PDA

View Full Version : Barton to Sherburn In Elmet

coopervane
28th Apr 2004, 09:02
Hi, just wondered if anyone has flow this route and which is the best way to transit the pennines.

Coop & Bear

PPPPP
28th Apr 2004, 09:24
You might get lucky and get a transit due East through the zone and Leeds will probably also oblige, but otherwise I'd go Barton/Bury/Crosland Moor/Barnsley, then talk to Church Fenton. You'll get a FIS from Manchester Radar and Leeds if you wish, but it's a well-travelled route with as far as I know no real problems.

knobbygb
28th Apr 2004, 09:57
Yep, done it a couple of times.

Head north from Barton to the M62 "Swinton Interchange", then track east along the motorway all the way to Yorkshie. So long as you stay north of the motorway while close to Manchester you'll be clear of their class D.

There's a mast on top of the pennines just by the motorway - it's the highest point on the route at 1637amsl. This makes a great reference point and can be seen from both the Barton and Sherburn overheads on a clear day (a what?) and if you know where to look.

I wouldn't bother talking to Manchester (but don't forget to get their QNH for the departure from Barton under their airspace). Leeds are very friendly and happy to provide a service - they should be able to see you on their radar while you're still west of the pennines if you're high enough. The one complaint I'd have is that they often try to tell you what altitude to fly while receiving a FIS in class G (albeit under their class D) - you'll probably get 'not above 2000ft', even where their floor is at 3000.

You'll probably find yourself overhead Huddersfield - the football stadium is pretty unmistakeable (10-1 to the City!) - and then Wakefield (the prison is easy to spot right in the centre of town).

On approach to Sherburn, you'll see three power stations spread out West to East along the M62. Sherburn is just north of the first one (Eggborough). Call Fenton for MATZ clearance and they'll probably tell you to report when visual with Sherburn. Approaching from the SW, you will be able to see some large white/grey industrial units from quite a distance - these are on the edge of the airfield. Don't forget that due to the MATZ the overhead join is at only 1500ft.

One other idea - you'll pass close to Crossland Moor airfield en-route (Just SW of Huddersfied). This might be worth popping in to if you have time. A bit 'different' (runway is half tarmac and half grass and is on a steep hill at the edge of a quarry). Friendly caravan by the farmhouse/barns where you can make a cuppa and enjoy the views over the moors. No landing fee for privarte flights.

javelin
28th Apr 2004, 12:02
M60, M62 - try the bridge if you are feeling brave - Ferrybridge, keep going to the third power station, turn left and you are on left base for Breighton - much better bacon sarnies and lots to see :E

DRJAD
28th Apr 2004, 16:00
KGB,

To be pedantic for a moment (not that I have ever been accused of such!), the first of the three East-West power stations, on that route, south of Sherburn is named Ferrybridge, Eggborough is the middle, or second, power station.

In fact, following the railway line north from Ferrybridge will bring one, in short order, to Sherburn in Elmet village, just to the west of the airfield. Alternatively, 333 degrees for three minutes at 100 knots (approximately) from Eggborough, will bring one to the Sherburn overhead.

knobbygb
28th Apr 2004, 20:29
Oops. I KNEW that! And I know who taught you the 333/3 thing as well! Did that under the foggles once and it works!

DRJAD
29th Apr 2004, 08:53
Foggles, plume from the power stations, etc., its all the same.

As you say, the RP (333/3) technique works!