PDA

View Full Version : Dean Cross VOR - Quick Question

EGCC Rwy 24
25th Apr 2004, 18:29
Just back from a weekend in the Lakes. Mrs EGCC very kindly allowed me to wander up the hill to Dean Cross VOR (photos to follow on my site (http://www.reportingpoints.info) shortly). She stayed in the car. On reflection, I should have sent her up there while I stayed in the car - it's quite some hill......

Now, to the point (and I suspect this is a question for those who "have been around a while"):

Why is Dean Cross VOR called Dean Cross, when the actual crossroads of the same name is more than a few miles to the South?

I know that reporting points sometimes get moved and keep the same name (ok they don't any more, but they used to); but I can hardly imagine a VOR suddenly being bodily moved!

Someone must know; there must be a story!

Thanks,

Nick

BALIX
25th Apr 2004, 19:13
Nick

I guess they didn't want to call it Cockermouth ;)

Don't have a clue as to the real answer but is it not also the case with Pole Hill which is, I believe, situated on Heptonstall Moor. Pole Moor is actually 10 miles to the south where the M62 reaches its summit on the Yorks/Lancs border.

Incidentally, the Glasgow VOR used to be situated on Fenwick Moor a few miles south of Glasgow but at least it is on the airfield now which makes a bit more sense.

vintage ATCO
25th Apr 2004, 20:02
Was there a NDB there to begin with, perhaps a bit closer to the real Dean Cross? Then a VOR installed on a different site but keeping the original name??

The VOR at Brookmans Park is not on the same site as the original NDB.

VA

2 sheds
25th Apr 2004, 20:46
I think that Balix probably has the answer. In the case of an en route navaid, all that really matters is that the name is clear and distinctive and pronounceable. Nobody really gives a monkey's where the real Dean Cross is!

dontdoit
25th Apr 2004, 21:40
And just for any of our American cousins reading this, it's "DEAN CROSS" not "DEAN'S CROSS" just like the way it's "BOVINGDON" not f*****g "BOVINGTON"

Dan Winterland
25th Apr 2004, 21:50
Climbed a hill to see a VOR, pictures too. You certainly know how to have a good day out! :rolleyes:

Point Seven
25th Apr 2004, 23:01
Who cares?

P7

2 six 4
26th Apr 2004, 00:00
A great contribution point 7. We are not worthy of your skill in posting humour and knowledge.

Jerricho
26th Apr 2004, 00:58
You'll have to forgive P7. I stole his medication before I left!!! :p

Point Seven
26th Apr 2004, 01:57
2six4

No you're probably not. Don't worry.

Jer

Thanks for sticking up for me mate. Where would I be without you?:p

P7

RRAAMJET
26th Apr 2004, 03:57
Dontdoit:

I'm well aware it's Dean Cross and Bovingdon....never said it any other way on AA's 777's....or when I flew for the RAF, BMA, CX, etc...tw*t.

BTW, I've cringed when I've heard UK crews fluff place names around the world, even when they're printed on a chart. SSM and CGD are just 2 here in the US...

Ah well...:rolleyes: it's great to be perfect...

Scott Voigt
26th Apr 2004, 04:55
RRAAMjet;

But if a true Texan, I bet when you check in you say Murican 51. <BG>...

regards

Scott

EGCC Rwy 24
26th Apr 2004, 07:44
Hum,

First time one of my threads has got close to Jet Blast territory!

I guess in answer to "who cares", I guess the 700 or so contributors to my site that actually care about the history of ATC in the UK perhaps do, not to mention the 500 or so visitors to the site each day.

Hey ho........

vintage ATCO
26th Apr 2004, 08:43
I always liked St Rumble. . . . . ;)

Lon More
26th Apr 2004, 09:13
Ah, St. Rumble the patron saint of fighting; and other famous Sec 20 RPs like Breekon and Woddeley; not to forget Louis.
From memory back in the 1960s and 70's as VORs replaced NDBs they were indeed often quite a few miles apart yet retained the same identity: with todays systems, even if the realignment is only a few clicks a new identifier is almost always given

Jerricho
26th Apr 2004, 11:26
That wasn't sticking up.....that was making excuses!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
28th Apr 2004, 13:00
Lon
they were indeed often quite a few miles apart

I don't call BCN (the VOR) and Brecon (the place) "a few miles apart" -- nearer 20 ! :)

VA
I always liked St Rumble

Is that, for the Londoners, like St Ockwell and St Reatham ? ;)

Fletchers Left Boot
28th Apr 2004, 19:57
We have got St. Ockport at home on Saturday :O

expedite_climb
29th Apr 2004, 09:08
EGCC,

If it makes you feel any better, I wondered the same thing when I drove past it over easter too. Realised there appears to be no road on the map to it !

Kestrel_909
29th Apr 2004, 16:26
Must admit that from listening I used to think BNN was Bovington and even Bobbington, and Deans Cross .

Island of Man is another one :E Oh and not forgetting the odd Wallsie for WAL.

At least they get my local right, Belfast :D