PDA

View Full Version : Importing US aircraft

Bigskin
25th Apr 2004, 20:47
Could anybody shed some light on the importation of N registered aircraft into the UK?. I understand that registration is straightforward, but the C of A or Permit to Fly issues are much more costly. Thanks>

A and C
25th Apr 2004, 21:44
Regiatration is just a paperwork thing and the costs are very low .

The problems start with getting the C of A you MUST ,MUST & MUST get an export C of A from the USA , the aircraft must meet the type data sheet spec or you are going to be into a lot of delays sorting out the mod state.

The local CAA office will send an inspector to check the aircraft out , if all is well then the fees are the ones relative to MTOW that you will find in the airworthiness notices.

Dont let this put you off importing an aircraft but you will save yourself a lot of trouble if you buy a compleatly standard aircraft , all these go faster mods that you see will just cost you time and money getting them past the CAA.

PhilD
26th Apr 2004, 20:40
Why bother, just leave it on the N reg and get an FAA PPL

Brooklands
27th Apr 2004, 13:11
Bigskin,

If you're thinking of importing an aircraft that will go onto a Permit to Fly, then you will find this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127711) informative. While it isn't impossible, its certainly not easy (even by aviation standards:( ).

Brooklands

IO540
27th Apr 2004, 13:39
Is it possible at all to import a US Exp category plane into the UK?

Brooklands
27th Apr 2004, 16:52
IO540,

Is it possible at all to import a US Exp category plane into the UK?

While I don't have any personal experience of this, I believe that, in the past some kit planes built in the USA or Canada have been brought over to the UK, and are now flying on the G reg with a PFA permit. However, AFAIK the process of getting them onto a permit is time consuming, expensive, and above all there is NO GAURANTEE that you will be able to get a permit at all. I'm very much with what Ghengis said in the other thread Don't try and get inolved in a US "experimental" aircraft from the UK, it'll all end in tears.

Brooklands