PDA

View Full Version : Instruct without an ATPL

IMC1
25th Apr 2004, 22:55
I'm sure this has been asked before...but, can you gain an instructors rating and instruct on a PPL if you don't receive any payment? Completing an ATPL seems overkill if weekend Instructing is all you want. Tkx

Evo
26th Apr 2004, 05:32
Yes. It's in LASORS, but IIRC you need 150 hours P1 and must complete the CPL theory exams. You can then do an FI course and instruct.

I assume that you can instruct with a Class-2 medical in this case, otherwise I can see no point in not just taking the CPL flight test as well and get some money back for your efforts! You have the hours and you've done the exams...!

BEagle
26th Apr 2004, 06:56
Before commencing a Flight Instructors Course (FIC) an applicant must satisfy the course pre-entry requirements as per JAR-FCL 1.335: -

a) Hold either a valid UK CAA or JAR-FCLaeroplane pilots licence, which includes a valid Single Engine Piston (Land) Class or single pilot, Single Engine Type Rating.

b) Meet the knowledge requirements for the grant of a JAR-FCL Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) as per AMC FCL 1.470(b).

c) Have completed at least 200 hours of flight time on aeroplanes of which a:

i) PPL(A) holder shall have at least 150 hours as PIC or

ii) CPL/ATPL(A) holder shall have at least 100 hours as PIC.

d) PPL/CPL/ATPL(A) holder shall have completed:

i) At least 30 hours on single engine piston powered aeroplanes of which at least 5 hours shall be in the six months preceding the pre-entry flight test.

ii) At least 10 hours instrument flight instruction in aeroplanes of which not more than 5 hours may be instrument ground time in a FNPT or a flight simulator.

iii) At least 20 hours of cross-country flight as PIC of aeroplanes, including a cross-country flight of at least 540km (300 nm) in the course of which full-stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodromes of departure shall be made.

iv) Pass a specific pre-entry flight test with a FI qualified as per JAR-FCL 1.330(f) based upon the proficiency check as per JAR-FCL 1.240(b), within the six months preceding the start of the course. *

*The pre-entry flight test will assess the ability of the applicant to undertake the course.

PS - Please avoid multiple postings. It isn't the right thing to do on PPRuNe!