PDA

View Full Version : Performance Engineering - Engine Out SDP's

TopperHarley
24th Apr 2004, 06:14
Hi Folks,

Im after a resource that might be able to help me understand the nuts and bolts of what a performance engineer does to work out engine out procedures for departing aircraft.

Ideally, Id like to me able to try and construct my own for a light twin that has modest OEI performance, rather than relying on 'eyeballing' an escape route should the unthinkable occur shortly after tkof.

Any detailed info would be most appriecated !

Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Apr 2004, 08:20
The standard working references over here are the old BCARs K and D (light and heavy aircraft respectively). Although they've been replaced by parts 23 and 25, they do contain a huge amount of explanatory material that is missing in the newer FAR and JAR standards.

For a light twin, Section K will be the appropriate book.

G

Centaurus
24th Apr 2004, 12:06
The calculations are probably the easiest part. Your major problem is to find the appropriate maps and other charts which depict the position of all the obstacles in the projected flight path up to the MSA, where you can in theory then return for an instrument approach procedure. This will mean that you need to check obstacles possibly out to 20 miles surrounding the airport depending on obvious safe flight directions such as over water and so on. You have a time consuming task on your hands.