PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Edmonton, Alberta

AerBabe
26th Apr 2004, 10:28
I'm off for to Canada for several weeks in June and would love to do some mountain flying round the Rockies. I'll be based in Edmonton, but could hire a car to drive west if necessary. Does anyone have any contacts around this area, or a flying school they can recommend?

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 12:42
You would need to go quite a long way further west to British Columbia for this, but I've heard good reports of a chap called Michael Peare, a Brit who used to run the Condor Club, at an outfit in Delta, BC, near Vancouver: http://www.proifr.com/team/index.php?teamcatid=3

I am very jealous, as I have long wanted to go wilderness float flying in Canada (also, one day I must fly around the CN Tower in Toronto, which has very relaxed airspace, and an airstrip on an island in the lake). Don't get eaten by bears.

PS; I think that Chuck Ellsworth operates somewhere around Vancouver.

tacpot
26th Apr 2004, 13:20
I had a flight with an instructor from Centennial Flight Centre in Edmonton about four years ago when I was in Edmonton for an IT Training Course. They were very friendly, helpful and accomodating. I had a great trip, but had trouble spotting the field as we came back because I was looking too far from the city for it. The airport is only four or five blocks from the first skyscrapper!

They have a website at http://www.centennial.ca. They also have some photos from a mountain checkout ride, so it looks like Mountain Flying is possible from Edmonton, although I just went out into their Local Training Area.

AerBabe
26th Apr 2004, 17:37
FNG - I would love to do some float flying too, but it's out of the question this time.
Tacpot - Thanks for the link. I've emailed them about the mountain course and will keep my fingers crossed I can afford it!

Foz2
26th Apr 2004, 19:07
Aerbabe,

Can't help with any flying info, but just to say if you havent been to Edmonton before, it is a cool place. I spent ten months in Canada a few years ago and about three weeks in Edmonton. Old Strathcona is a really nice part of the city and Whyte avenue is the seriously cool for nightlife. I wouldnt bother with the West Edmonton Mall (The largest in the world) - its pretty boring if you ask me - a lot of hype about nothing!!!

Hope you have a good time

Foz2