PDA

View Full Version : BA polite pilot??

ybustagut
26th Apr 2004, 14:23
If you have a conversation with someone, and at he end of it you go your different ways you would probably say ‘Goodbye’ or something similar.

When I transfer aircraft from one frequency to another I usually say ‘Cheerio’ or something similar. Most pilots reply with a similar gesture – except BA into Gatwick!

Most BA pilots do not say ‘goodbye’

Why is that I wonder? Is it a sign of their dissatisfaction with the service I have provided? Have I kept them too high too fast, or too slow and low? Is it because they had too many miles, or a rushed approach? Or is it because the BA operating manual forbids any pleasantries or courtesies?

If I adopt the BA idea and never say ‘goodbye’, when the rest of the pilot fraternity are pleasant and add a farewell phrase to their last transmission it would be rude not to reply, but that means an extra transmission for me, wasting R/T time.

So what should I do?
:confused:

Arkady
26th Apr 2004, 15:41
Pleasantries tend to disappear as the workload increases, on either side of the mike; perhaps this is the case on the KK routing.

BOAC
26th Apr 2004, 16:42
ybag - where do you work, if you are near Cambridge? I cannot say I have heard you on any of the London sectors, but in my experience there is a reasonable amount of 'goodwill' chat, less from us if we sense you are busy - ie a continous stream of instructions to a/c!

I'll listen out for you. I think we all rate the UK guys and girls as 'tops'.

DirtyPierre
26th Apr 2004, 22:33
Maybe when the BA pilots are flying in OZ they're just so happy to be here that they always sound so friendly.

Generally find that nearly all pilots, whatever the company, will say "gidday" when the ATC initiates. Many say it anyway.

I also agree with Arkady that when workload increases, pleasantries decrease.

unwiseowl
26th Apr 2004, 22:45
I say "bye" if the controller does when he transfers me. If he doesn't say "bye", then I don't give him cause to make that extra tx. OK?

hangten
26th Apr 2004, 22:45
being in the tower at gatwick i reckon most pilots are pretty friendly, the ba ones no different - altho i can only speak from two weeks experience!

i'm still training at the mo so pleasantries are minimal, sorry guys and girls gotta keep that r/t slick for the validation board...

maxy101
27th Apr 2004, 09:15
Probably because every month we get some new idiot manager berating us for something or other. Now and then it's gash R/T

Timothy
27th Apr 2004, 14:36
From the other side of the fence I always start "London Good Morning G-LIZZ" and always finish with "G-ZZ to 132.7 thanks bye" and I find most controllers do the equivalent, except London TMA who seem to stick by the book and never shorten a call sign and never say hello or good-bye.

ybustagut
28th Apr 2004, 22:21
BOAC Quote ''where do you work, if you are near Cambridge? ''

I work at Ltcc on Essex/EGSS and EGKK so you probably have spoken to me but you wouldn't know.

It's interesting that someone thinks the TMA don't say 'hello or goodbye' I work along side these guys and I haven't noticed that

I won't take the lack of farewell gesture personally, and continue to give one myself!!

BOAC
29th Apr 2004, 10:34
ybag - are you in that sector we briefly bounce off out of LGW ('climb 210')?

ybustagut
29th Apr 2004, 14:34
No BOAC that is TMA, I work only SFD outbounds on 08, or non-standards like early turns for the 'light a/c' and go-arounds etc. My main job is all the inbounds on 26, APP and Final director.

On EGSS I control all inbounds, all west-bound departures and the odd eastbound, and all of the Luton traffic that comes in through Lorel.

PS Actually, after further discussion we reckon Gee Bee are pretty mean with their courtesies, must be the BA link!!:D

Da Dog
29th Apr 2004, 15:18
A big thank you to the LGW director on 126.525 and 118.95 for yesterdays sterling performance between 16.45 and 17.30 local when the thunderstorms and heavy rain were causing chaos, nothing seemed like to much trouble for them:ok:

Next time I'll try and say G'day;)

BOAC
29th Apr 2004, 15:19
Nae wurries, ybag - in the true interests of 'CRM' I shall beat my F/O around the swede should he not respond in kind:D

It is certainly NOT Is it a sign of their dissatisfaction with the service I have provided? Have I kept them too high too fast, or too slow and low? Is it because they had too many miles, or a rushed approach?

Arkady
29th Apr 2004, 15:44
"ybag - are you in that sector we briefly bounce off out of LGW ('climb 210')?"

That's Capital isn't it? Is Capital considered part of the TMA?

ybustagut
3rd May 2004, 08:51
Yes Capital is part of the TMA and yes that is the sector, nothbound out of EGKK, that gives climb to 210.

Arkady
3rd May 2004, 09:29
Wow!! All those LMS controllers were doing the TMA for years and never knew it!!!

BOAC
5th May 2004, 11:36
Well, ybag - time to chuck this shuttlecock back over the net!

I must have said 'goodbye', thank you or likewise to several of our UK ATC colleagues last night (2470/2471) and as I recall, only the LGW director and tower responded in like fashion.:p

Charley B
12th May 2004, 07:18
Maybe they were busy BOAC!

I have an occasional listen to the Worthing Sector and the Guys and Girls there are very friendly ,saying hello and goodbye to 90% of traffic.
Most BA/GB are polite that Ive heard --Swiss Air seem to sound the happiest--Alitalia the loudest!!

AyrTC
12th May 2004, 07:31
Hello and goodbye are fine ,however I was a bit put off last month when after along debate about conflicting flightplans I managed to sort out the route of a French "Regional" airline from EGPD, and the male pilot responded with "thank you Scottish you are beautiful" very unsettling, maybe something got lost in translation and how did he know :yuk:

AyrTC.

PS I will MOR any BAW KK crew who feel this should be the new way to thank Scottish:p :p :p

BOAC
12th May 2004, 07:48
Absolutely, Charley B - refer to post 3 page 1:D

AyrTC - but they are - what a quandary!

Best get the MOR pad out:D