PDA

View Full Version : Aero*$&%£batics!!!!!!!!!!

BRL
24th Apr 2004, 21:38
Went up for my first taste of aeros today courtesy of fellow ppruner Paulo.
It was something else to say the least and certainly the best thing I have done in an aeroplane to date.
Arrived at Goodwood this afternoon and met Paul who took me up for my first go at it. WX was perfect, you couldn't get it better today it was superb. Got myself strapped in, five point harness and got it really tight ready for the off. Once all the checks were done we tried to start up but were not successfull and ended up flooding the engine. Off with the straps and time for a quick visit to the loo and a quickish ciggi. Back in a while later and off we went. Took off on 14 and headed straight accross to Selsey where we were to do our stuff. The climb out was pretty amazing due to the excellent weather and we could see for miles and miles.

Once over the coast Paul started to make a few turns and things and then we done a few rolls and loops and I think a couple of stall-turns. AS I say, first time for me and it was pretty damn good to say the least. I didn't know what to expect to be honest and what followed sort of took my breath away and I was just blown-out by it all. Pretty hard to explain exactly how good it was and how I felt, if you have done aeros then you will know exactly where I am coming from, if you havn't then I seriously reccomend having a go sometime. It is something else I tell you.

Paul let us have a go for a while and was going to let me try a roll but after he showed me what was expected from me I started to feel a bit queesey in the tummy so we called it day and headed back. Felt a bit queesey due to not eating for most of the day hoping I would not feel sick during the aeros but I was told later that you should have something to settle your stomach before you go.

Journey back was easy, nothing about at all and we landed back on 14 as the sun was setting. A fantastic flight and huge thanks to Paul for inviting me along today, nice one. I have put up some pictures from today up on my site. Have a look here PICTURES (http://www.evo.me.uk) and look down for numbers 125_2161 to 125_2585. Here is one or two to begin with.......
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/125_2564.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/125_2585.JPG G-VECG.

Evo
25th Apr 2004, 06:46
Glad you enjoyed it, BRL. Good aeroplane, innit - my favourite. Nice pics too, but why is your website called evo then?? I know i'm a fine PPRuNer and all that, but it's going a bit far to name your website after me... ;)

Once all the checks were done we tried to start up but were not successfull and ended up flooding the engine.

You're not the first :O I'm guessing someone else just flew it? Charlie Golf needs three hands to start at the best of times, and when it's already warm it can be a complete sod.

Felt a bit queesey due to not eating for most of the day hoping I would not feel sick during the aeros but I was told later that you should have something to settle your stomach before you go.

Aeros are much easier on the stomach when it's you flying them, but it's true that it's worth eating something. Nothing too big or lardy though, something like a bagel is ideal. Ham, egg & chips isn't ;)

BRL
25th Apr 2004, 07:24
Hi Evo. Goodwood is a realy nice place, I didn't know so many airline pilots visited there, they must have popped in on their way home or something........ ;)

Seriously, it is a nice place to visit. As for the Robbo, someone had just been up in it so it was already warm hence the difficult start.
Have you ever noticed the wings on the plane when you go over or turn sharp? The skin on them sort of goes all distorted for a second or two...:uhoh: :ooh:

As for the web-site name, that is taken from my nick-name that I have had since primary school....!!!! (cheaper than paulevans.com/org/net etc too....!)

Evo
25th Apr 2004, 07:48
Have you ever noticed the wings on the plane when you go over or turn sharp? The skin on them sort of goes all distorted for a second or two..

I saw it in one of the pictures, never noticed it in flight - but i'm not usually looking at the wings...! :)

greeners
25th Apr 2004, 09:15
BRL

Glad that you enjoyed aeros - I sense another convert...!

It truly was a wonderful day at Goodwood yesterday, and three Extra 300s, a Stearman and a Chippy were also pretty busy on the day.

Lots of smiling faces as the sun started to set - excellent!:D

BRL
25th Apr 2004, 10:16
Agreed :ok:
This was the view from Vectair...............
http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.evans28/goodwoodsunset.jpg

Boing_737
25th Apr 2004, 14:16
I have to say I love aeros as well. I've only been a passenger on aeros trips (air cadets, UAS) and by far the best has been going with the Firebird team (courtesy of their sponsors). Did it twice with them - bloody fantastic, although the last time I was subjected to an outside turn and outside loop:yuk: . The Extra 300 is something else - you should try and blag a ride in one of those.

Need to get those hours up so that I can get a share in an aeros capable plane:D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Apr 2004, 18:25
Good fun innit? What sort of aeroplane were you in? Get your backside strapped into a Chippy, or better yet a Yak 52; you won't regret it.:ok:

SSD

bcfc
25th Apr 2004, 21:03
Hot start troubles...Hmmm. Sounds familiar.

I'm doing the AOPA Aero's course at the moment in a Slingsby Firefly and that's a b***er to start if she's hot. What I don't ponder on too much is if I needed to restart at 3000'?

This weekend we did a few rolls and a few more PFL's :ooh:

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 13:17
The injected Lycoming in the Cap 10 is occasionally a bit cranky to start when hot, but usually starts alright if not primed. As for the engine stopping during an aeros sequence: in theory, I'm told, you can dive to 150 knots, set the throttle half open, set the mixture to rich, then crank the starter whilst rolling hard to port but I have not tried this...

Welcome to the upside down club BRL. As I've said before, if God hadn't wanted aeroplanes to go upside down, he'd have made them helicopters.

BRL
26th Apr 2004, 15:42
Hi there. The aeroplane was a Robin 2260 I think. Loads of room inside I thought and very comfortable indeed.

I remember reading ages ago a great piece by Stick' who wrote about the engine stopping during a display and he managed to get it going again in the air similar to like what is written above. If I can I will have a search because it was pretty good to read. :ok:

Regarding getting strapped into a Yak or something like that well if anyone wants some additional talking ballast along with them one day then I am available anytime..!!! :D

Evo
26th Apr 2004, 16:28
Close; -CG is a Robin 2160i; the 'i' having something to do with why it is so hard to start when warm!

paulo
26th Apr 2004, 21:17
Well, have to say, BRL was a great passenger. There's nothing like seeing the expression on someone's face after the first figure! Now I did try and encourage the man to take a few piccies of himself, but hey... :)

In the end, it was standard cure for any stomach wobbles - you fly! BRL took us neatly down to right base before I started getting envious and decided I wanted to fly it again. :p

[Evo: Ever noticed how Robins, well 2160 at least, you can almost fly onto the runway? It's quite a weird 'flat flare', nearly a three pointer to grease it on. Doing any kind of PA28 style nose up malarky just results in a stall-THUMP! landing]

stiknruda
26th Apr 2004, 22:14
Jeez BRL - I'd forgotten about that, it was April/May last year and was at a competition at Sandtoft.

Hundreds of years ago, I'd read about fishtailing (lots of energetic rudder) but of course today's point made by FNG about rolling counter to engine direction made EVEN more sense....dhoh!

V pleased that you had a go, even more pleased that you enjoyed it. As for feeling a little queasy, that is perfectly normal initially, even these days with others doing the flying I can become uncomfortable :yuk:

The secret is gauging when you and/or pax have had enough, not having been to Hogwarts, I'm not clever enough to know so I either leave them gagging (for more) or gulping!

tKf and formationfoto being the most recent exceptions (I could have danced all day, I could have danced all night......!)

Stik

Evo
27th Apr 2004, 09:20
paulo - I know what you mean about the landing, although I find the 2160 the easiest aeroplane to land of any that I have flown. Don't think i've ever done a shocker in it. I always found flapless landings in the PA-28 easy, so obviously that kind of landing attitude works for me.

I know I keep saying it, but I think the 2160 is a great aeroplane (even if a little extra power would be nice). That probably gets a chuckle from people used to Yaks and Extras, but it's like getting in to an Elise when you've been driving a Vectra. Sure, a 911 will leave you standing, but it's still fantastic fun :ok:

paulo
27th Apr 2004, 09:52
I have to agree - I've flown an Extra, a Pitts and a Harvard. The 2160 is a great little package. No vices, comfy & smart, 'helicopter-like' views.

So we just need to pester Apex for a 260Hp version :ok:

shortstripper
28th Apr 2004, 08:21
So that was YOU! lol

My strip is in two piccies, but it's not very defined. See the buildings in these pics

125 2566 ... mid wing
125 2567 ... trailing edge

The strip is just left of each!

Big enough clue for you EVO?

SS

Evo
28th Apr 2004, 17:38
Big enough clue for you EVO?

Hell no. You could probably put up a big cartoon-style arrow on your farm and i'd still miss it... :O

MayorQuimby
28th Apr 2004, 21:09
Hi Paulo,

Quick question after looking at the photo of the Robin on the ground: what do you use to lock the controls? It's not the seat-belt by any chance, is it? ;)

MQ.

paulo
28th Apr 2004, 21:24
MQ - Errrr, well if I had locked the controls then yes, seatbelt and/or harness. A bit of an oops on my part, but then again the weather was very forgiving last weekend.

I'm very curious to know why you ask - I've looked at the photo again - what are you seeing that I'm not? (or are you just commenting on the position of ailerons?) :confused:

MayorQuimby
29th Apr 2004, 11:38
Yes, it was the position of the ailerons that prompted the question, but I can see now that I was wrong, as the elevator looks to be roughly neutral rather than the up position I'd expect if you'd used the harness. Serves me right for being smart :O

On the 2160 I fly, the harness is used to lock the controls too. Always wondered what the 'proper' way was, but when I saw your picture it made me realise, maybe using the harness is the standard way on the robin!

Regards,
MQ.

Cruise Alt
3rd May 2004, 13:04
A tip that I found works starting the 2160i when hot.

Before Start

Mix - Full Rich
TTL - Full Open

Wait about 5 - 10secs. You sometimes hear the fuel pressure in the pipes released.

Mix - ICO
TTL - Half open

Now start. Once the engine catches release the key

Mix - Full Rich
TTL - Idle - you have to be quite quick with this or the engine roars away a little.

Give the engine up to 30 secs to start - it can sometimes take a little while. If you abandon the start or it doesnt work make sure you release the pressure again as above first.

It has never failed for me in 800 hours on type.

As for starting at 3000 feet. No problem, the windmilling combined with a quick turn of the key works a treat.