PDA

View Full Version : VFR charts for Greece/Turkey

Bluebeard777
26th Apr 2004, 17:51
Where do people get VFR charts for Greece and Turkey? These are not covered by the Jeppesen VFR series, and I understand the ONC charts don't show the airspace.........

IO540
26th Apr 2004, 18:12
This is a pain. You use the 500k ONC chart (latest for Greece is c. 1998) for terrain, restricted and danger areas, and you use the 1M-scale Jeppesen IFR chart (low level #14) for the controlled airspace.

You then ought to get the Bottlang VFR trip kit. These come in a huge range of permutations and in a variety of different quality ring binders, but you can get one which does Italy, Greece Turkey (I think it is the "C" kit).

Obviously you want a GPS with an up to date map which covers the area.

Another way, not tried by me, would be if you have the Jepp flight planning software. This should provide you with a composite chart for all areas covered. But one must still carry the printed ones in the plane.

Bluebeard777
26th Apr 2004, 21:43
Yes IO, I have the latest GPS update. One needs to have paper charts in any event. I am about to order the Bottlang kits, but that still leaves the issue of charts. The Greek CAA's website is entirely in Greek. I suppose the ONC chart could be marked up with the airspace off the IFR chart you mention, I will look into the practicality of this. The Aerad charts are also mentioned in the "Flyer" article about the odyssey of G-EYCO.

I wonder what the domestic VFR pilots in Greece use?

A and C
27th Apr 2004, 08:32
There is very little GA in greece and so you will find that the locals use a combination of the ONC and Jepp low airways charts.

VFR traffic can use the lower airways and I would reccomend this as position reporting outside the airway system can be problamatical to help with this I would advise that all off airway position reports are by radial/ distance from a VOR or NDB.

It is a great place to fly but GA is a bit of a mistery to the authoritys and when you get much past Corfu you are very much on your own as far as how easy it is to get in and out of the airports once you have landed.
I would reccomend that you have some sort of aviation picture ID with you as transiting the airport security can be a problem but once the authoritys have established that you are the crew of an aircraft they are normaly very helpfull.

With good weather very cheap usage fees Greece is a great place to fly but it requires some forward planning and if you want to use a civil/military airport two weeks notice is required from the Greek CAA , be sure to make your fax very clear as to your plans as to arrival , days parking and departure as there English is a little basic sometimes.

IO540
5th May 2004, 11:30
if you want to use a civil/military airport two weeks notice is required from the Greek CAA

I have just checked and this is not the case, certainly not now, for civilian airfields in Greece.

There are lots of "procedures" over there however which are not usual in the UK e.g. mandatory VFR routes etc.

Flying over there appears easy enough but a lot of digging for information is needed first; the charts are just a part of the problem.