PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for routing in to Blackbushe from the North?

DRJAD
26th Apr 2004, 14:35
Planning to visit Blackbushe on Wednesday, and thought of routing from DTY - WCO (3500'), WCO - WOD 3500' descending to 2300' west abeam Booker, then direct to EGLK avoiding nearby villages.

Anyone any contraindications for that? (May need to divert around Thame, I guess.)

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 14:44
Thame gliding site is only active at weekends. Note the White Waltham reporting points Whisky (flooded pits east of Reading) , November (the bend of the Thames north of Henley) and Sierra (M4 junction 10): traffic may be encountered there descending from 2000 feet plus towards the Waltham overhead. The Waltham aerobatters, me included, tend to be active north of Reading and sometimes west of the Chilterns. Chalgrove may have nutters rocketing out of a Meteor on bang-seat tests. There's a little hard to see grass strip just south of the M40 if you cross it east of Chalgrove.

The new half mil chart has a little surprise for you west of Booker.

DRJAD
26th Apr 2004, 15:00
Thanks FNG, just the kind of info. that helps.

(I had seen the kerfuffle about Stokenchurch Mast, too. Cheers.)

Wycombe
26th Apr 2004, 20:13
Sounds good to me DRJAD.

Good idea to go via WOD, which will keep you well clear of the Burghfield/Aldermaston restricteds a few miles further West.

If EGLL are on Easterlies, you may find yourself spectacularly close to some heavies as you cross WOD at 2300' (they are turning base above you from the N and S at about 3500/4000' in the Class A above :cool: ).

Good idea, once you've got it in sight, to try to approach EGLK from the NW (ie, straight towards the deadside for 26/08), so as to avoid the noise abatement are of Yateley, which is N of the field.

Call Farnborough LARS for FIS/RIS as required passing Wycombe.

Flybywyre
27th Apr 2004, 22:26
The new half mil chart has a little surprise for you west of Booker

What's that then :confused:

(save me buying a new map :ok:

Regards
FBW

FNG
28th Apr 2004, 05:28
See the thread, a page or two down, about Stokenchurch. I could post a link to it, but it's early and I'm too groggy to do clever stuff like that at 0630.