PDA

View Full Version : Flying To Manchester - Options?

Dimbleby
21st Apr 2004, 10:04
I am flying next month into Manchester for a city centre meeting, but dont fancy the large quote I have received for landing, handling and parking at Man International. Do I have any options???

S-Works
21st Apr 2004, 10:16
Barton, I have always recieved a warm welcome and they are not far away from the centre.

cessna l plate
21st Apr 2004, 17:19
Just as a matter of interest, just how high is the quote from the Northwests best loved operator???

knobbygb
21st Apr 2004, 19:22
Yep, Barton is much nearer the city centre than EGCC, costs about a fiver to land and you get a voucher for a free cuppa tea too - try getting THAT sort of service from the other place! Grass runways are short but manageable, if a little bumpy (2 landings for the price of one). About 5 miles from the city centre. Think there's a bus route right outside, but if you can affort to fly over for a meeting, guess a taxi wont be a problem.

I'd be keen to know how much dosh they wanted at MAN too - would life to go in there one day - just to say I've been to my 'local' airport. I belive it's the handling that costs most - not the actual landing fee. Have you contacted the flying school for a quote?

Timothy
21st Apr 2004, 19:47
...provided you fly a single :(

Timothy

Sir George Cayley
21st Apr 2004, 22:04
Dimberley

Which HA did you contact at MAN for handling?

NEA are the best but start at about £80 (thats about 300 Euro)

2 new players to consider:-

Manchester Handling (not the old one thats now aviance) and
Lloyd Executive - sorry havent got their numbers to hand.

Stay away from Servisair Globe, Ringway, aviance, Groundstar and the like as they are not set up for light a/c.

Airport runway fees start at around £7 / half metric tonne (thats about 1500 Euro)

You coud always contact the flying school MSF and arrange to see them about an "IMC Rating" nudge nudge wink wink.

Barton is good but has no on site Special Branch and is VFR only.

Have a good flight

Sir George Cayley

formationfoto
22nd Apr 2004, 08:02
Dimbleby

Barton, as already suggested, is the obvious choice but it rather depends on what you are flying. I would be cautious about putting a Mooney down there for instance.

Other options (depending on where you need to end up) are Liverpool and Blackpool. Both will require additional travel I am afraid. Beyond that you are a little restricted. There was a time when Woodfrod was available but sadly no longer.

dublinpilot
22nd Apr 2004, 12:49
Sir George,

Not sure where you are getting your exchange rate from, but £80stg is nowhere near 300euro.

120 euro would be a better estimate.

dp

Sir George Cayley
23rd Apr 2004, 15:12
Curses! Dublinpilot you spotted my get rich quick and fleece Johnny Foriegner on the exchange rate ploy.

You also appear to have missed the joke.

Turn to "Sense of Humour Failure after landing" on your checklist

Sir George Cayley

dublinpilot
24th Apr 2004, 15:36
Sir George,

Yes, I have missed the joke. Having re-read the thread, I'm still missing the joke!:O

Care to explain it?:hmm:

dp

Sir George Cayley
24th Apr 2004, 21:32
The use of exageration to point out a fact

eg the charges at Manchester from the Airport plc are in fact quite modest for someone able to operate their own a/c on a route served by several airlines offering discounted airfares.

This compares with the high costs charged for sometimes poor service offered by a minority of HA's

By obviously inflating the exchange rate a humourous juxtaposition was rendered beteween the reality of the £sterling figures quoted accurately and the ludicrously inflated conversion to the Euro. (I refrained from using euros the greek slang for piss)

The reader was then prompted to contemplate all the possible scenarios currently being debated in the press about inflationary pressures on UK prices once Gordon Browns convergence criteria are met and the UK joins the rest of Erope with a common currency.

This mirth making notion is exemplified in the hyperbole to which Ipreviously referred.

Hope this helps allow a ghost of a smile to cross your lips.

Failte

Sir George Cayley

Dimbleby
26th Apr 2004, 12:12
Bose X, Cessna, Sir George et al.

Yes the quote I received was from NEA and was if I recall correctly, about £120.00 +,+,+. The snag was/is I will be flying a twin, coming in from abroad and probably requiring IFR, so Barton looks out. Anyways the quote went straight to the bin. All kinds of add ons, time of day,parking,security fee!!! It looks like I will pop over to Blckpool - quoted about £60.00.

Thanks too all for the advice.

Dimbleby.

Leezyjet
26th Apr 2004, 13:35
How about LBA ???.

Taxi to Leeds train station is about £11. Train to Manchester takes about 1 hour and isn't too expensive and they run fairly frequently.

Multiflight provide handling facilities - www.multiflight.com

Just a thought.

:)