PDA

View Full Version : RT Oral Exam Question

long final
20th Apr 2004, 06:26
A friend is taking her RT oral later this week and asked me what to expect. Apart from sitting in separate rooms and feeling a bit foolish to begin with I can't remember what the content was, how long it took, what the examiner specifically looked for, etc, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

LF

Evo
20th Apr 2004, 06:32
You do a 'flight' from A to B, with assorted fun along the way. Have a look at Safety Sense leaflet 22 here (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publications.asp?cattype=sercat&id=21) for an example test.

long final
20th Apr 2004, 07:21
Evo, ideal. Thanks

LF

Pink_aviator
20th Apr 2004, 08:06
Thanks from me to EVO , I needed that to.

THE PINKSTER

Whirlygig
20th Apr 2004, 08:11
I had the advantage of being offered a mock oral RT exam by another controller. It cost me but was worth it.

As part of the exam, you are given 10-15 minutes (can't remember exactly) to prepare. In this time, write down on a piece of paper the order of things for a MayDay. Also write down the points at which you plan to make various calls.

OK, things to remember:-

1. Press the button to talk!
2. Change frequency on the dial machine!
3. Don't abbreviate your call sign unless the examiner does so first.
4. The MayDay will be near the end of the route
5. Within reason, you can take as long as you want - you are flying from A to B and in reality that could be an hour long flight!
6. Take a glass of water in with you.
7. The route you are given will probably be fictitious.

Good luck

Cheers

Whirlygig

Maxflyer
20th Apr 2004, 09:43
I was under the impression that the Mayday could come at any time, based on the examiners personal choice.

steve_moate
20th Apr 2004, 09:52
One of the things I recall was that we went through a MATZ, and almost immediately crossed an ASR boundary, so requesting the MATZ penetration and zone transit also required a request for the QNH for the new region, the examiner never once offered the info - trap set. I was forewarned about this, but many others fell by the wayside.

Good fun though.

Monocock
20th Apr 2004, 09:55
The glass of water intrigues me...

Is that for the false teeth during the test or to pour over the equipment when it all goes tits up?

On a more serious note. I remember my test well. I was told by my instructor to have a "set" series of phrases that could be applied to different situations.

ie "En Route" patter made up of...

Reg
Type
From
To
Position
Altitude
Routing/MATZ req'd/Transit req'd
Service Required.

This can be applied to all "routing flights" and just needs the MATZ or Zone Transit bit plugged in as and when required

"Approaching Field to Land" made up of...

Reg
Type
Inbound from ......
Position relative to airfield
Altitude
"Requesting circuit details and QFE" or "Requesting joining instructions" if it's a controlled place rather than A/G or information.

I don't know if this is helpful but I have used it since and the fact that it becomes a routine makes the radio calls just a series of "set pieces".

:ok:

FNG
20th Apr 2004, 10:21
You may have to exercise a pictorial imagination. At the end of my test, I arrived at my imaginary destination and was told whilst ostensibly downwind that the runway was obstructed. I called going around, then downwind again. Runway still obstructed. I pretended to go around again. The Examiner asked my intentions. I got the hint and announced that I was diverting to the other field shown nearby on the made-up map. Of course in real life you would be able to see what was blocking the runway and decide what to do accordingly.

NB the Mayday may be a relay from another aircraft: you may have to relay a Mayday or Pan from an aircraft which the ground station cannot hear.

Boing_737
20th Apr 2004, 10:22
The "aircraft" that you are told you are "flying" could be different to the one you've been training in. I trained on PA28s and in the RT oral was briefed as a C-172 - so think before you speak (as always).

You have to plan your times so that you can give position reports, but you don't have to do the test in real-time. This means that you can go faster, but, as you have no cockpit to work in, just a dodgy box to "change frequency" on, there is little workload in between calls. You can therefore take your time working out your calls, and make notes if necessary.

I was told there is always class-A airspace included (there was on mine anyway) to read up on special VFR.

Study how to give good position reports - short and concise, not long winded. I believe using the word estimate is bad form...

The correct call is Final, not Finals - this just winds up the examiner!!

Download CAP-413 from the CAAs website and give it a good read (ignoring the bits about driving lorries across runways:D )

Relax!!

The Farmer
20th Apr 2004, 11:11
I sat my R/T a couple of weeks ago and the above all seems spot-on.

The briefing bumf I was given detailed that I only had a mode A transponder in v. small print - bit of a catch there when I was asked to sq. Charlie.

I fluffed a position report call on leaving controlled airspace, but other that that it's all quite good. The thing to do is ignore the strange surroundings and try to picture yourself actually flying the route. Keep it simple and most importantly use the time before the test to jot down your standard calls in the correct order as touched on above. R. I. P. Louis Hall etc... P. H. A. C. E. R. CAP413 is the puppy.

These days I tend to practice standard calls in the car too - "Sainsburys Approach G-FARM etc. etc..."

Moo Moo.

Whirlygig
20th Apr 2004, 11:27
It all comes flooding back - there is usually a Pan-Pan from another vessel (my case a boat drfiting on the sea) at any time but the May-Day is almost always at the end of the route; otherwise how can the exam continue if you've just crashed landed due to engine failure!!

There can be a diversion, so consider this in the back of your mind. Also there will probably be a MATZ crossing and SVFR clearance.

Glass of water - in case you get a dry throat with nerves??

Use the preparation time well - all the above is good advice. You can't take anything in with you but you can prepare and write it down. Be very aware of the aircraft you are told you are flying - I found it particularly difficult because I am a helicopter ;)

Cheers

Whirlygig

PS The Farmer - like it; might use your technique to get back in practice.

rotorboater
20th Apr 2004, 16:07
The tip I was given is just to take your time, write down your calls and plan them before keying the mike. My examiner said that a lot of people fail by not changing channel as well even when hinted by the examiner!

Well good luck and over & out;)

Boing_737
20th Apr 2004, 16:27
I guess the mayday can come anywhere then as mine was half way through. Also, it was a mayday relay from another aircraft. Finally, it was a really dodgy recording on a tape, so you had to listen hard.

FNG - I am assuming from your previous post you fly from WW, your RT exam sounds EXACTLY like mine. Was your diversion airfield in Class A airspace by any chance (as if that would ever happen:rolleyes: )

FlyingForFun
20th Apr 2004, 16:40
I guess they are all slightly different.

I remember mine well. I had to relay a Mayday - the examiner briefed me beforehand that I would hear a Mayday, and not hear him respond to it, and that was my queue to assume he hadn't heard it and so relay it.

I also had a Pan Pan - a rough-running engine. The examiner caused a buzzer to go off in my ear, and I was briefed beforehand that when I heard the buzzer I was to imagine that my engine was running rough, and take the appropriate action. Shortly afterwards, I was briefed, I would hear the same buzzer again, and the second time I heard it I was to imagine that the engine was now running normally again and I should cancel my Pan Pan.

A Special VFR crossing of a Class A zone was in there, too. I don't remember have a MATZ penetration or an ASR crossing, as others have said - I would imagine there is a variety of routes, each of which contains some, but not all, of the above?

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

long final
20th Apr 2004, 17:06
Thanks all very much for the input. I have passed all the info along, I am sure she will do just fine.

LF

Ripline
20th Apr 2004, 17:28
My RT examiner was kind enough to call from my last frequency telling me that I was approaching the limits of his coverage - a nice way of reminding me to "leave" his frequency and call the next!

The Mayday was indeed from another aircraft that couldn't be heard from the ground.

All this pattern work was quite interesting for a balloon pilot!

Ripline

--------------------
I don't think that the sky *is* the limit, you know. It's more likely to be the ground.

WestWind1950
20th Apr 2004, 17:56
we didn't have MAY DAY's in ours... but I remember it being a special VFR departure.
I bought myself a small airplane shaped button (like for sewing on children's clothes) and always had that placed in my supposed present postion... i.e. the position I had to make my next report. In our classes we had cut out small planes from paper, but the button was more fun! :D

Westy