PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it all again?

helispeed99
20th Apr 2004, 13:17
A general question for all you ATCOs, I recently spoke to a very friendly chappy from WD who renewed my interest in ATC, I'm a blender pilot at the moment but I'm seriously considering a change. So the questions are this.. Do you enjoy your work? What are the hours/pay/politics like? and what are the promotion oppurtunities like? As i'm still pretty young!

Really will appreciate the feed back, so thank you in advance!:ok:

Oh and anyone who knows the company call sign probably best not to tell the guys at work i'm looking elsewhwere, cheers!;)

FWA NATCA
20th Apr 2004, 14:09
Note this is for comparison purposes to my brothers in the UK.

Yes, I throughly enjoy being a Air Traffic Controller and without a doubt I would do it again. Our jobs are extremely challenging, fast paced, no two days are alike, and just about every day you will encounter a new situation that will draw on your experience, and knowledge. Sequencing military fighters, commercial airlines, and commuters behind and with small slow flying aircraft is what makes my job both interesting and challenging, then throw in the occasional emergency to spice things up a notch.

Pay - In the US, it ranges from $47K to almost $100K. Your pay is based upon the complexity rating, and traffic denisty of the facility that you work at.

Hours - I work at a 24 hour facility, my first two days are 1345 - 2145, the next two are 0600 - 1400, and my last day can be another day shift or a midnight shift.

Promotion Potential - It varies, at this time, the FAA is moving very few if any controllers around. Other years you can move up into buiser more complex facilities with realitive ease.

Politics - Internally it varies with facility, but it is your choice to get caught up in it. Externally, the politics again varies with who ever is in office, and when it comes to dealing with politicians you can't afford to not become involved.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Barnaby the Bear
20th Apr 2004, 15:23
Can't think of anything else I would rather be doing? :} (Work wise that is);)

flower
20th Apr 2004, 16:00
In-spite of the moans and groans you may hear from some of us here on the forums I love the work I do.
I don't wake up in the morning and think hell I have to go to work.
Yes I love my time off more but I can genuinely say there is no other profession I would wish to do.
As has already been said no two days are ever alike, the pay well yes of course we would like more but it is never the less a good deal and lots of leave to boot.
I regard myself as extremely lucky in doing a job I enjoy.

If only there were no politics to contend with

chiglet
20th Apr 2004, 18:21
I'm [only] an Assistant, and have been since Pontious was aTrainee, never mind a Pilate:{
Seriously, I joind from the RAF in 1969:D and have 18 months to go.....:ouch: and have enjoyed every bit of it:ok: :ok:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

bagpuss lives
20th Apr 2004, 19:14
In short and in all ways - absolutely :D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Apr 2004, 19:56
I wanted to be a Heathrow ATCO when I was about 12... By devious means I managed it and I enjoyed every single nanosecond of my job. I've been retired 17 months and not a day goes by without I wish I was back behind the radar. Problem is, I also love being at home too much!

I wouldn't hesitate - I WOULD do it all over again.

Loki
20th Apr 2004, 21:04
I would hesitate, but I`d still do it again....just a bit differently here and there.

Point Seven
20th Apr 2004, 22:44
Best job in the world, best people.

It really is that simple.

P7

GT3
20th Apr 2004, 23:08
ditto on P7

easy life, well work that is ;)

Jerricho
20th Apr 2004, 23:08
Has to be simple P7. Otherwise you and I couldn't do it! ;)

In answer to the question, bloody great job, and I definately would do it all again (infact, I am kind of doing it again!)

Spuds McKenzie
21st Apr 2004, 04:02
I can only reiterate:

The best job there is.

:ok:

Lon More
21st Apr 2004, 04:44
Drifted in as an ATCA as the pilot market was fluctuating in the late 60's.
Worked at LATCC, Gatwick (noise monitoring - bags of overtime and as many Hillman Huskies to crash as you wanted) and then to Sopley.
Went to Eurocontrol in 1970 and am about to retire at 55

Met some great people, had some great times,never felt that I was doing something useless, also never went to work not looking forward to it until I became a Supervisor

Lon More; Here before Pontius was a pilot or Mortus was a Rigger

10 DME ARC
21st Apr 2004, 07:38
Sure beats working for a living!!:)

BEXIL160
21st Apr 2004, 13:19
Do it all again.. yes, no hesitation.

"Do a job you love, and you'll never work again".

My dear old dad told me that. Don't know where he got it from, but it's true for me.

Rgds BEX

av8boy
21st Apr 2004, 15:11
Without a bit of hesitation.

Dave

Chilli Monster
21st Apr 2004, 15:16
Maybe slightly differently how I got into it (I joined the military as an assistant first) but other than that - yes. Best job in the world, not just for the task itself but also the flying 'fringe benefits' I've got from being involved in it.

av8boy
21st Apr 2004, 15:43
Spoken like a guy who is, at this moment, availing himself of the service, rather than providing it! :D

Having fun in the sun, Chilli? Hope so!

Dave

flower
21st Apr 2004, 16:43
A worldwide study of professions and job satisfaction was compiled some time back in the mid Nineties.
That survey showed that ATCOs had the highest job satisfaction out of all trades and professions included in the survey.
If the rest of our ATC colleagues think the way those of us here do, that study would still seem to stand.

Scott Voigt
23rd Apr 2004, 03:11
What Mike said....

The one thing that I would add though is that a senior (old) controller at the busiest facilities can now top out (base rate) at about $140,000 now...

regards

Scott

forevertraining
23rd Apr 2004, 22:18
i am currently a year and a half into the training to be a NATS ATCO previously i was an electrician, and if you were not sure before starting within days you will know that its the best choice you ever could make.

Just cant wait to qualify, couldn't think of a better job.:D

JustaFew
23rd Apr 2004, 22:40
All the usual words; challenging, rewarding, job satisfaction.
Be under no illusion, however, that the path to such happiness is long, alot of hardwork is required which means a temporary loss of leisure time and possibly friends. However, I've succeeded, thousands before me have succeeded and many more will make it too. If you want to achieve, you will. Good luck if you apply, it is worth it it the end.

AlphaSierra
26th Apr 2004, 12:54
Aw,

Now if I fail selection I'm gonna be really disappointed!

:)

DirtyPierre
26th Apr 2004, 22:28
For an Aussie ATC working in OZ (still), and have been with Airservices Australia (and its previous incantations) for 21 years,
I can say without a doubt that I've always been very happy as an ATC.

Would I do it again....yes.

helispeed99
28th Apr 2004, 22:51
:D A big thank you for all the replies.

I've got to laugh really, it can easily cost you £30k+ to get a ticket to drive blenders, but go on the Rotorheads forum and pose the same question I guarantee a mostly bitter response! Where as pose the same question here and you all seem far too keen to come to work! What makes me think I chose the wrong job:( Know anywhere in need of a second rate pilot having a mid-life crisis early?:}

Thanks again all, please keep them coming while I write an application form!

av8boy
29th Apr 2004, 05:45
Heli-

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I would make note of the obvious fact that this ain't an easy job... What's more, there's a hellofalotta pain getting to the point where you can do it well. Add to that the reality that many are called but few are chosen...

On the other hand, given the fact that PPRuNe is an anonymous venue, I can say something which is perhaps a little bit warm and fuzzy for everyday ATC fare: we get to help people every day, and that's pretty damned satisfying. Getting to a professional level is hard, and the weeding is intense. But the reward is quite cool--

I've been at this for 22 years, and I still see something new every day. Moreover, I constantly strive to do a better job because I WANT TO. We provide a service, and there's something about doing it well that just gets me up and off to work in the morning. Honestly, if I couldn't do it well, I wouldn't bother to go.

I sincerely hope you look into this.

Dave

Spuds McKenzie
29th Apr 2004, 07:06
av8boy,

Spot on!

tori chelli
1st May 2004, 16:49
totally agree with AV8BOY

being able to help people who REALLY need help (which tends to be the private rather than professional fraternity) is a big job satisfier, and one of the advantages of working in theregionals rather than inside the M25, despite the pay differentials.

Agree with LonMore also, the only time in 24 years I didn't look forward to going to 'work' was during the two years I was pushing a desk.

vintage ATCO
1st May 2004, 17:42
Yes, there is considerbly more stress driving a desk, dealing with :mad: people above you than there is in front of a radar display. Now back to controlling, it's great. 33 yrs as an ATCO, I'd do it all over again (if they'd have me! :cool: )

VA

AC2
5th May 2004, 12:47
ATC? I love it to death. Well, 'til May 31.

That'll be 38 "and a haf" years up of being entertained by all happening around me, as it's orchestrated by the most wonderful bunch of individuals you could ever wish to meet. Honest!

Then I'll head for the PLOUGH and..........