PDA

View Full Version : America set to relax 9-11 airport security

LTNman
19th Apr 2004, 20:36
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh International could become the nation's first major airport to get the OK to abandon the post-Sept. 11 rule that says only ticketed passengers are allowed past security checkpoints.

Federal security officials are considering allowing people once more to say their hellos and goodbyes to friends and loved ones at the gate.

Airport officials and western Pennsylvania's congressional delegation have pushed for two years for the change for reasons of money and passenger convenience.

What happens here could become a model for other airports.

``This is new, this is exciting, because we're basically rewriting the security directives in order to allow nonticketed passengers to go through security,'' said JoAnn Jenny, spokeswoman for the Allegheny County Airport Authority, which runs the airport.

Pittsburgh is a strong candidate for the experiment for two reasons: It has a centralized security checkpoint in one terminal. And it has a full-scale shopping mall that has suffered a drop-off in business because it is reachable only by ticketed passengers.

Officials with the federal Transportation Security Administration met recently with Pittsburgh officials and expect to review a rough draft of the plan later this spring. It could take effect by summer if approved by the Homeland Security Department, Jenny said.

Certain issues still need to be worked out, such as how to prevent the people without tickets from holding up passengers during peak travel times.

``There's a customer service benefit to be had here, but at the end of the day, the security of the flying public at the Pittsburgh airport is going to come before anything else,'' said Ann Davis, TSA's Northeast regional spokeswoman. ``And I think passengers appreciate that.''

In the security crackdown in the weeks after Sept. 11, the Federal Aviation Administration said the nation's airports may no longer allow people without tickets past security checkpoints. It was among several security measures, some of which have since been relaxed, such as a ban on curbside pickups and the parking of cars close to terminals.

One industry expert said the Pittsburgh plan makes sense because airports need all the revenue they can find.

If the airport can make more money from merchant leases and parking fees, it can cut the rates airlines are charged to use the terminal, said Stephen Van Beek of the Airport Councils International-North America, a trade group.

That revenue is especially important in Pittsburgh, where US Airways, which controls about 80 percent of the gates, has been threatening to leave because of higher-than-average gate fees.

The Pittsburgh airport has a genuine shopping mall, Airmall, inside the main terminal, with 100 stores and restaurants - not just concession stands and souvenir shops, but brand-name establishments with the kind of prices found at an ordinary shopping center.

Mark Knight, regional manager for Airmall operator BAA USA Inc., said business is down about 12 percent in the past year. He said nearly half of that that is due to the security rule, while the rest is attributable to a drop in passengers caused by US Airways, which is cutting flights because of the gate fees.

``In this economy that other 4 or 5 percent could mean the difference between success and failure'' for an Airmall business, Knight said.

FakePilot
19th Apr 2004, 21:13
I'm happy about this. It's been my opinion that the ticket passengers only rule doesn't do much to improve security. Plus anything to make people's life easier/better at the airport I'm all for.

But I suppose that whenever I got through security I'd better not have my pocket knife on me. I suppose those rules will still be in effect.

Avman
19th Apr 2004, 22:30
I would be in favour as long as non-ticketed persons would have to submit valid I/D (passport or Drivers Licence) as an additional precaution. And before you all scream "they can be fake", so can boarding passes!!!

Basil
19th Apr 2004, 22:37
In the climate of IRA, ETA, Palestinian, Red Brigade, Middle Eastern related etc. etc. terrorism with which we (in Europe) have lived for decades I totally fail to see the point of allowing anyone other than passengers and staff through security to the gate.
It only makes life more difficult for security and removes an obstacle for the bad guys.

Nineiron
19th Apr 2004, 23:29
It has not been customary to do this in Europe because historically the departure lounge has been a 'duty free' area.
I agree with Basil - what's the point?
Could you imagine LHR T3 with goodbyes at the gates! There's barely enough room and facilities for ticket holders at times.

Load Toad
20th Apr 2004, 00:11
...because it really is important to say 'hello' and wave 'goodbye' at the actual gate. Not at home, the car park, bus stop, train station,at the check-in, just before security....

No it has to be the gate.

If nothing else making for a more crammed, hassle filled noisy hell hole with extra confusion that just might 'help' some body bent on causing other a bad time.

broadreach
20th Apr 2004, 00:29
I'm with Basil. See no point in all that traffic to and from departure gates miles away. Besides, some of us need time to put smiles on our mugs.

Farrell
20th Apr 2004, 09:21
Not to mention that one of the bigger threats to security seems to be Sky Marshalls who leave their guns in toilets and whatnot....!

ShamRoc
20th Apr 2004, 10:30
Fine, so anybody can go to the gate for last minute farewells and to do their shopping! Seems that money/profits speaks louder than security.
But if I heard the news correctly this morning we may have to check in 5 hours before departure for flights TO the USA. This is so that details can be sent to the USA before boarding approval is issued (by USA authorities?)! If that means a significant drop in passenger numbers will the airlines instead of the shopping mall complain about lost revenue?
Mind you, having passengers hanging around for 5 hours before departure must benefit shops and restaurants, and of course bars at airports! No problem there then.

hobie
20th Apr 2004, 10:58
almost the last line of defence is surely "Security upon entering the departure area" ??? ........ now we face anything upto half a dozen more bodies or so per passenger, going through this final security check, just to say goodbye !!!! ..............

I sometimes despair ........

jafo33
20th Apr 2004, 10:59
This is typical of the Americans. No matter what problems they have with their security, it always has to come second to making money. No doubt the shopkeepers in the Pittsburgh Airport mall all screamed to their Congressman/woman about the threat to their jobs.

The Americans continue to be the hypocrites of aviation security. Their poorly trained and poorly paid security staff still make appalling blunders, such as the woman passenger who was allowed to board carrying a spray canister of mace (or pepper spray). I'm sure the person that scanned her luggage got a 'strict' telling off and no more. As for the woman who left her gun in the Ladies room, well.....

Yet if this had happened in the UK, the Americans would be swift to accuse us of not doing enough to prevent terrorism. What they really mean is, prevent a threat to the US. Hence their bullying tactics to make us use 'skymarshalls'.

There is no reason whatsoever for anyone but ticketed passengers to go through security to the gate. If a couple of newspaper stalls and the obligatory Starbucks suffer a loss of business, so be it.

I'm sure that a terrorist would not hesitate to enlist a few people to 'wave him off', all with a few more pounds of explosive or other threat to life. The more we allow unnecessary people through, the greater the threat to everyone. Its a shame the Americans are too greedy to see this.

Sorry about the rant, but when are these people going to learn?

Huck
20th Apr 2004, 11:15
The Americans continue to be the hypocrites of aviation security.

My gosh, you're right! I've never thought of it that way before!

Any way you can work Halliburton in there, as well? Perhaps they OWN Starbucks.

Welcome to PPRune. What a fine contribution you will make, with rapier-sharp comments like that....

20th Apr 2004, 11:20
On the other hand, I fail to see what the huge terrorist panic is all about anyway! Simple RACIAL AND RELIGEOUS PROFILING would do away with all the nonsense, and since we're okay with xenophobia on this topic, shouldn't upset too many people.

:}

Faire d'income
20th Apr 2004, 11:42
This is obviously just a stepping stone. The next stage will be to allow folks say their goodbyes on board. After that friends and relatives will be allowed to remain on board until reaching the runway where they will then be disembarked into a securityfree shopping mall.

I despair at the lack of intelligence ( pardon the gag ) within the security arrangements across the Atlantic.

davethelimey
20th Apr 2004, 11:43
Must agree with those who say that it won't make much of a difference to security, what with everyone being scanned anyway. However, TSA officials are already underpaid, undermotivated and overworked, and it's conceivable that this rule change could increase through-traffic at security by probably two times, and quite possibly more, leaving them even more overworked and increasing the liklihood of cockups. Besides that, most airports are crowded enough already, and there would be nothing worse than dodging a bunch of blubbing family members on your way to your flight which departs in five minutes.

By the way, Jafo, fun as it must be to be so culturally superior, perhaps I could ask that you keep your idiotic generalisations to yourself.

jafo33
20th Apr 2004, 12:19
Dave,

You obviously miss the point of Pprune. Its a place for people to express their generalisations, idiotic or not. Shame you don't get that.;)

Got to agree with Faire. Why bother with tickets or boarding cards at all. In fact the new cost cutting measure could be a credit card machine by the boarding gate. Just pop your card in, pay a fee and board the 'plane.

Sorry my wit isn't as sharp as yours Huck. I obviously don't have your natural advantages. BTW, aren't Halliburton pulling out of Iraq now its all hitting the fan over there? After being one of the first to make sure they got the prime contracts? But that would be going off topic.:p

PaperTiger
20th Apr 2004, 16:28
Providing everyone is effectively screened at the security checkpoint, what does it matter if they are passengers or not ?

Design of the new terminal at PIT (and DTW) began before 9/11 and as a result there are no facilities in the 'unsecured' areas. No lounges, no cafes, not even a bog. I don't know how much revenue was estimated from meeters-and-greeters, but obviously now the actual figure is $0. And that is significant - the more money the franchisees make, the higher rents the airport can charge and (hopefully) the less they have to recover from landing fees etc.

Unlike just about every other (1st world) country I can think of, allowing non-pax to the gates was common practice in the US. And very civilised it was too, IMO. I prefer airports to be happy, relaxed places instead of resembling armed camps; although that may well have changed for ever.

It is not a security issue per se (see above), what it does do is add to the screening bottleneck. Even before 9/11, some US airports would restrict concourse access during busy times. Presumably the situation at Pittsburg has been examined enough to determine that there is sufficient capacity for the additional screening. And one would also hope the TSA has grown more efficient in the 2½ years since its inception.

I must say some of the objections raised here are a bit strange. What on earth would be the point of checking IDs ? Are the screeners going to write the details down, look them up in CAPPS, NCIS or do what ? And before someone raises the spectre of an assault in the secure area, I would like to remind you just exactly where the attacks at Rome, Vienna and Lod were carried out. And a car bomb doesn't need to even enter the building.

I hope they give it a try although I think there will be quite a battle with the security mandarins. Thin end of the wedge to their empires and all that.

In fact the new cost cutting measure could be a credit card machine by the boarding gate.Hmmm great idea, wonder why nobody's thought of it?
Oh wait..., Eastern Airlines Shuttle, although you did have to wait to pay until you were aboard.

mytdc10
20th Apr 2004, 16:41
If this goes ahead it will make American airports even more congested... the lineup/queue at security at the moment are unacceptable. What will it be like when the traffic increases as familys/friends will also join the never ending security queue to say there good byes??

Low-Pass
20th Apr 2004, 20:13
As mentioned, percentage-wise, it'll make it harder for the security folk to spot a nasty item and will make queues longer (5 hours you say?!). I bet that bizjet companies are rubbing their hands with all the exta business that they'll be getting.

I've often wondered how long it would be before security measures were compromised due to commercial pressure. The thing is that security doesn't need to be reduced to improve passenger "flow". All the TSA has to do is turn around and say "Hey, you European guys, we need some help. Can you show us how to do this effectively as you have been doing it for many years?"

Just something to think about...

BRISTOLRE
21st Apr 2004, 09:31
Yes TSA is beefing up security.
All flights to the USA now have to provide a list of all on board so that they can screen ALL individuals BEFORE the flight leaves its airport of origin. These lists must go to the TSA otherwise aircraft will NOT be allowed to depart.

runawayedge
21st Apr 2004, 09:40
I cant see any reason why terms of endearment need to be expressed at the gate. Seems the US want two sets of regs those for US citizens and another set for everyone else. And then of course when someone cries foul you hurl abuse at them. However, who pays for security...i believe the user should. In this case a charge should apply to non pax wishing to enter the secrity zone, and the commercial benefactors should pay a percentage of additional revenue earned towards providing enhanced security. Can't have it every way folks!

av8boy
21st Apr 2004, 16:15
Well thought-out, I'm certain...

From a TSA press release dated June 28, 2002

WASHINGTON DC-Under Secretary of Transportation for Security John W. Magaw announced today that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is hiring approximately 320 federal security screeners for Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) Pittsburgh...

From Pittsburgh-Live

April 15, 2003, A federal security spokesman acknowledged Tuesday that a screening manager at Pittsburgh International Airport had violated federal regulations by allowing a passenger to handle a loaded handgun at an airline ticket counter. ...the weapon involved was a .22-caliber handgun, which was loaded. He said the passenger was allowed to handle the weapon -- to remove the bullets -- at an airline ticket counter.

In May 2003, a schizophrenic man from Texas sneaked through the [Pittsburgh] airport's luggage system, stole an airline van and climbed aboard a parked jet. He wasn't discovered until the next morning.

An undercover federal employee walked unnoticed in February 2003 through the [Pittsburgh Airport] security checkpoint during a test ordered by TSA officials in Washington, D.C. Screeners involved were suspended for three days, according to screeners union members.

An Oakland man in December 2002 duped a security employee who was checking tickets at the Pittsburgh checkpoint by flashing a state constable's badge that was not his. Michael Kobold was caught moments later at a gate by a U.S. Customs inspector and arrested. Kobold, a German national, was indicted by a federal grand jury, and faces five years in prison and/or deportation. The security employee involved is not a federal screener. He works for Huntleigh USA, which US Airways hired to check tickets.

From the May 3, 2003, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

...The TSA plans to eliminate 230 of the 570 screener jobs at the airport by Sept. 30, the end of the federal fiscal year. The Pittsburgh job cuts are among 6,000 nationwide that will be made by the TSA by then....

TSA Union Press Release

July 14, 2003 The U.S. Transportation Security Administration is holding firm to its plan to eliminate 230 security screeners at Pittsburgh International Airport, despite objections by airport and union leaders who say the cuts will create long lines and delay passengers. The TSA is slashing the number of screeners at the airport by 40 percent even though the number of originating passengers who pass through security checkpoints has dropped by just 3 percent in the past year. That means little more than half the screeners will be left to ensure nearly the same number of passengers and luggage cleared to travel from Pittsburgh International. "They have to readjust it," said Peter Winch, a coordinator with the American Federation of Government Employees, the national union representing screeners at Pittsburgh International. "If they lay off 230 screeners, they will not be able to do the job. It just can't physically be done."

The Pittsburgh screeners have a very active union life. I honestly don't know whether TSA has set these guys up for a fall because of union/mgmt problems, or not. What's more, I don't have independent data on the workload or level of competence among screeners at Pittsburgh. I do, however, remain very curious and more than a little concerned about this whole thing. Is this change a good idea in general, and should it start at Pittsburgh in particular?

Dave

nibor
21st Apr 2004, 18:54
Why is it that the rest of the world is looking at extra security measures like passenger profiling at check-in and boarding cards with digitally encoded phoographs so that security can check that the passenger who checked-in is the same one who is trying to get to the gate, not to mention the US requirement biometric passports when every man and his dog can get to the gate 'over the pond'.
If security is 99% accurate then you only need 100 terrorists to attempt to get through security, under the guise of going shopping, and the one that gets through can give his weapon to the 1 team member who actually risked checking in.

In europe the idea goes something like this:-

1. All booked passenger names are fed through a computer database and any suspect names are picked up on.

2. Passports are checked carefully before any passenger is given a boarding card.

3. Only people with a valid boarding card get through security (ways are being experimented with to make sure that they are the same person who actually checked-in).

It may not be perfect and we know that fake passports are available for the right price but at least a potential terrorist has to make an effort.

Confirmed Must Ride
22nd Apr 2004, 11:12
How the US can even think of lowering security access is beyond me. I know of stations in US where you can still access 'airside areas' without passing throughn x-ray/metal detector. Not small stations either but very large international ones.

Come on US make an effort. It is the airlines that need to make money at an airport - concession stores are a benefit. Take away the security and its going to be de-ja-vous. So instead of the coffee shops out of business it will be 100,000-200,000 major airline employees

PaperTiger
22nd Apr 2004, 15:51
How the US can even think of lowering security access is beyond me. I must have missed where it says security is to be lowered. Everyone gets screened - pax, non-pax, crew. Longer security lines perhaps, lower security doesn't follow.

Confirmed Must Ride
23rd Apr 2004, 11:46
When the line of 100 suddenly becomes 500 because of friends and relatives joining you at the gate - tempers raised, people getting anxiuos about missing flights - standards will drop as they try to process people quicker.