PDA

View Full Version : Minumum Rate of decend

HighSpeedTape
24th Apr 2004, 10:01
Is there a minimum rate of dencend within the terminal area?

Does some one know the exact figure and tell me in which manual i can obtain this from

Human Factor
24th Apr 2004, 10:07
500 feet per minute, but can't remember where it's written. Presumably in the AIP somewhere.

eyeinthesky
24th Apr 2004, 11:49
1) It's or DESCEND or DESCENT, not decend or decent.

2) It's specified in the AIP GEN section as 500fpm. However, threads here have also pointed out that in the interest of CDA operations at the London airports is is OK to have a RoD of less than 500fpm once you have left the terminal holding fix in order to achieve CDA profiles.

Charlie Fox
24th Apr 2004, 12:31
To quote from the Air Pilot.
"In order to ensure that controllers can accurately predict flight profiles to maintain standard vertical separation between a/c, pilots of a/c commencing a climb or descent in accordance with an ATC Clearance should inform the controller if they anticipate that their rate of climb or descent during the level change will be less than 500ft/min, or if at any time during such a climb or descent their vertical speed is, in fact less than 500ft/min".

This requirement applies to both the en-route phase of flight & to terminal holding above the Transition Altitude.

NOTE This is not a prohibition on the use of rates of climb or descent of less than 500ft/min where necessary to comply with other operating requirements.

PPRuNe Radar
26th Apr 2004, 17:41
:hmm:

1) It's or DESCEND or DESCENT, not decend or decent.

English is probably not the posters first language. How good is your Bahasa Malaysian ?? Or Mandarin or Tamil ??

HighSpeedTape
27th Apr 2004, 09:55
Oops...i guess i was really sleepy when i wrote that !.....
Thanks for understanding what i said anyway ....

eyeinthesky
27th Apr 2004, 13:50
Sorry.

I didn't mean to target it directly at HST. I'm just amazed/irked by the number of times I see words which are in common use in aviation (such as descent) being constantly misspelt on an aviation forum. Of course my Malaysian is a little limited!;)

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
27th Apr 2004, 23:01
In my part of the world, you are expected to climb or descend at the greater of optimum rate or 500fpm until 1000ft to go, then at 500fpm. As with anything you should advise when unable to comply. Also this requirement can be waived on request.