitted.

G

Evo
29th Apr 2004, 07:21
However, I think once ever have I actually been given a RIS in an aircraft without a transponder, all other times it's been refused.

I rather expected that (as RIS is workload-dependent and if you're primary-only then it must be more work for the controller). Still, it's nice to know that it's a possibility.

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Apr 2004, 07:28
Happy to stand corrected on this one but my understanding is that equipment requirements are airspace dependent.

However if you have ever had the chance to go and visit any of the ATC establishments you will a. appreciate the workload and b. see that seing a blip without a code is going to be a PITA to keep an eye on (probably easier for the trained eye)

FD

Evo
29th Apr 2004, 07:34
F'D' - I have, and I do.

TonyR
29th Apr 2004, 08:01
I think its a pity we (in the UK / Ireland) don't give "pilot reports" as in the US.

Very often I have been above the haze perhaps at only 3k, and have heard pilots below having difficulty with the conditions. I will always pass on that "its ok at 3000ft" or so.

We should all make an effort to pass on "useful" info to ATC so that other pilots benefit,

PLEASE DONT GIVE YOUR LIFE STORY TO ATC WHILE DOING SO.

I would suggest everyone (even UL and Microlight drivers) get some basic instrument training as it is easy to get caught out in low vis.

Tony

FNG
29th Apr 2004, 08:12
Short pilot reports of actual weather are a very good idea. I've more than once been asked by ATC to let them know what the weather is playing at, and did a short stint as volunteer weather ship for Wattisham just the other week ("sorry, I can't see where the storm is because of the big hailstones bouncing off the screen and shredding the prop").

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Apr 2004, 08:26
EVO,

No criticism intended or implied.

FD

SwanFIS
29th Apr 2004, 08:34
TonyR

A very good suggestion. Pilots seem reluctant to "join in" a pilot ATC conversation concerning weather, serviceability or the like with their own up to date observation. When it has happened I have always found it helpful for the pilot concerned and myself.

Why not give unprompted reports about pertinent factors such as a build up of TC / CBs you have spotted or the top altitude of a haze layer as is being discussed? It can only be to the benefit of other pilots and helps me build up a better picture of present conditions. Any information that helps a pilot make an informed decision about his flight must be good for safety.

I am of course talking from the point of view of area FIS and would not suggest this is tried on a busy control freq.

SWANFIS