PDA

View Full Version : Have to go to Telford

MikeeB
19th Apr 2004, 15:40
I have to attend a short event in Telford next month, and a quick look at my 1/2 mill chart reveals not a lot in the way of places to land.

I'd have to get a taxi from any airfield to the Telford International Centre.

Anyone any ideas of places I could land? (I'm just over 60hours PPL)

Thanks

Whirlybird
19th Apr 2004, 15:58
Depends what you're flying. There is - or was - a microlight field at Shifnal, which is only a few miles away. It may have closed; there were rumours that it was going to. And I don't have a number for them. Ask the BMAA maybe? But it does have VERY short runways.

Otherwise AFAIK the closest airfields are Sleap and Wolverhampton.

bar shaker
19th Apr 2004, 16:05
I know Shifnal was open at the end of last year but also have no contact details.

Paging Martin Burney.

Rote 8
19th Apr 2004, 16:16
Telford eh - lucky you!

Shropshire Microlight school - 01952 276603 - Speak to Tim Guest. The strip is between Telford and Shifnal and only about half a mile from the International Centre. I think they are still flying but short grass strip.

For something larger RAF Cosford would be the nearest to Telford - about 5 or 6 miles.

As mentioned your closest civil fields are Sleap (north of Shrewsbury) or Wolverhampton (in Bobbington, between Bridgnorth and Wolverhampton).

tmmorris
20th Apr 2004, 08:02
FWIW it was reported last year that Cosford are actively encouraging civil traffic for Telford - if you already have the necessary insurance (can't remember the limit) and carry proof, you don't need to pay the insurance charge - but tell OPS when you phone for PPR or they will charge you anyway.

Tim

Monocock
20th Apr 2004, 08:08
I know of a 520 metre one at Bridgnorth if that's of any use. I believe it about 12 miles from Telford.

What are you going to be flying there in as this might make a difference as to whether the owner is ok about it...

Whipping Boy's SATCO
20th Apr 2004, 08:22
Sherlowe (SWB 155/04) - grass.
Peplow (SWB 090/06) - Tarmac

The rest of the details are in Pooleys etc. From Sherlowe to Telford wil take 20 mins.

MikeeB
20th Apr 2004, 08:23
I'm going to look into Cosford.

A/C will probably be a PA28.

Thanks for help so far !!!

VIKKI
20th Apr 2004, 12:41
what a treat for you to going to telford!!!

depends if you're going at the weekend as cosford dont take civvy traffic at weekends but in the week it can be v quiet

i fly from cosford and they are always friendly and helpful

10mins down the M54 and you're in telford town centre

have fun

MikeeB
20th Apr 2004, 12:45
I rang them this morning, and they were very helpful. When I gave the dates, the gentleman on the other end of the phone just asked if it was a weekend or B/H. (which it isn't)

I have to get a copy of the club's insurance cert. otherwise I'll have to pay an extra £20 for the £7.5m cover required, but other than that, "we look forward to seeing you" :)

Even better, I was told the landing fee would be around £5-10 (is that normal MOD rates?) based on weight.

Fingers crossed for good weather now !!!

Blind lemon
22nd Apr 2004, 17:19
Theres a few in Shropshire

As already mentioned theres Shifnal but thats usually only used by Microlights and quite short. Next closest is Sherlowe (Grass)followed by Peplow, which used to be Childs Ercall (800m Tarmac). Theres also Rednal (700m Tarmac) and Knockin (Grass). and shropshires answer to GA, Sleap.

If you feeling loaded theres always Cosford or Shawbury

Hope this helps

If its by helicopter I also know of acouple of Helipads ??

MikeeB
22nd Apr 2004, 17:35
If you feeling loaded theres always Cosford or Shawbury

Can you define loaded?

I've rung Cosford and I was told £5-10 depending on weight. Have I been given duff information, in which case can somebody give me an idea of how much I *will* be paying? (for a PA-28). On the face of it, when I was told the estimated costs on the phone, I was quite suprised at the low cost.

Thanks for everyone's help. This interweb thingy is really useful :)

maggioneato
22nd Apr 2004, 19:15
We paid over £40 years ago to land a 172 at Cosford, that included top up insurance. Maybe they have reviewed their fees and are now more GA friendly. :E

RichyRich
23rd Apr 2004, 09:28
Can you define loaded?

usually maximum: 2350 lb for a PA28 springs to mind.

MikeeB
23rd Apr 2004, 09:39
Loaded in the context I read above was refering to financial status?

Fuji Abound
23rd Apr 2004, 09:47
I dont think the clubs insurance certificate will do any longer. The MOD usually require you to have obtained an insurance certificate from Strike - that is certainly the case for Brize.

Blind lemon
23rd Apr 2004, 13:54
By loaded I meant greenbacks. Its the usual MOD rates, £7.18 per half metric tonne plus VAT and also £8.50 Casual User Fee for MOD insurance. I suppose this is diddley squat for some flyers.

Dont forget that 24 Hours notice is usually required too.

On the plus side Cosford has a railway station only two stops from Telford Town Centre.

MikeeB
26th Apr 2004, 12:47
After reading the aerial photography thread above.... got me thinking....

My flight to Telford - I am doing this to attend a meeting for work. I am getting paid while I fly. This is paying for my time in the same way they do if I drive my car, or catch the train. They are not paying me to fly the aeroplane.

It is my choice to fly there (subject to weather of course) rather than spend 2 hours stuck on the motorways around Brum at 17:00hrs. The company has given me the choice. I will claim back the cost of hire+landing, in much the same way that I would claim mileage if I drove or rode my bike + the NCP parking. Not illegal the way I understand.

Two people from work, who are also attending the same meeting have expressed an interest in flying with me. Of course I can not force them to go with me, the company can not either, it is their choice, and I will make it clear to them, in writing that it is their choice to come with me, and they will not be expcected to pay any contribution towards the cost of the flight.

Anyone think of anything I've missed to keep this legal?

FNG
26th Apr 2004, 12:52
Your flight will be perfectly legal. You are not being paid for flying, but are being paid in your regular job for the time you spend en route to a meeting. "Motor mileage" equivalent is expressly covered and allowed by art 130 ANO. You can claim direct costs from your employer, which would otherwise pay your train fare or motoring costs. See the CAA's summary, linked to from the "remuneration" thread, although it sounds from your post as though you already have a good understanding of the rules. Have a good trip.