PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser HMAC 25-KA Headset

nexusix
26th Apr 2004, 05:08
Does anyone have the Sennheiser HMAC 25-KA Headset or know about it? I was wondering if it can be used in a small prop plane like a cessna. I've been thinking about purchasing this for my private plane flying.

TBEE
26th Apr 2004, 10:03
nexusix

If you mean the HMEC 25-KA , I've used it to good effect on a large transport jet with a noisy flight deck. It is light, gives good noise attenuation and has the advantage of an articulated earpiece( for listening to the flight attendant's description of the dubious liquid being offered for oral consumption). I have not used it on a piston aircraft but suspect it would not offer quite the same level of protection or noise attenuation as the full cup type earpiece of the other models. When flying a Trinidad I use the Bose X which is generally more comfortable, if somewhat more expensive and cumbersome.

nexusix
28th Apr 2004, 16:48
Hi TBEE, The Bose X is very nice, but the price on those are about $1000 U.S. Dollars.:eek:

I think I will try the HMEC 25-KA, Ill tell you how it works out in a small plane (piston plane);)

S-Works
28th Apr 2004, 17:10
Save your money, you will be very dissapointed. My search for the perfect headset is well known on PPrune as I have tried MANY different types including the headset you mention. They are useless in a GA aircraft, the cups provide no noise protection at all.

I tried, Clarks, Pilot, Sennheiser and ended up with the Bose which I have to say are the best headset I have ever owned.

Taildragger
29th Apr 2004, 23:12
Nexusix ....
At almost £500 a pop, I would say that you could by a nice david Clark for half the price, which is very comfortable with good performance. Even an excellent noise cancelling headset will be much cheaper than the Sennheiser HMEC 25-KA which is described on their web site as being designed for large jet operations. BA used to use the Sennheiser (Maybey they still do) way back in the 80's but not the noise attenuating type.