PDA

View Full Version : Flying before license has arrived?

Aerofoil
23rd Apr 2004, 18:16
Hi

I am about to take my skills test for my PPL and i was wondering something...
Once i have done my skills test and i am waiting for the license to come through from the CAA. Will i be able to take a friend for a flight at the school at which i trained?
Or do i have to actually have the license in my hand from the CAA?

The reason i am thinking that this may be possible is that the school will have my file and therefore all of the proof that i have completed the PPL course and that i am just waiting for the physical license to reach me.

Thanks in advance

Dave

formationfoto
23rd Apr 2004, 19:01
Sorry Dave
You need to have the piece of paper in your hand. Until the licence is issued it is not issued so you don't know that you have a licence until you get it.

Hansard
23rd Apr 2004, 19:37
As formationfoto said, no passengers until you have the bit of paper and many schools will charge you dual rates until that day because you're still flying under supervision. It's not a bad thing to savour the pleasure of flying on your own for a while and to build up experience/confidence before taking on the distractions/added pressure of non-pilot passengers.

Fly Stimulator
23rd Apr 2004, 20:00
A good thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104169) from last year on the subject of how soon to take passengers.

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Apr 2004, 20:55
Of course no good as not invented 'over here' but in the US you get a slip from the examiner which is valid until the card comes from the Feds.

Now why can we not have that over here!?!

Guess I already answered it!

Good luck with the final stages.

FD

AppleMacster
23rd Apr 2004, 22:51
I had to wait ages for my licence to arrive because of a glitch in the medical (red tape, rather than anything physical:*). As far as I remember, the club charged me the solo rate in the interregnum. Technically, you still have to be signed out by an instructor, so some clubs will take the opportunity to charge the dual rate, I suppose. It's a very strange legality, one which I think is peculiar to the UK. :rolleyes:

AppleMacster

BEagle
24th Apr 2004, 06:47
The CAA is doing all it can to reduce the turn round time for licences. The trouble is, over 60% of licence applications are rejected for admin reasons.

FEs who conduct the PPL Skill Test should be more responsible for checking the application. applicants should have their log books kept up to date. Ideally, after the PPL SkillTest, the FE should merely need to hand over the PPL Skill Test form, double check the application checklist and the applicant should then parcel everything up and send it off to the CAA by Recorded Delivery.

The NPPL P&SC suggested a 'pink slip' 28 day temporary licence to be issued by NPLG or BMAA; however, NPPL turn round time is now so short that there's no need.

WestWind1950
24th Apr 2004, 09:19
It's a very strange legality, one which I think is peculiar to the UK.

nope... same in Germany.

You can only fly in the mean time like a student... write off from an instructor, no pax. Use the time to just "be on your own"...

Westy

troddenmasses
24th Apr 2004, 10:20
I did my licence just as they were changing from CAA to JAA, and therefore it took rather a long while to have it issued (about 16 weeks!). The club decided that they would be charging me full, dual rate so I decided that if I was going to be paying for an instructor, they would damn well be sat next to me teaching me something. By the time I had the piece of paper in my hands, I had completed my night rating, and all of the training for my IMC. Not an ideal situation, but there you go.

BoeingMEL
25th Apr 2004, 18:34
Well done !! Always great news to hear of another success! bm

Aerofoil
25th Apr 2004, 20:03
Thanks BM

Im going in to my flying school tomorrow to fill out the paperwork etc with an instructor so that i can send it straight off. I am starting my ATPL ground school full time on the 10th May so i am not hanging my hopes on getting the license issued before then.

Dave

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 13:43
16 weeks is unlucky. Mine came after a week or so, at the time of the CAA/JAA transition. I rushed off to the airfield and flew on the day it arrived.

englishal
26th Apr 2004, 16:24
The CAA is doing all it can to reduce the turn round time for licences. The trouble is, over 60% of licence applications are rejected for admin reasons.
They may well be doing all they can. But its a pretty bad show when one has to wait 4 months, and after paying 100andsomething quid.

I suppose they have to wait for a few rain forests to be chopped down, so they can issue all that unnescessary paperwork. Myabe we should ask Mr Blunkett if we could include our licence details on our ID cards when we get issued them....;)

EA