PDA

View Full Version : Mode S - Again

Fuji Abound
27th Apr 2004, 22:21
Well I understand the current position is that GA will require to have a mode S transponder fitted for IFR flights through controlled airspace from March next year.

I was therefore surprised to learn from I think a well informed supplier that there is not a single control zone equipped to interrogate mode S at the moment or likely to be by March next year. Is this really so?

If it is, why do we allow the regulators to badger us in to replacing expensive equipment to find either the dates slips further or having fitted the unit in fact no one in the UK is able to interrogate it.

bookworm
28th Apr 2004, 06:46
No, you'll need Mode S only in notified airspace, which is essentially just the airways and TMAs. My understanding is that the LATCC radars are currently capable of Mode S interrogation, but I may be wrong. In those class D CTRs/CTAs around regional airports with their own radar, you do not need, and are not likely to benefit from, Mode S.

Stan Evil
28th Apr 2004, 16:13
In fact the 2005 deadline is even more specific - high usage CAS in the South East so I guess London TMA and feeder airways only. After that it will be introduced gradually into more CAS as the ground environment is updated to support it. The real crunch only comes in 2008.

IO540
28th Apr 2004, 17:34
A bigger crunch (for some) is what happens in the rest of Europe.

The UK might get an airways-only dispensation but that's no good for going abroad.

A related matter is when/if we are going to get traffic upload via Mode S. It doesn't look at all likely in the next few years, and the GA scene isn't exactly growing, most of the planes aren't likely to fit the displays, and all the bigger planes have TCAS anyway. I have spoken to both Garmin and Honeywell and they are not aware of any moves in this area. Both say (as of course they would!) that 2005 is the real date if one wants to fly in Europe IFR.