PDA

View Full Version : Forum drinks/gathering in MAY anyone?

BRL
22nd Apr 2004, 14:46
About time we had a drink somewhere as the last private flying bash was ages ago. I suggest sometime in May. You let us know where and when and we can get together for a few drinks.

Over to you........ :)

DRJAD
22nd Apr 2004, 14:53
Sounds like a nice idea BRL, but I'm afraid that so far as I am concerned May is rather booked up.

I'd look forward to trying to attend one of these, as I haven't been able to get to one before, but the amount of notice is a problem. :sad:

BRL
22nd Apr 2004, 15:03
That's a shame. Not all is lost though. We are looking at doing at least one a month and that will include picnics/fly-ins, drinks or whatever you(ppruners) would like to do. Shuttleworth collection, Duxford is a must for a bash during the summer and I will try and widen the scope of these gatherings as much as I can taking in air shows, museums, fly-ins all over the place. I hope this summer will be busier regarding ppruners getting together this season so if anyone has any ideas at all then please feel free to post details. :)

Lost_luggage34
22nd Apr 2004, 15:05
I fully suppoprt your idea BRL.

Not that I have much to add, but would happily attend.

Evo
22nd Apr 2004, 15:23
Yes - how about Brighton? Nice seaside town, easy to get to from London... and other places :) :)

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2004, 15:55
You arrange it.... and if I've finished my FIC, but not found a job yet, I'll be there :ok:

FFF
---------------

Lost_luggage34
22nd Apr 2004, 15:57
There are other seaside towns - without the London weighting !

Whirlybird
22nd Apr 2004, 16:00
I suggest Manchester area. Much nearer the middle of the country, so more of us could get there. :ok:

In Altissimus
22nd Apr 2004, 16:09
Umm - isn't Welshpool nearer the middle of your country Whirly:D

Classic
22nd Apr 2004, 21:05
I must get some hours in now the weather's picked up. Central or South England are good for me (even Welshpool!) - preferably last week in May. :cool:

Jinkster
22nd Apr 2004, 21:46
I suggest east midland (EGNX) - very middle of the country!

Hersham Boy
23rd Apr 2004, 08:35
Sounds good to me... assuming wx and club a/c availability, I'll skirt my way round any of the Class A and D in the South-East!

Or beers at the OBOE...

Hersh

Tall_guy_in_a_152
23rd Apr 2004, 10:36
BRL
How about resurrecting your Hendon bash idea from earlier in the year? There was plenty of interest but the thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113312) died off with nothing firm arranged (or did you all have a great day out without me?). I haven't been there since a school trip in the late 70's.

Could meet at the museum (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/hendon/index.cfm) mid morning, retire to a local pub for a late lunch / early dinner, then head into town for a few more drinks. Mind you, based on past experience, once we settle into a pub there will be no shifting us.

Cannot do w/e of 22/23 May. Others OK.

TG

G SXTY
23rd Apr 2004, 14:07
The OBoE is good with me, or that place we got chucked out of last time.

Not sure all of us would get served though . . . :}

BRL
23rd Apr 2004, 15:21
Ok, that is not a bad idea Tall Fella. Morning/daytime at Hendon then meet up in afternoon at the pub in London, the o.b.o.e or the founders. Could even meet somewhere else for a change if Smurph gets involved as he knows some ace little pubs around London.

At the same time, someone could possibly sort out a midlands/northern bash too. Birmingham seems like a good, central place to start off with so if someone would like to start a thread arranging that then go-ahead.

Meanwhile, suggestions for a fly-in around the middle of June, maybe another picnic thing at say, Duxford or Shuttlworth, LowNSlow's fly-in in first weekend of July, possible drinks somewhere at the end of July and a fly-in sometime in August, possibly France or Ireland for a change.

Anyone else care to come up with suggestions then please feel free to post your ideas here.

FNG
23rd Apr 2004, 15:34
Is the OBOE the Old Bank of England on Fleet Street? That's a stone's throw from my Chambers, although in my opinion the best pub in the area is the Seven Stars on Carey Street (any pub with a landlady called Roxy Beaujolais has got to be worth a visit, even if it is infested by lawyers). I would happily join a midweek evening booze-up for London area pprivate fflying ppruners. Weekends are difficult for me as I am either flying or in Norfolk (or flying in Norfolk).

Hersham Boy
23rd Apr 2004, 15:49
If you're after 'ace little pubs', then Clerkenwell is the place to see and be seen...

The Jerusalem Tavern - St Peters Ales on tap/in bottle, old as the hills... but we'd probably fill it!

The Dovetail - Belgian place with food and beer to match... up by St John's Sq...

Al's - great pub with lots of outside space or watching the... well... girls. Exmouth Market.

Cafe Kick - also Exmouth Market. Table Footie and beer. Mmmmmm.

Clerkenwell House - lots of pool tables and a rather 70s design. used to have a mural including an image of an old C172, but they redecorated. Off Clerkenwell Road.

The Griffin, Clerkenwell Road. Less said the better...

Hersh

Penguinetta
25th Apr 2004, 13:01
I have drawn smurph 's attention to the people out there who need him. Pointed out that he owes it to you to guide you pub-wards.

The marathon-running Penguina is far too clean-limbed and healthy-living for this sort of thing these days, but I'll be there - I'll just need lots of beer to keep me sweet. :E

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 09:10
Hersh...The Griffin? You are a bad, bad boy.

knobbygb
26th Apr 2004, 09:19
Go on Whirly, since you mentioned Manchester, I reckon you should organise a drinks bash. I have a few ideas for good pubs etc. but you should start a thread - your name carries more credibility!

I've wimped out of the last couple of fly-in's due to lack of cash, but I reckon I could stretch to a few pints in Manc. - perhaps a curry in Rusholme afterwards?

Hersham Boy
26th Apr 2004, 12:39
FNG - of course, I've never been in... errr....

Kolibear
30th Apr 2004, 14:21
Aerofair is in May, so why not arrange to meet up there?

MikeJeff
30th Apr 2004, 14:24
I think Brighton is a marvellous idea!!

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2004, 15:44
knobby,

You organise it...and I'll come. Post it on the bashes forum too though; there's a fair few regular Man-bash goers there. :ok: