PDA

View Full Version : Going Foreign-Help?

Flyboynick
20th Apr 2004, 18:15
I'm taking the group aircraft over to France in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if to comply with the Air Navigation Order Schedule 11 I must take the originals of the Certificate of registration, certificate of airworthiness and the radio licence or will copies suffice.
Last time I went over the channel was about 10 years ago in a PFA aircraft and we did take copies but things are much stricter nowadays.
Has anybody had any trouble with the French authorities regarding this.

Cheers

Nick

S-Works
20th Apr 2004, 18:29
Never been asked for anything by the French. Not even a passport. In fact I have never been asked for anything in any of the European countries visited so far. I guess some of the "newer" EEC countries may be a little hottet on paperwork.

We go to France most weekends during the "season" for fresh supplies of cheese and lobster!

I always carry a copy of the relevant documents just in case.

IO540
20th Apr 2004, 18:37
I've never had anything, not even a passport, looked at in France or Spain, but I carry everything incl the VAT invoice in the boot. Is there a requirement to carry originals?? I don't think so.

Fly Stimulator
20th Apr 2004, 18:50
Never been asked for anything by the French.

Exactly what I said in a thread when this came up about a year ago.

Since then I've been thoroughly checked twice in France. The first time was in an N-reg Cirrus in Carcassone. This was while US-French tension was fairly high so I wasn't entirely surprised, but the officials wanted to see everything, especially VAT paperwork. That kept us going for a while since the aircraft is of course owned by a US trust, had had VAT paid in The Netherlands and was based in the UK.

The second time was more of a surprise. I was about to depart from the charming and somewhat sleepy airfield at Arras first thing on a Sunday morning in my G-reg microlight when three Douaniers emerged from behind the hanger and asked for all of the aircraft's and my own documents. Except VAT - the famous "2Donkeys Conjecture" on this point remains valid as far as I know.

In short, I'd take the original paperwork, since it removes one more excuse to delay you if you happen upon a real jobsworth.

I've only been checked twice in about 30 visits to France over the last couple of years, but if I hadn't had everything they wanted each time it could have thoroughly spoilt my day.

Cathar
20th Apr 2004, 19:05
Is there a requirement to carry originals?? I don't think so.

The ANO requires that certain documents must be carried. I believe that the only reasonable interpretation of that requirement is that the original documents, and not copies, must be carried.

S-Works
20th Apr 2004, 19:31
Dont think so. CAA told me to copy and laminate which I do in my own aircraft. In the aircraft I rent I have never been given the originals.

As long as you can provide the information then I don't see why a copy isn't good enough?

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
20th Apr 2004, 19:42
I was ramp-checked at Le Touquet last year by a single French ’air police’ officer. All the paperwork carried for a G Reg. PFA Permit aircraft were copies, including insurance, radio licence etc.

I did have my licence and medical with me (originals).

Some of my stuff, Certificate of Validity etc., was out of date, as I didn't have copies of the latest ones with me. The guy was happy enough with what I had and seemed pleased to find someone who tried to speak to him in French, even if it was very basic French.

UL730
20th Apr 2004, 20:13
Suggest purchase or sight of April 2004 issue of Pilot magazine. Good article called Paperchase - pages 44 to 49. Deals with all you will need to know regarding documents.

Suggest a review of this URL (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_uk.asp?m=14)

Le bon voyage et le vol sūr :ok:

TonyR
20th Apr 2004, 20:33
Read "Paperchase" in pilot and do take the originals

Tony R

bluskis
20th Apr 2004, 20:53
Definitely take originals, and don't forget your copy of the interception signals, it may save being shot down!

Flyboynick
20th Apr 2004, 21:57
Thanks for all that everybody. I think I'll err on the side of caution and try and root out those originals. I did read the Pilot article but nothing definate in there about copies or originals.

Nick

bpilatus
21st Apr 2004, 11:30
I fly outside UK a lot.

Checklist item:
Original of documents carried: check
Intercption proc: check
VAT papers: check

I am happy when I can say only check to all these above things.