PDA

View Full Version : Bristol ATC - a big thank you

Northern Highflyer
22nd Apr 2004, 10:41
I would just like to place on record my sincere thanks and appreciation to the guys and girls who work in Bristol Tower.

I have just completed my Module 1 studies for my ATPL exams. It was three weeks of constant study and hard work. However a friend and I managed to squeeze in a short break on the Saturday morning to visit Bristol Tower.

As future commercial pilots (hopefully) we wanted to gain an insight into what happens with the other half of the team. Arranging the visit was straightforward and on the day we were warmly welcomed and taken to the top of the tower. Here we sat, observing the movements, looking over the equipment and asking plenty of questions. Then off downstairs to watch the approach radar and again ask lots of questions.

The controllers were more than happy to answer all our questions, explain what was happening on the screens and covering things in great detail. A special thanks to IB, who managed to answer all our questions while at the same time supervising a trainee.

The visit has given me a greater insight into what happens on "the other side" and the problems you guys/girls encounter, and I hope that this will help to make me a more considerate and competent pilot in the future.

I have seen threads which talk of pilots / ATCO's disliking each other, but I can only express my admiration of the job you do.

Thanks to all at Bristol Tower that Saturday morning for having the time and patience to show us round, explain things, and answer our many questions. Even though we must have been a nuisance when you were busy you made us feel very welcome and weren't made to feel like we were in the way or had to leave after ten minutes. In fact we had been there over two hours when we finally (and reluctantly) dragged ourselves away.

Thanks again Bristol.

NHF :ok:

ATCO1987
22nd Apr 2004, 13:45
Have to back you up on this one, Ive visited a couple of times, and they are all always very friendly and happy to answer questions.
Dan.