PDA

View Full Version : Flight Plan Route: naming of points off designated routes

Aussie Andy
25th Apr 2004, 20:36
In Safety Sense leaflet 20A "VFR Flight Plans" it says
for flights OFF designated routes, list points normally not more than 30 minutes flying time apart and enter DCT (DIRECT) between successive points. Points may be VORs, VRPs, land features or co-ordinates.So, does that mean:[list=1]
I can put "DCT Portsmouth Harbour" instead of "DCT SAM134012"?
I can put "DCT CHERGOURG VRP S" instead of "DCT MP 211009"?
etc?
[/list=1]I don't mind putting coordinates ref. VOR/NDB etc., but I figure it must be easier for the ATCO's concerned to interpret plain language - but not sure whether "Portsmouth Harbour" passes for a "land feature", and whether "CHERBOURG VRP S" is the correct nomenclature to use?

What do you prefer? Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

chiglet
26th Apr 2004, 06:42
As an ATSA invoved in processing Fpls, "SAM DCT MP" is fine
watp,iktch

eyeinthesky
26th Apr 2004, 09:16
Don't forget also that a VFR plan is really only a guide of your intended route. Because of the need to remain VFR you might not actually make it to the VRP or whatever. In any case, you are likely to be talking to an ATC unit at the points you mention and they will know where you are.

My recommendation is not to get too hung up on specifying every little point on a VFR plan. It does not get transmitted to units on route, so you will have to tell them anyway, and it is really of most use for SAR purposes, when a general search area is OK.

EGTB DCT SAM DCT MP DCT LFRC seems OK to me.
Remember that you are also supposed to put in an EET for the FIR boundary in the Remarks field.

Aussie Andy
26th Apr 2004, 13:35
Thanks guys: I was loathe to put "DCT SAM" in because I will avoid their airspace (ref. another thread about Solent Radar SSR being u/s and could we please steer clear etc.).

But as you are saying that I can simply put "SCT SAM DCT MP" etc. without flying that route exactly, just flying something similar to it, and that this won't apprently cause consternation at Solent when I don't call them en-route, then I think I will amend plan to the simpler version.

Thanks guys,

Andy

eyeinthesky
26th Apr 2004, 14:58
If you are definitely going to avoid the SAM then why not use somewhere like the IW NDB or even an airways reporting point such as KATHY (right underneath the VFR recommended route). Just becasue you're not in the airway doesn't mean the point doesn't exist.

But to be clear: if you put SAM in and then don't call Solent, they will never miss your presence as they don't get the VFR FPL anyway.

Mike Cross
27th Apr 2004, 06:10
Unfortunately the utility of the airways reporting points is lost on the VFR pilot because they don't appear on the ICAO VFR chart.

Mike

FullyFlapped
22nd Jul 2005, 14:08
Just out of interest, do IFR reporting points have any concept of height, altitude or level associated with them ?

FF :ok:

tmmorris
22nd Jul 2005, 14:52
Mike - except a few offshore ones, e.g. NEDUL is there, I think. Presumably they are there precisely so pilots filing cross-channel FPs can use them.

Mind you, if you are using GPS, they are all loaded, usually...

Tim

eyeinthesky
22nd Jul 2005, 21:26
Fully Flapped:

In so far as some IFR reporting points are only on Upper Air Routes (UARs) which are all above FL245, then yes, I suppose they do.