PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a PPL examiner?

Hufty
26th Apr 2004, 11:08
Does anybody know how hard it is to become a PPL examiner? I am assuming that it is similar to the AME debate - i.e. just because you're qualified, doesn't mean there are going to be opportunities.

I don't have an FI rating but am considering doing one soon and quite fancy the idea of examining at PPL level at some stage.

Thanks,
Hufty

IRRenewal
26th Apr 2004, 11:19
Easy.

Must have 1000 hours total

Apply to CAA. They look at number of examiners already in your area. If there is room, you can move on. If there are enough, you get nowhere.

If CAA says yes you go and do a two day course with a FIE, followed by a mock PPL skill test with said FIE where you play the examiner.

At some point you need to pay the CAA some money. Can't remember the exact amount, but it will be in the CAA scheme of charges on their website. The authorisation you get is valid for three years.

It's different from the AME debate in that you cannot do the course if there is no space available in your area.

I suggest you get a copy of LASORS or download it from the CAA web site. All this kind of information is in there. It's a very handy reference manual and only costs £10.

Cheers

Gerard

BEagle
26th Apr 2004, 11:38
And do remember that being an Examiner has its downside. Because for JAR-FCL PPLs, you may not conduct a test on anyone to whom you've given instruction, except for student sampling or progress check purposes. So you can end up not doing a whole lot of insruction if you're not careful - and then you'll have to do a revalidation FI Skill Test AND go to a seminar when your FI revalidation is due AND fly the 'observed flight test' when you later wish to be re-authorised as an Examiner! Have a small business plan in place before you rush into anything!

Hufty
27th Apr 2004, 11:02
Thanks for your responses - I will bear it all in mind. I am a long way off doing all this (or even having 1000 hours!) but I still think it would be good.

Cheers,
Hufty