PDA

View Full Version : FI before CPL??

Foz2
22nd Apr 2004, 15:15
FI befor CPL???

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible to do a FI(R) before you do your CPL. I know you cant get paid without a CPL but that's not a problem. Do you think a flying school would employ me to instruct for free at the weekends or whenever?

I am doing my ATPL's at the moment and I think it would be a great way get my hours up. I know everyone hates hour building instructors, but that is the fault of the system, not of the instructors.

What does anyone think about this?

Cheers

Foz

Evo
22nd Apr 2004, 15:18
Yes, you can do it - but it isn't going to help you hours build for the CPL because the hours requirement for PPL/FI(R) is greater than for CPL/FI(R). You'll also need to have passed the CPL exams, even if you haven't actually taken a CPL(A) skills test.

Vedeneyev
22nd Apr 2004, 16:04
And don't expect to be the toast of your fellow FI's who need the salary and wages in general to be kept as high as possible... I don't know what your day job is but how would you feel if someone started offering your services for free at the weekends? I know there's a demand and supply argument but you will be unpopular treating the career they've risked everything for as a weekend hobby....

A more pragmatic solution would be to buy your own esoteric public cat plane and offer conversion type training or something without the need for an AOC or an approved training organisation...

Foz2
22nd Apr 2004, 16:23
Thats a fair point, but it wouldnt be a hobby for me as I would be building hours to aid my career. During the day I am studying for ATPLs.

Re buying a plane - I dont have a spare £50,000 in my account, its all going on my training!! I just think the amount you have to spend in order to be an instructor is totally ridiculous when you look at their earnings at the end of it. Its all out of proportion.

Foz